Colorado Caving

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Colorado Caving

Postby Gypsum » Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi all!

I started caving about a year ago and am addicted! I am a member of the local Grotto here in Colorado Springs and am really enjoying getting to know the other members. I have not really done much outside of Williams Canyon, but hope to start getting to do more.

I am a Geology/Biology student hoping to specialize in Speleology. Yep, total nerd. :big grin:

Hope to get to know others in my area who have fun play'n underground!

~Dani
"What an odd sport we inhabit, where bits of obscure rock in remote locations are recognizeable." — Richard Pawlowicz.
Gypsum
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dani
NSS #: 63879
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Colorado Mountain Grotto

Re: Colorado Caving

Postby caverdan » Feb 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Welcome Gypsum from a fellow grotto member. Unfortunately.....a lot of caves are closed right now....but you are living next to some of the best open caving in the state. Did you hear about the Fairy cave work weekends? One is coming up in a few days and a couple of us are going over for it. :waving: :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Gypsum » Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm planning on doing the one at the end of March, it's right at spring break so it works out perfectly for me. I did Huccacove this past Saturday with Todd and two others, have done it several times now but this was only the second time getting to go all the way back...love it!
Is this the weekend the Mad Rats (I think that's right) ;-) are going up?
"What an odd sport we inhabit, where bits of obscure rock in remote locations are recognizeable." — Richard Pawlowicz.
Gypsum
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdan » Feb 22, 2012 8:32 am

I've heard there will be Madrats there....as there are Madrats everywhere in the state. I missed the last meeting but plan to be at the next one. PM me your E-mail address and I'll put you on my contact list to take caving. If Todd took you caving, I'll take you caving too. :) I'll be heading to Narrows in a couple of weeks.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am

Oooh Narrows... Better eat your wheaties and do a couple extra on the stair stepper. Talkin' whole body after-soreness. Be smart, wear pads if you got em'.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby caverdan » Feb 22, 2012 5:05 pm

You Crawlaholics are invited too. We're go'in to rig some ropes and maybe replace that one we were climbing on. :cavingrocks:
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Feb 23, 2012 12:35 pm

You know it. We'll be there if we can. Where are you rigging more rope? Strat pit?
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 23, 2012 3:21 pm

The link here should take you to the report on the rigging we began there a couple weeks ago. Dan has seen some wear on one of the ropes that needs to be addressed and there are maybe a half dozen other fixed ropes and anchors to be upgraded still.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-BLEqvEcmXlNmU0NmQ5NTMtYjdjOC00NDAzLThjMTktZjVkYTQ0ZGFhOGM0
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Gypsum » Feb 25, 2012 11:48 am

Excellent...I have only been in Narrows once, to the Idiots Paradise area. That one spot is as far as my vertical experience goes thus far, lol. And since it was just a prussik not sure if it even counts as vertical. I have done a couple days of SRT up at Castlewood, but definitely not the same.
Gypsum
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions