What Happened to the Sten?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What Happened to the Sten?

Postby Jon » Jan 15, 2012 12:19 am

Have to go with what Andy said times two. I've seen a few Stens with and without frosted optics. The sweet thing is you can adjust the optics via frosting. I hit on about the perfect set of buttons out of the box. A friend has one with frosted optics and I can't leave mine and a allen wrench within a mile of him. His seems to have a bit more reach out and touch and a bit more mid range spill. Buttons are cheap and easily frosted to all kinds of variations. I'll say it again, I'd rather see where I'm going than where I'd gotten to if I hadn't fallen. Yes there are faster cars than a Vette, but I can have a lot of fun on the difference in price. Same thing can be said about the sleek Sten and the helmet mounted prison search light.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby caverdoc » Jan 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Last month I convinced my CFO(the wife)that I needed one of the new Stens. The rationale was that I would relegate the older model to my "clinic light" and I also purchased a head mount. In my urgent care clinic I frequently do minor surgery like incision/abcess drainage, suturing (faces are a nail-biter without a bright light) and one of my favorite, removal of small objects inserted into head orifices by small kids (my favorite is a Barbie pump shoe in the nostril).

I remember when I first saw a Stenlight. It was on the Potomac Speleological Society's webpage, in the Germany Valley album. In a photo titled "the future of cave lighting" one of these small, refined high-tech lights with a polymer coated battery pack rested in the hands of one of the PSC cavers. I was instantlly mesmerized, thinking "Crikey, I hope that they bring this thing out commercially."

Recently mapping in a Missouri cave with the new Sten it seemed that the light just didn't project that "light sabre" beam like my original one. One of my cohorts had a "first generation" Sten and my beam just ate his up. Oh well. I guess that I can carry the original as a backup, clean it up Sunday night for clinic, and be happy to have two.

As for the Scurion models, even with my reputation as a gear junkie, I have absolutely no plan to buy one :yikes:

Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby wvsposey » Jan 29, 2012 6:06 pm

I was one of the ones who did prototype testing of the Sten back in 2005, we used them on a 18+ hour survey trip in Hellhole. I still have that prototype model as well as another Sten I bought when they finally came on the market and both are going strong. I did pay to have the optics in them upgraded a year or so ago and was glad I did, but am stilling using the same batteries.

I agree with Scott from several posts ago, when you consider the whole package; light, battery life, design, etc., the Sten really is a stellar product.

Susan
wvsposey
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 39914
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto_PSC_GVKS

Postby MUD » Feb 19, 2012 1:53 pm

wvsposey wrote:I agree with Scott from several posts ago, when you consider the whole package; light, battery life, design, etc., the Sten really is a stellar product.

:big grin: Stellar, yes. But not nearly as rude as the Nora! :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby polrbear » Feb 19, 2012 2:19 pm

wvsposey wrote:I did pay to have the optics in them upgraded a year or so ago and was glad I did, but am stilling using the same batteries.
Susan

You're fortunate. I also use mine for nighttime bicycling (as well as caving), which includes winter riding. The batteries don't do well going from -15 C to 20 C twice daily each direction, and the solder connection to the batteries themselves doesn't hold up. Thankfully, another local caver is great at repairing those batteries. Otherwise, my Sten has been a great light.
polrbear
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dustin
NSS #: 56096
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Minnesota Speleological Survey

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 9, 2012 9:17 am

Just an update here -- the current generation of Stenlight S7+ Premium lamps are using the second-generation Rebel ES emitters. It's a shame their website hasn't been updated to reflect this, but the unit has been continuously upgraded since day 1 to stay abreast of current LED tech; the new S7+ headlamps are tremendously brighter than my original S7 Premium prototype (E0645), circa Nov 2007.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Jon » Jul 9, 2012 2:28 pm

Old thread I know but just in case you didn't know there is now a new battery. It is waterproof in a case and sold as a unit. It is between the two sized batteries currently offered. The small battery is what I have and on my Vertex2 Vent the light is a bit heavier so the lid is a bit front heavy but still a light combo. The larger battery offered would probably be too heavy with a hard waterproof case. I'm waiting for my mid sized waterproof battery as I post. It's $60 and should hit a nice balance weight wise. Run time between the older 2. My old small battery can be quickly zip-tied to the lid but bore than likely I'll just run the optional cord down to a pocket....I really don't see myself having to change batteries but gottata have spares.... All in all, size, weight, battery life (and versatility ....9volt or 6 AA's with a one meter extension cord as back ups), light output (and it's placement) and cost....you can't beat a Sten. It has all the light I need. Now want is another story. Yeah I'd like more lumens but I don't NEED them, as such I will not spend $1K to get a stiff neck dragging an aircraft landing light around in a cave, banging into stuff all the time. I don't remember the rules about posting business names, but if you check the online suppliers you can order the new waterproof battery. The one I got mine from didn't have the description on line yet but the live person taking my order knew what I wanted and shipped it right out.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Jul 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:Just an update here -- the current generation of Stenlight S7+ Premium lamps are using the second-generation Rebel ES emitters. It's a shame their website hasn't been updated to reflect this, but the unit has been continuously upgraded since day 1 to stay abreast of current LED tech; the new S7+ headlamps are tremendously brighter than my original S7 Premium prototype (E0645), circa Nov 2007.

Huh, just checked those emitters out and it appears that Philips has actually made their top of the range LEDs almost competitive. For a while there it didn't matter what Luxeon you were using - it was just far behind the competition. These are actually decent, and in terms of practical usage, where a small headlamp is limiting you thermally, would leave little to be desired.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

LukeM wrote:Huh, just checked those emitters out and it appears that Philips has actually made their top of the range LEDs almost competitive. For a while there it didn't matter what Luxeon you were using - it was just far behind the competition. These are actually decent, and in terms of practical usage, where a small headlamp is limiting you thermally, would leave little to be desired.

Still a touch behind the Cree XM-L, I'd imagine? David at Sten pointed out that the primary difference between the first batch of Rebel ES and the newer emitters is that the forward voltage requirements are about 5% lower than before, essentially making the light 5% more efficient for the same output. Since I can cave almost all day on "medium" for 3 or 4 full days with my wife's 2009-era S7 Premium, which I believe predates the first-gen ES, I'm assuming this newest version will mean even less frequent use of the higher settings and even longer battery life.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby submassabielle » Jul 10, 2012 11:04 pm

How do you know if you have these updated LED's?
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Postby LukeM » Jul 11, 2012 8:21 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:Still a touch behind the Cree XM-L, I'd imagine?

Well, the XM-L is designed to allow 3 times the maximum current of a Rebel so it would be thermally limited by the size of and design of the light. It's also larger and requires bigger optics. At the currents that the Rebel ES is designed for the XM-L isn't that far ahead.

Most of Cree's advantage at this point is that even their smaller emitters (like XP-G) can be operated at higher currents so they have a higher top end, but not insanely better efficiency.

Good to hear the Sten is keeping things up to date.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Jon » Jul 12, 2012 1:53 am

Ok the waterproof battery arrived today. While the physical size is a bit larger than the old small battery the capacity is the same. Cable is larger dia and the unit is a bit longer and thicker/wider at the top but about the same at the bottom. Looks like it was almost designed for the Vertex lid as it has a single screw mount and the notch or step in the case fits/works well with the step in the helmet. You can probably use the super velcro to stabilize it and the single screw slide mount to help the velcro from allowing a peal off. Was kind of hoping for more capacity but it does seem to balance the lid perfectly....so since I doubt I'll ever need more than it and the old battery, the balance is better than a bit more capacity in my book. By the way due to case design I'd recommend a vertical rather than horizontal mount at least on the Vertex.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wvsposey » Jul 12, 2012 7:34 am

Jon,

Could you possibly post a couple pictures of the waterproof battery? One of it next to the standard battery would be useful.

Thanks,
Susan
wvsposey
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 39914
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto_PSC_GVKS

Postby jeffkruse » Jul 12, 2012 7:59 am

You can get 18650's protected and non protected now with 3400mAH of capacity. If I buy a high end light I would be willing to spend a few extra dollars for more capacity in the same size or the same capacity in a smaller size. 3400mAH is a long ways from 2600mAH.
jeffkruse
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 62760
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia

Postby Jon » Jul 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Ok I think this will work. Didn't have time to pull the battery to show the mount (single screw) but you can kind of see the "step" in the side view Hope this helps
By the way I used the single screw and a zip tie to mount it, I'll be re zip tying it as soon as I can borrow a heat gun to soften the zip tie so I can make the twists better....I'll try and remember the camera when I pull it off and get a shot of the mount

Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum