NCRC Weeklong 2012

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2012

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 4, 2012 11:54 am

Indymonkey wrote:shibumi, told me to sign up for the level 1 class or he wouldnt take me caving anymore.

Guess Ill see you guys this summer. :bananabat:

He can be very persuasive that way. I'm trying to threaten a couple of friends here with something similar, but they keep whining about final exams and graduation. I keep telling them, "priorities!" but they won't listen.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

NCRC Weeklong 2012-Wilderness

Postby cavedoc » Mar 5, 2012 11:52 pm

Still room in the Caving and Wilderness First Aid portion of NCRC weeklong. If you've done Level 2 and want to learn something new, consider getting your wilderness first aid certificate. The course includes a 2 day wilderness first aid course, extra medical talks related to cave rescue, psychological first aid, and a review of level 2 rigging. All the field exercises will emphasize medical care of the patient. This is great preparation for anyone planning on leading an expedition.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby cave-xplorer » Mar 6, 2012 2:41 am

Looking to carpool with someone on Friday the 18th from the Chattanooga airport to NCRC. Thank you.
cave-xplorer
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 61744re
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Timp. grotto

Postby cave-xplorer » Mar 7, 2012 2:30 am

I am going to NCRC this year, I will be flying into Chattanooga on Friday the 18, is anyone carpooling to Mentone?
cave-xplorer
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 61744re
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Timp. grotto

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 7, 2012 2:45 am

cave-xplorer wrote:I am going to NCRC this year, I will be flying into Chattanooga on Friday the 18, is anyone carpooling to Mentone?

There will almost certainly be folks coming in from Chattanooga on the 18th. As it gets closer to May, you may want to ask around then. You'll probably get a better response.

Worst case, instructors and staff have been known to do airport/bus trips when required. (Ask me how I found that apparently intercity busses drop folks off in the middle of Indianapolis at what is apparently just a city park. :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Just a bump up to remind folks that the seminar is coming up.

And the price goes up by $50 come April 22. So make sure to sign up soon. (or sign up later and pay more, it's your money. ;-)

Seriously, remember in addition the usual Level 1-3 classes, this year they are again offering TOFE (not toffee, which would be good to, but not as relevant :-).

And this year they are offering Level 2/WFR (levle 2 refresher + Wilderness First Aid). So even if you've come before there's new stuff you can try!

Click here for details.

Oh and if you haven't been to Mentone, the location is great with awesome food!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Indymonkey » Apr 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Finally paid in full, looking forward to a week with no cell phone service and learning some new skills.

:bananabat:

Will any of the instruction material be sent out before weeklong? It would be nice to have some time to familiarize myself with the material.
Indymonkey
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Indymonkey wrote:Will any of the instruction material be sent out before weeklong? It would be nice to have some time to familiarize myself with the material.

For pre-course student material, click here - http://www.caves.org/commission/ncrc/na ... ources.htm :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Indymonkey » Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Indymonkey wrote:Will any of the instruction material be sent out before weeklong? It would be nice to have some time to familiarize myself with the material.

For pre-course student material, click here - http://www.caves.org/commission/ncrc/na ... ources.htm :waving:

Awesome, thanks. :kewl:
Indymonkey
Occasional Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 19, 2012 12:47 am

Indymonkey wrote:Finally paid in full, looking forward to a week with no cell phone service and learning some new skills.

:bananabat:

Will any of the instruction material be sent out before weeklong? It would be nice to have some time to familiarize myself with the material.

Let's see. We've got those rope things and lots of clippy things. You'll need at least a pair of grippy things and a slidey thing. Oh and a head thingie.

:laughing:

Seriously NZcaver's link is the place to go.

Looks like we've got a good turn-out this year. I'm excited.

(I'll be driving from the Albany NY area, or Washington DC (depends on some business stuff) and looking to arrive Thursday evening. So if folks need a ride, let me know. Might be able to work things out.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby botkin02 » Apr 28, 2012 3:32 pm

I live in Chattanooga and I'm registered for the NCRC weeklong. I'll have some extra room in my 4runner for two or three extra people. I'd say four, but one of my seatbelts doesn't work. I wouldn't mind picking people up at the airport if I could get some help with gas. We can load up the back and put stuff on the roof racks like Clampetts.

PM me if you're interested.
bo
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Name: Bo Lancaster
NSS #: 62989

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 28, 2012 9:33 pm

BTW, I should report the Caving and Wilderness First Aid course that cavedoc was leading has unfortunately been cancelled due to lack of interest.

There's still room (but not much) in the remaining classes.

I think this will be one of the largest Week-Longs I've seen.

So, if you haven't signed up yet, you had better sign up soon, since some classes are very close to being full. (Level 2 is probably the closest to filling up. 4 slots left at this point.)
(Level 1 has 5 slots left).

So hurry up!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby marybeth wells » May 14, 2012 9:23 am

Hey NCRC-ers,

I'm flying into Atlanta Friday night, and looking for people to carpool with. The bad news is that my flight comes in at 9:30... any chance other people are geting in late and want to share a ride? I was under the impression that there would be a shuttle to Mentone that night... oops.

Or, if anyone is driving from Atlanta to Mentone Saturday morning, maybe I could get a hotel room, then ride over in the morning?

Thanks!
MaryBeth
(603)209-6649
maryelizabethwells (at) gmail.com
marybeth wells
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pahasapa Grotto

Postby Indymonkey » May 14, 2012 11:17 pm

If anyone needs a ride from Indianapolis to to Mentone or anywhere in between, I have an empty seat. My car is small though so if you have 3 pieces of luggage it will not work. :big grin: I plan on leaving Indy around 7 or 8 am Friday, and it looks to be a 7 hour trip if your along the way.
Indymonkey
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 14, 2012 11:22 pm

It's like a 'holey' pilgrimage... :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum