Bangor Cave Past and Present

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Bangor Cave Past and Present

Postby lowellhenderson65 » Mar 9, 2012 4:37 pm

In Blount County Alabama Bangor Cave is known by most. It is part of our history and a storied part of our past. The picture above is how the cave looked as of a couple of weeks ago when I was there. You don’t have to look very closely to see the graffiti on the wall of this historical landmark. This destruction has been going on for decades and will take lots of time and effort to clean it up.

Read more: http://socyberty.com/society/bangor-cav ... z1oer8mwya
lowellhenderson65
Infrequent Poster

Re: Bangor Cave Past and Present

Postby tncaver » Mar 9, 2012 7:53 pm

It is interesting how similar the entrance to Bangor cave is to the entrance of Cumberland Caverns in TN (minus grafitti).
The grafitti at the entrance of Bangor Cave looks fixable. I just hope it doesn't continue into the cave.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lowellhenderson65 » Mar 9, 2012 9:51 pm

Unfortunately it does. Some grafitti dates back a very long time.
lowellhenderson65
Infrequent Poster

Postby tncaver » Mar 10, 2012 6:39 am

lowellhenderson65 wrote:Unfortunately it does. Some grafitti dates back a very long time.

Graffiti that is old enough (like 1800's) is considered historical documentation rather than graffiti. You may want to consult with some
cave historians before you decide to clean it all off. There could be modern graffiti on top of historical signatures. I recommend you
contact Alan Cressler. He can probably tell you what is safe to remove and suggest how to do it as well.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum