Spring VAR

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Spring VAR

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 8, 2006 6:20 pm

Who's going to Spring VAR?

I'm going. Sent my pre-reg in today.

If you haven't been, Grand Caverns is a sight to behold. Very good caving is also available close by.

See you there! :waving:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby nordicjw » Apr 9, 2006 7:18 am

I'm going also, sent my reg in a few days ago. Will be there with CCG. Would be nice to meet some to the posters :argue: I think. See you then.
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby hewhocaves » Apr 9, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm thinking of going.. tough i won't know for certian till after Easter.

I'm looking for a big, easy cave (not Island Ford, lol) to test out my new Princeton Tec Apex in there :-)

John
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 9, 2006 8:12 pm

Hey hewho and nordic, I'll be there, so search me out! :waving:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 10, 2006 7:37 am

I am undecided about going. Is it possible to go on an honest to goodness caving trip? Last time I went to a Grand Caverns event, I walked around the commercial tour. Nice, but I don't think I need to do that again.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 10, 2006 7:50 am

There is some new stuff on Cave Hill, the hill that Grand Caverns is in. Always potential to break into some good stuff.

Have you done 3D Maze and/or Glade? Classics for that area.

Here's what the VAR website says about caving during the event:

"Cave Trips

There will be a variety of cave trips offered, both led and self-guided. A kids' trip to Fountain Cave is planned. Trips to less demanding caves such as Church Mountain, Linville Quarry, and Island Ford Caves will also be available. Other more challenging cave trips will be 3-D Maze, Lyles Pit, Glade Cave (one of the muddiest caves in Virginia), and Cave Spring Cave (which has a most spectacular wall of flowstone called "Buttermilk Falls"). A trip into Crozet Tunnel (an old railroad tunnel) is planned. In addition to guided trips into Grand Caverns (not the new section!), you will be able to explore the hillside above Grand Caverns and check out many of the "new discoveries" on Cave Hill."

I want to do some real caving this year. If I hear of anything really good, I'll let you know.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby hewhocaves » Apr 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I am undecided about going. Is it possible to go on an honest to goodness caving trip? Last time I went to a Grand Caverns event, I walked around the commercial tour. Nice, but I don't think I need to do that again.

Oh pleeease... what will VAR be like if we don't keep running into each other? And Jeff from connecticut will be there. it'll be just like last year! Well, minus the rain, hopefully.

john
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 10, 2006 9:39 pm

hewhocaves wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:I am undecided about going. Is it possible to go on an honest to goodness caving trip? Last time I went to a Grand Caverns event, I walked around the commercial tour. Nice, but I don't think I need to do that again.

Oh pleeease... what will VAR be like if we don't keep running into each other? And Jeff from connecticut will be there. it'll be just like last year! Well, minus the rain, hopefully.

john
That was pretty weird. I couldn't turn around without running into you. But then the next event, I never saw you at all. Go figure!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

200th anniversery

Postby Jep » Apr 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Don't forget, we will be celebrating the 200th anniversery of this natural wonder. Lots of shields, so don't be surprised if the cake looks like a shield. Jep.

PS. The Easter restoration work weekend is Saturday. Conservation above gound and below ground will abound. Hope to see some of you there.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 12, 2006 4:38 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:I am undecided about going. Is it possible to go on an honest to goodness caving trip?
Aw, heck. What am I thinking? My hands haven't recovered enough, I'll bet. Probably the only caving I cn do without significant use of my hands is to do a commercial tour. :cry:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Sean Ryan » Apr 12, 2006 10:48 am

Anyone know if there will be any restoration work done to Grand Caverns during the VAR weekend? Or is that stuff just for the Easter weekend?
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Apr 12, 2006 11:46 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:I am undecided about going. Is it possible to go on an honest to goodness caving trip?
Aw, heck. What am I thinking? My hands haven't recovered enough, I'll bet. Probably the only caving I cn do without significant use of my hands is to do a commercial tour. :cry:

What did you do to your hands?
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Restoration at Grand Caverns

Postby merecaver » Apr 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi all,

The annual Grand Caverns Restoration Field Camp, hosted by the VAR Conservation Committee, is THIS WEEKEND, April 15!

Camping is free both Friday and Saturday nights. Work starts at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday--meet at the large pavillion closest to the caves. Lunch is free on Saturday for the workers. Dinner is free for workers too and usually proves to be a feast. Door prizes will be given out after dinner, and then the rest of the fun begins!

Everyone is welcome--it is always a fun weekend and we get a lot accomplished. Noncaver groups show up too, so it's a good mix of people, many regulars who show up year after year.

There is NO work planned during VAR. :)

Thanks,
Meredith Hall Johnson
VAR Conservation Committee Co-chairman
merecaver
Occasional Poster

Postby SofaKingCool » Apr 15, 2006 9:39 am

Scott,

I'll be there. Are any of your Flittermouse companions coming?

Chris Woodley
SofaKingCool
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 15, 2006 2:30 pm

Yep, there will at least 3 of us there. Maybe 6. I don't think you know any of them tho. I think Dan is going to the Mammoth Expedition. Kevin will be home waiting for his baby to arrive, due May 4. See you there!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Caver Events