Custom Duo in the works

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Custom Duo in the works

Postby cavemud2 » Feb 9, 2012 10:58 am

I have been reading and talking to some people about the PETZL DUO and the custom duo insert being as bright as the Sten for about half the price. So i found this jewel on craigslist for 35$ an decided i would just get it an try one out for myself. CD will have more full face plates ready sometime in late Feb he said. Cant wait to get one and try this thing out.

Randy Gandy Club 2011 :bat sticker:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62,925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Parkersburg Area Grotto

Re: Custom Duo in the works

Postby Cody JW » Feb 9, 2012 12:32 pm

I would not say as bright as a Sten . The optics are more for spread of beam. Some of the newer Stens I am told are in the 400 lumen range. The Custom Duo makes the Duo more to current LED standards. You can cave with a group of Sten cavers and not feel so under powered like you would with the old 14 insert. I cave with Sten cavers and they seem to have more of a spot when on their high setting but the CD does close the gap for much less money. Sten is a great light and has the advantage of a more powerful battery pack. The CD is not there to compete with a light that costs 3 to 4 times a much but is a nice option for someone who already has a Duo laying around and wants a decent cave light without spending 375 bucks. We have many options now with Spark and Zebra ( sorry Dean ) . In order to beat the CD you will need another source of power other than 4 AAs .
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 9, 2012 1:02 pm

Cody JW wrote:I would not say as bright as a Sten . The optics are more for spread of beam. Some of the newer Stens I am told are in the 400 lumen range.
Cody JW:
The website at Sten says the lumens at their highest turbo setting is maxed out at 140 lumens. Maybe the website is not updated for the newer lights and the data is old. Please someone correct me if you have more up to date info. http://www.stenlight.com/fact-sheet.htm
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby cavemud2 » Feb 9, 2012 1:42 pm

Ok i was making the comparison based on the lumen output from both fact sheets. Didnt know much about the beams on either of them. The sheet in the link has the sten being at 140 and i belive that is lumnes squared? Which would make it 280 lumen? And i knew that the CD was 280. Thats how i was getting my comarison.

Cody JW wrote: In order to beat the CD you will need another source of power other than 4 AAs .

Could you give some more info on that?
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 9, 2012 2:25 pm

cavemud2 wrote:Ok i was making the comparison based on the lumen output from both fact sheets. Didnt know much about the beams on either of them. The sheet in the link has the sten being at 140 and i belive that is lumnes squared? Which would make it 280 lumen? And i knew that the CD was 280. Thats how i was getting my comparison.

Cavemud2....I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to learn these things. Why do you think that 140 is squared? From other manufactures that sell their own LED lights they list lumens that is what it is. Explain to me so I understand better. Just a note...I believe if you are taking the squared from the "2" in the column header at the link, I think that is in reference to #2 description under the table. http://www.stenlight.com/fact-sheet.htm
Let me know....Thanks, Brian
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 9, 2012 2:30 pm

Like I said in my previous post , I draw my comparisons from one light right next to the other in a cave. I am not that familiar with what Sten the S7 is maybe it is the earlier model, I thought the earlier Sten was 160 Lumen. The Sten I refer to is the Sten Premuim or Rebel. I know there are many Sten users on this forum that are more familiar with Sten specs than myself. All my freinds have the Sten premiums and those do appear to be slightly brighter than either my full face CD or my CD 1003. Cavemud 2 also remember that in order to get full Lumen out of the CD you will need to use eneloops or duraloops with a good charger like a La Crosse.For more info on these you can go to the rechargeables thread on this forum.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 9, 2012 3:44 pm

Cody JW wrote:Like I said in my previous post , I draw my comparisons from one light right next to the other in a cave. I am not that familiar with what Sten the S7 is maybe it is the earlier model, I thought the earlier Sten was 160 Lumen. The Sten I refer to is the Sten Premuim or Rebel. I know there are many Sten users on this forum that are more familiar with Sten specs than myself. All my freinds have the Sten premiums and those do appear to be slightly brighter than either my full face CD or my CD 1003. Cavemud 2 also remember that in order to get full Lumen out of the CD you will need to use eneloops or duraloops with a good charger like a La Crosse.For more info on these you can go to the rechargeables thread on this forum.

10-4....Brian
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavemud2 » Feb 9, 2012 3:48 pm

Ok thanks Jeff on all of your input, I appreciate it. Yeh I have been looking at the Sanyo eneloops? I guess they are the 1500 or 1800 ones. I was actually thinking about getting quite a few and using them in the rest of my stuff that takes AA size. Maybe it will save me from giving duracell so much of my money :shrug:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 9, 2012 5:24 pm

cavemud2 wrote:Ok i was making the comparison based on the lumen output from both fact sheets. Didnt know much about the beams on either of them. The sheet in the link has the sten being at 140 and i belive that is lumnes squared? Which would make it 280 lumen? And i knew that the CD was 280. Thats how i was getting my comarison.

Cody JW wrote: In order to beat the CD you will need another source of power other than 4 AAs .

Could you give some more info on that?
What I was getting at was that most of the newer lights like Spark or Zebra and many others are that they use 18650s or CR 123s not AAs. These lights are brighter than Sten or CD and likely could not be and have any duration with AAs. Spark is around 500 lumen and the new Zebra I think is over 700. AAs are nice because it is such a common battery but I suspect the newer bright lights will use 123s or 18650s.There are some guys on this forum much smarter than I when it comes to light specs like Marduke, Potholer , Bif and others. I suspect they can get more into the specifics than I .
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gregmathis1 » Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Ordered a gecko 700 from the rude monkey folks last month and have yet to receive it. Can anyone vouch for John Biffin? Have tried to email him 3 times to address this with no response. I hate to show my ass and complain but I'm not sure what to do. Help!
Greg
gregmathis1
Occasional Poster

Name: Greg Mathis D.V.M.
NSS #: 56602

Postby cavemud2 » Feb 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I know the unit i am waiting on wont be ready till the end of Feb. maybe this is the case with yours? Every time i have emailed him i have got a response with a day. I know they are a small based company and im sure is all hand made. The backlog may just be high.
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm

gregmathis1 wrote:Ordered a gecko 700 from the rude monkey folks last month and have yet to receive it. Can anyone vouch for John Biffin? Have tried to email him 3 times to address this with no response. I hate to show my ass and complain but I'm not sure what to do. Help!
Greg
I have had great luck getting a hold of John, I am also on FB with him. He has been more than fair to me. I will say it does take more time than I thought for his lights to go through customs. Also he has to send them via royal mail and USPS. If you are used to the speed of UPS or Fed X you will have to wait longer for royal mail/USPS, there is a reason it is called "snail mail" . I will send John a FB message and ask him to look at this.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Feb 15, 2012 9:32 am

:grin: Not to worry Greg! John is really good at getting back to people. I do believe he's on an expedition right now hence the delay. His stuff is top shelf and worth the wait, you will be very pleased!

I should have a couple of Rude Noras here real soon! :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Cody JW » Feb 15, 2012 11:23 am

Cave Mud - Let us know how you like the Rude Nora. I do not know anyone who has one and would love a report. John's stuff is great because he understands correct optics for cave lights.I found that out back in the early 80s when I went from a carbide cap lamp to a wheat lamp , the wheat was spotty compared to the glow of a carbide. Correct caving optics will give glow and spot at once, John understands that.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gregmathis1 » Feb 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Explored John's site and found where he posted that he is on an expedition until the 28th of Feb.. Sorta got my panties in a wad when he didn't respond to repeated emails, now I feel like an ass. Just glad I didn't say anything I would regret in the emails. Its is really cool that he makes these things for us. Got a zebra light the other day. That light is too good to be true. I can't believe the light that thing puts out!!! Can wait to put it on top of the Gecko 700.
Greg
gregmathis1
Occasional Poster

Name: Greg Mathis D.V.M.
NSS #: 56602

Next

Return to Equipment Forum