Alabama Adrenaline Junkie

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Alabama Adrenaline Junkie

Postby lvnmykds » Apr 12, 2012 3:54 pm

My dad took me to Tumbling Rock when I was younger and we didn't make it but about 100 yards in before I had fallen in love with the cave scene. Since then, I have made my way to a few commercial caves, as well as some smaller caves here in Alabama. I actually have a small, one level cave close to home that I frequent. I've only had minor (no rope) vertical trips in the past and the rest have been horizontal, but I'm ready to change that. I've been stalking Ebay recently for some decently priced equipment while keeping durability in mind, I'm just not sure what to look for though. I've always been kind of a loner when it comes to my play time and don't really know any "experienced" cavers to talk to about it. I work/travel so much that its also hard for me to make time for the Grotto meetings. (Looking to join Bham Grotto first chance I get) Everything I know about caves I either learned from my dad when I was younger, or from the internet, and I'm always looking to increase my knowledge......
Anyway, My name is Keith and I love The Real Underground
lvnmykds
Infrequent Poster

Name: Keith

Re: Alabama Adrenaline Junkie

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Apr 13, 2012 12:47 pm

You should consider coming to the SERA Summer Cave Carnival next month that is being hosted by the Birmingham Grotto. Dates are May 3rd-6th. Go to http://bhamgrotto.org/sera2012/index.html for more information on registratin costs & location. There will be vendors on site and you can browse their tents and see all the gear. If you can't come for the whole weekend you can get a day pass. :grin:
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby lvnmykds » Apr 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Thank you for the info. I would love to go if I can get off!
lvnmykds
Infrequent Poster

Postby tagkycaver » Jun 20, 2012 6:12 pm

careful buying used gear, especially vertical gear, on ebay; you don't know the history, and internal damage is not always apparent.
tagkycaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17845
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville

Postby lvnmykds » Oct 8, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up caver. I'll surely take that into consideration and stay away from Ebay entirely when it comes to my safety.
lvnmykds
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions