ArcGIS Geodatabase Model for Cave Science

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

ArcGIS Geodatabase Model for Cave Science

Postby Aaron Addison » Apr 11, 2006 8:18 am

Hi all-

I am currently working on my MS in GIScience. My research topic is to develop a usable GIS data model for speleology. Since the field of speleology is wide ranging and I would like to eventually get my degree, I have limited my work to a "base" model.

I have defined base as all of the information one would expect to see on a cave map + survey data. The thinking is that this base could be extended in to several different domains on an as needed basis. For example, there may be a geology model, a biology model, a restoration model, etc....

If anyone would like to share ideas for such a model or would like to test the model once a draft is developed, please feel free to email me directly or to share your thoughts here.

Thanks-
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Apr 11, 2006 8:47 pm

I should think that this has already been done. Have you reviewed the JCKS 64(1) issue all about cave and karst GIS?
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby Aaron Addison » Apr 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Yes, and it's not been done. Nothing really even close has been done as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the feedback!
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

SpeleoGIS

Postby cavedoc » Apr 12, 2006 12:39 am

Have you talked to Bern Szukalski? He is on the NSS BOG and works for ArcView. He has done some work in the area but I don't know if it is what you're looking for.

Roger
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Apr 12, 2006 6:35 am

Hi Roger-

Yes, Bern and I have know each other for over 8 years. We have worked together through several different organizations, but mainly through CRF. Bernie is aware of the research that I am doing.
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby caspex » Apr 12, 2006 4:06 pm

Hello Aaron,

I don't know if I could help you with you with ideas but I will be very interested to see the outcome of your resaerch.

I'm exploring caves in Greece in an area with good potential and a lot of caves (200 caves in 2 Km^2 and increasing...) What I would find useful is a GIS that can help me link caves to other terrain information e.g. geological information.

Kostas
caspex
Infrequent Poster

Postby Aaron Addison » Jun 14, 2006 10:44 am

A draft version of the geodatabase model for cave science has been posted in PDF format:

http://www.caveresource.com/crfdata/Cav ... 0Model.pdf

Feedback is welcome, as it well help make the model more robust. Also of note, the model is based on NSS and MSS map symbols and only addresses limestone caves in this version.

Contact me off list if you have difficulty downloading the PDF and I may be able to email it to you (~2.5mb).
Aaron Addison
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Return to Speleology Forum