2014 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2014 Convention

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Jumping the gun probably. But has the location of the 2014 convention been decided?
I google searched and didnt find anything, except for a Yahoo Group called "2014 Convention Staff", which is a closed list.

Was just curious :-)
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: 2014 Convention

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 1, 2012 4:29 pm

Kyle,

There was a report given at the October BOG meeting on a 2014 Potential NSS Convention Site at Rolla, Missouri hosted by multiple grottos in Missouri... https://secure.caves.org/nss-business/m ... 110BOG.pdf.

The 2014 Convention Staff Yahoo Group (closed group) you are seeing is a group created by Julie Schenck Brown. Her and Peter "Muduppy" Michaud were putting together a proposal for the 2014 Convention as individuals (no grotto backing). Their plans are to host it at the new NSS building. I think Pup may be giving a proposal at the Spring BOG meeting in March in Kennesaw, GA. They went ahead and created that group last year so they could start working on their proposal.

Kelly
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby mgmills » Mar 1, 2012 5:13 pm

Nothing against Pup and Julie but I think Missouri would be a better choice. There was a convention in Huntsville in 2005. People come to T.A.G. to cave regardless of whether or not there is a convention. I personally think it is too soon for another T.A.G. convention.

Will be interesting to see if a proposal is forth coming. If I was on the BOG it would take a lot to convince me to go with a proposal with no grotto backing vs. one with multiple grottos backing it.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864

Postby speleo » Mar 1, 2012 9:24 pm

I would like to attend a convention in Missouri at some point. However, if Pup and Julie are running the convention I am sure it will be done well. By 2014 it will have been nine years since a TAG convention.

:cavingrocks:
speleo
Frequent Poster

Postby caverdan » Mar 2, 2012 10:14 am

I would go to another Huntsville convention any year they decide to put one on. If not 2014.....then maybe in 2015??? :kewl: :clap: Especially if Julie and Mud are the hosts. You know it's go'in to be a good time had by all!!!! :woohoo:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Amazingracer » Mar 2, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for the clarification Kelly. I wasnt trying to out any one's plans, I just saw that group and was like oh sweet wonder where its going to be.

Living in Utah I dont think I can make it back for WV convention, and who knows for PA convention. But a 2014 TAG convention I would gladly come back for that. As Martha points out people come to TAG anyways, but as Speleo pointed out it would be almost a decade since the last convention. I think a TAG Convention would have a higher turn out but it may adversely affect other caver events potentially like the Cave-In, SERA, etc. Thats not a reason for or against. Just saying.

I look forward to hearing what the BOG decides as I think either site will make for a fine convention.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 2, 2012 10:47 am

As far as I know it isn't a big secret that they are tyring to host a convention so no worries about ousting anyone's plans... and if so then oh well too late now... In fact I think there are rumors out there anyways that are incorrect because I've heard from others they thought Huntsville was putting in the bid for 2014. I'm not sure when the BOG will make the final decision, maybe someone else can chime in and let us know??
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 2, 2012 2:18 pm

From the AVP report associated with the October 2011 BOG meeting.

The minutes state under the officer reports section that Geary Schindel in his report included

Report on 2014 Potential NSS Convention Site at Rolla, Missouri hosted by multiple grottos in the state.

Read the entire report here https://secure.caves.org/nss-business/m ... 110BOG.pdf (you must be an NSS member to access this page)

The complete AVP report as submitted in writing to the board can be found here
https://secure.caves.org/nss-business/r ... P-1110.pdf (you must be an NSS member to access this page) - below is a cut and paste

CONVENTION DIVISION REPORT SUMMARY
Prepared by Carol Tiderman
HIGHLIGHTS:

We have a group offering to host a Convention in Alabama.
We have a group offering to host a convention in Rolla, Missouri.
The 2013 Convention (Shippensburg, PA) group continues to get grants to support Convention activities.

PROGRESS:
Communicating with the confirmed groups. Checking on their progress and passing along new information, filling requests for data, history and other materials and answering any questions.
Working with the group who will be hosting the 2012 Convention in Fairlea WV.
Working with the group proposing to host the 2013 Convention in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania.
We have two groups offering to host future conventions in Alabama and Missouri.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 2, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the additional info Martha... It also notes a group in Nevada, do we know if that is a proposal for 2014?

Also, for those who don't know or who have never logged into the NSS site, your user name is your NSS number and your password is your zip code.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 2, 2012 2:49 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote:Thanks for the additional info Martha... It also notes a group in Nevada, do we know if that is a proposal for 2014?

Also, for those who don't know or who have never logged into the NSS site, your user name is your NSS number and your password is your zip code.

Yeah, I noted the lack of a year also. Except for the report given by Geary at the meeting no dates were mentioned for any of the proposals. (For those who wonder about the Nevada proposal - it is mentioned on the first page of the OVP report posted for the November meeting.)

I looked for the AVP report for the upcoming meeting scheduled for the end of this month. So far only the President's report and the OVP's report have been posted.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby Amazingracer » Mar 3, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for posting that Martha.

I am curious about this line form the report though:

"Working with the group proposing to host the 2013 Convention in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania."

I thought that PA 2013 was already proposed and confirmed? Am I in correct in that assumption or just bad wording in the report?
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 3, 2012 10:00 pm

Amazingracer wrote:Thanks for posting that Martha.

I am curious about this line form the report though:

"Working with the group proposing to host the 2013 Convention in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania."

I thought that PA 2013 was already proposed and confirmed? Am I in correct in that assumption or just bad wording in the report?

I too noticed that statement. I assumed it was "bad wording" in the report. In the events listing on the NSS Website it definitely says the 2013 Convention is in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby MUD » Mar 4, 2012 12:57 pm

The 2013 convention is indeed in PA. I'm just curious as to what all the cavers will say about the majority of the nice caves being gated. It certainly is the land of gated caves! :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 6, 2012 10:51 am

As a convention junkie, I will probably be at all of these events, regardless of time and place. That said, my gripe with the Pennsylania convention is not with cave gates (although I don't like them) but rather with the week that was chosen. It is only two weeks earlier than the ICS in Czech republic. This forces many of us to have to choose between the two events. I was hoping to go to both, but don't know if all that time off in a row will fly too well at work. So, will probably have to choose one or the other.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby MUD » Mar 6, 2012 9:36 pm

Well Andy thats a tough choice. The Czech Republic or PA.? :laughing: Don't let me sway you any but some of those gated caves may not be enterable for convention. Alot of them aren't now! Luckily I have some keys. :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Next

Return to Caver Events