Hello from Birmingham, AL

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Birmingham, AL

Postby CaveMD » Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am

Hi all,

I'm a 4th year medical student at UAB going into emergency medicine, I have done almost zero dry caving but I'm pretty hooked on cave diving(especially the tight sidemount/nomount stuff and/or deep technical variety). My only dry caving experience has been sumps and springs that connect to dry cave(still a sump I guess but in reverse order?) and one dry cave in north AL I was hoping had a sump in the back of it.

I'm interested in doing a little more dry caving but I really just don't know the people to get into it locally and I don't know how much longer I will be in Bham until residency match day coming up on March 16th.
CaveMD
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hello from Birmingham, AL

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 10, 2012 9:24 am

Welcome to the forum. Check out the Birmingham Grotto here: http://www.bhamgrotto.org
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby mgmills » Feb 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Welcome to the forum. Check out the Birmingham Grotto here: http://www.bhamgrotto.org

Meeting info on the website is incorrect. The grotto does meet the 2nd Tuesday (Feb 14) but the location is incorrect on the website. They meet in a room above Matthew's Bar and Grill (which is on the southside of town on Morris Avenue) . . . very convenient to the UAB medical center.

I started my caving life with the Birmingham Grotto and maintain a membership there even though I now live in TN.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby mgmills » Feb 10, 2012 3:39 pm

CaveMD wrote:Hi all,

I'm a 4th year medical student at UAB going into emergency medicine, I have done almost zero dry caving but I'm pretty hooked on cave diving(especially the tight sidemount/nomount stuff and/or deep technical variety). My only dry caving experience has been sumps and springs that connect to dry cave(still a sump I guess but in reverse order?) and one dry cave in north AL I was hoping had a sump in the back of it.

I'm interested in doing a little more dry caving but I really just don't know the people to get into it locally and I don't know how much longer I will be in Bham until residency match day coming up on March 16th.

BTW, Welcome to the caving world doctor. I'm a nurse and know several doctors who are also cavers. Even if your residency takes you away from the B'ham area there are grottos all over the US.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions