CONCEPT FRIDAY - Quiet Case for Socket Set Part 1

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

CONCEPT FRIDAY - Quiet Case for Socket Set Part 1

Postby Rick Brinkman » Apr 13, 2012 8:34 pm

CONCEPT FRIDAY - QUIET CASE for SOCKET SET PART 1
4/13/2012

The old plastic case for my socket set is about "done for". One latch is broken, the second will break soon, and I think the hinge isn't far behind. This set is the set that stays in the car all the time. The sockets rattle when I drive on a gravel road.

Time for a quiet case. Today's goal was to see if I could even build something out of fabric that would hold sockets. I was able to make one holder for one set of sockets. The holder rolls up to hold the sockets in place. I plan to sew Velco to the back of the "roll". The Velcro will hold the set in place in the final case. I also plan to add a label strip inside the holder - just above the sockets...as well as on the outside. I won't add the Velcro or labels until all the socket holders are completed.

I'll be working on the rest of the holders this week. I don't know if I'll get to the actual case by next Friday, but I'll try.

Image Image
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: CONCEPT FRIDAY - Quiet Case for Socket Set Part 1

Postby Rick Brinkman » Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

I know...not caving gear. Again. But I'm learning more each week and my sewing is looking much "prettier".

When I can find the right materials...I'll go back to the compass/clino case and make it look nicer and be more cave worthy. In the meantime, I'm open to ideas. I'd consider building a cave pack, but I will not sell one. There are other great packs out there and I have no intention of....

....oh...there is one that needs an optional "better" suspension system. Hmm....forgot about that idea and didn't write it down.

BUT, I'm running out of ideas.

Any "I wish my ________ did _____ better" thoughts???? Doesn't HAVE to be sewing. I can weld too. Actually, that's the way I think about sewing.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Return to Open Talk Forum