New Pit Rope Question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

New Pit Rope Question

Postby OUT-OF-BOUNDS » Mar 27, 2012 9:03 am

Hey Everyone!!!

I have found some information on the PMI max-wear 7/16 being hard to tie knots but stronger vs. PMI 7/16 E-Z being easier to tie knots but weaker around sharper edges, What would you guys recommend as being a better choice? I am leaning towards the max-wear since my last static rope eventually abraded and got soft at points. What kind of rope does everyone use for bouncing pits?
OUT-OF-BOUNDS
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Re: New Pit Rope Question

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

Get PMI PIt Rope. The construction and materials is exactly the same as Max, but without the red stripe. Pit Rope is solid white and a little cheaper. The only construction difference in Max vs EZ is the sheath is wound tighter on Max, making it stiffer and harder, thus more durable. Get the Pit Rope.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Mar 27, 2012 11:12 am

I agree with Scott. I have used PMI white pit rope for years and never had a problem. I suspect the options are fine as well but I just prefer the pit rope. Get as many opinions as possible . I think Chad and some others use or have used Talon. I have not priced rope lately so I do not know how that compares in price.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby rebelfirefighter » Mar 27, 2012 12:14 pm

The knots are a little bit harder to tie in the pit rope because its stiffer but not enough to make much of a difference. Go with the Pit Rope for sure.
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby OUT-OF-BOUNDS » Mar 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Thank you all for the replies, the PMI pit rope is was what I am going to get since people talk about it all the time I just wanted to make sure and see if there were any other ropes to compare it to. All in all, the PMI pit rope looks the best and the price looks good too :)
OUT-OF-BOUNDS
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby Yahtaa » Mar 27, 2012 4:50 pm

I love my PMI pit rope. Wouldn't want to dangle from anything else. Not too mention it's a hometown support thing. Live like 20 minutes from the manufacturer.
Derrick Mull
Triforce Underground
NSS#63556
SCCi#2965 (sustaining)
"Quench and squelch! You'll get through that hole."
Yahtaa
Occasional Poster

Name: Derrick Mull
NSS #: 63556

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 27, 2012 6:21 pm

I have 10mm talon and 11mm ex bend. I prefer ez bend. I love 10mm ez bend

It's all about your personal preference and RIGGING SKILL.

10mm is great for clean drops. 11mm for rubbing drops.

If I ever buy a fantastic pit rope. Probably gonna go with 10mm no need for 11mm in that pit. No rub points
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Mar 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Chad, just curious but if there are no rub points and the rope was only going to be used occasionally why not go for 9mm and save some weight?

Recently I've been most fond of 10mm Max Wear for all around caving. Seems to ride nicely on a variety of descenders, knot easily enough for me, and still retain a lot of toughness. If you're a meticulous rope-padder EZ Bend is awesome to work with.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Lava » Mar 27, 2012 10:46 pm

My vote is for 10mm Ez-bend. Far superior rappel, but you have to learn to rig it so it doesn't rub. Although it's still pretty tough when it does.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 28, 2012 1:21 am

LukeM wrote:Chad, just curious but if there are no rub points and the rope was only going to be used occasionally why not go for 9mm and save some weight?

Recently I've been most fond of 10mm Max Wear for all around caving. Seems to ride nicely on a variety of descenders, knot easily enough for me, and still retain a lot of toughness. If you're a meticulous rope-padder EZ Bend is awesome to work with.

ive never had the chance to rappel on 9mm yet. Id go for 9mm for a fantastic pit rope, lol. hauling 11mm up the mountain sucks, and even more so if it gets wet and muddy on the way out of the cave. :D
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fireman1904 » Mar 28, 2012 7:40 am

I vote for the regular old white PMI pit rope. Its supposed to be the same as Max Wear but without the red stripe so a little cheaper since they don't have the color. Its not bad to tie when new but it does get harder and harder over time. But I have never touched any that you couldn't tie. I have used, and I am sure many other people on here have used, some of MOS pit rope...... the only limp spots in his rope is where the sheath is almost worn through. And even with it you can get a knot in it.... :rofl:
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby LukeM » Mar 28, 2012 8:25 am

Chads93GT wrote:ive never had the chance to rappel on 9mm yet. Id go for 9mm for a fantastic pit rope, lol. hauling 11mm up the mountain sucks, and even more so if it gets wet and muddy on the way out of the cave. :D

Your back will thank you!
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 28, 2012 10:06 am

The last two times I did Fantastic we used a 10mm rope. The pig was half the size of normal. Amazing that 1mm can make that much difference.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Mar 28, 2012 11:38 am

When going to 10 or even 9 , how much less friction do you have ?? Do you use more bars than with 11 mil ? I understand it is easier to carry up the hill and through the cave. It seems to me it may be hard to justify the purchase of a rope for just Fantastic or maybe just caves that have a free hang. Most people buy a rope and use it for just about everything until they retire it. I think the death in Mega Well they were using a 9 or 10 mil. Chad and I recently received copies of the report on that. I think one lesson we learned from the Mega Well incident was not to mix Euro style rope with American style rigging. I am heavy and use all 6 bars with 11 mil. I wonder what friction options I would have with 9mil.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm

If anyone out there wants to see a copy of the accident report for Mega Well and the post accident analysis send me an e-mail ( codyjpme@att.net) and I can forward it to you. It was in a Georgia Underground issue from back in the early 90s. I suggest anyone read this before using 9 mil rope with American style rigging. "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it " . I know you likely will be safe in a free hang but check it out anyway, it could save your life.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum