Condensation on the Lens

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Condensation on the Lens

Postby Robert Sewell » Sep 8, 2005 11:52 am

How do you avoid condensation and/or moisture on the lens? I carry a lint-free cloth with my camera, but in some caves (like Cascade Domes in IGP) there is so much moisture floating around the room that it collects back on the lens the second I wipe it off.

Is there some coating I can apply? Some other remedy?
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

Postby lather » Sep 8, 2005 12:40 pm

I do not know of anything beyond the standard anti-moisture/cold weather techniques.

Maybe you can put a simple UV filter on the lens while composing your photo, then take the filter off, snap the photo, then replace the filter after wiping the lens.

If moisture is gathering that quickly, though, there probably is nothing you can do.
lather
Infrequent Poster

Postby Darklight » Sep 8, 2005 12:44 pm

I think a difference in temperature is the culprit. You can try to make sure your camera reaches ambient temperture before you expose it to the cave environment. Unfortunately, the cases we generally keep our precious equipment in is a good insulator as well.

I sometimes have luck by just waving the camera back and forth in the cave, but this takes time. Just let nature take its course, and sometimes it will start to clear. Never blow on it! :lol:

Lens cleaning cloths and tissues are a quick fix, but may lead to smear and scratching. Removable filters can help too, by physically removing the glass that has condensation on it. You may then find the actual optical glass fogging up...

I have great luck with a carbide flame or lighter, but one obviously has to be very careful not to get the flame anywhere near the glass. Carbon from a carbide lamp could be an issue, so a lighter would be best.

Just my thoughts...

CG
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

cheap camera

Postby Robert Sewell » Sep 8, 2005 1:46 pm

This is a cheap digital camera that doesn't take an external lens. Otherwise those are some good suggestions to try out.

As for letting the camera acclimate to the cave, I keep mine in a simple camera pouch that rides inside my pack (I know, I know... I'm asking for it to get broken). I would have thought it would have acclimated after a few hours in the cave, especially as I'm taking it out and snapping pictures every 15 minutes. Maybe not, though.

I might try the lighter trick. It makes sense to keep the air around the lens dry.

Thanks for the replies.
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Sep 8, 2005 3:44 pm

To avoid condensation, it will work best to have the camera warmer than the air. Keep the camera in an inside pocket and see if that doesn't help.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Robert Sewell » Sep 9, 2005 8:31 am

Dwight wrote:To avoid condensation, it will work best to have the camera warmer than the air. Keep the camera in an inside pocket and see if that doesn't help.

Huh. That never works with my mug full o' Guinness... :caver:
Robert Sewell
Occasional Poster

Postby bigalpha » Sep 12, 2005 8:56 am

hijack.

Anti-condensation stuff for camera lenses. Will that work with glasses? (such as the ones that i wear because i cant see the broad side of a barn without them?). Anti-fogging perhaps?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pgillis » Sep 26, 2005 10:33 am

To eliminate fog, the glass must be warmer than the air (or more precisely, warmer than the dewpoint temperature.)

I have found that pressing my tongue against the glass for 10 seconds or so will do the trick. Then of course you need to wipe off the saliva with a very clean cloth or tissue (often a precious commodity!) Then the glass will generally stay clear for a few minutes.

Of course it is best to do this to a filter in front of the lens--wiping the lens itself in-cave risks scratching it.. But if there is dust or grit on the glass, and it cannot be blown off, I think licking it off is probably safer than trying to wipe it off. But I don't think it is very nutritious!
Paul Gillis
Falls Church, Va.
Creaky old flashbulb & film burner
PSC, NSS, GVKS
pgillis
New Poster

Lens Defogging

Postby Realms » Sep 26, 2005 4:49 pm

I saw a cool little device the Willie Hunt made to get condensation off his lenses. Basically you build a drying device that uses a tiny blower to push air over a light bulb (automotive light) the heated air is just right to clear the condensation off your lenses but not hot enough to cause problems. It was a cool little device.
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum