Question about CR 123 batteries

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Question about CR 123 batteries

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 8, 2011 10:36 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:
jeffkruse wrote:You will get far better runtime with good rechargable 18650's.

Those don't seem to be the same shape as will fit in, say, my Princeton Tec Apex Pro:

http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=apex-pro

Sure they will fit. Here is how. Take 1 rechargeable 18650 and charge it. Take a saw, cut it in half, shove one end in your head lamp and throw the other end away............. err wait a second.........
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Nov 16, 2011 12:43 am

CR123As are all I use. I buy them from Surefire for $1.88/battery. I haven't bought lithium AAs recently, but I just did a quick check at Walmart.com and the best price I could find on Energizer Ultimate Lithiums was 2.56/battery. So it doesn't look like the "too expensive" argument holds up, unless you're buying 2 at a time from gas stations. And lately manufacturers like Spark have been building lights that use either two CR123As or one 18650, which to me is the ultimate in flexibility.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Marduke » Nov 16, 2011 12:46 am

Lava wrote:CR123As are all I use. I buy them from Surefire for $1.88/battery. I haven't bought lithium AAs recently, but I just did a quick check at Walmart.com and the best price I could find on Energizer Ultimate Lithiums was 2.56/battery. So it doesn't look like the "too expensive" argument holds up, unless you're buying 2 at a time from gas stations. And lately manufacturers like Spark have been building lights that use either two CR123As or one 18650, which to me is the ultimate in flexibility.

About 1000x more expensive than rechargeables is definitely "too expensive" in my book.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 16, 2011 7:20 am

Marduke wrote:
Lava wrote:CR123As are all I use. I buy them from Surefire for $1.88/battery. I haven't bought lithium AAs recently, but I just did a quick check at Walmart.com and the best price I could find on Energizer Ultimate Lithiums was 2.56/battery. So it doesn't look like the "too expensive" argument holds up, unless you're buying 2 at a time from gas stations. And lately manufacturers like Spark have been building lights that use either two CR123As or one 18650, which to me is the ultimate in flexibility.

About 1000x more expensive than rechargeables is definitely "too expensive" in my book.

Thats what I keep telling all the guys I cave with who insist on buy those 30 packs of rayovac batteries for $5, then they have to change batteries 4 times on a trip becuase they buy junk that keeps filling landfills. :doh:
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 16, 2011 8:13 am

Can only certain lights (like spark) run off either the 18650 or 2- 123s ?? I was wondering if I could put a 18650 in my Fennix handheld instead of two 123s ?? I am considering a 600 Lumen handheld that also uses 2-123s. If I can find a rechargeable replacement I would like the CR 123 lights much better.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby jeffkruse » Nov 16, 2011 8:25 am

Tell us the models of the lights so we can check. Usually a light that can take two 123's can use one 18650 but some lights that take only one 18650 may not take two 123's. Flexibility comes at the cost of efficiency.
jeffkruse
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 62760
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia

Postby Marduke » Nov 16, 2011 8:48 am

And you may consider 17670's or 16340's, but we need the light model to tell you more.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 16, 2011 1:52 pm

I currently own a Fennix P3D special edition. I think it goes to 215 or 220 Lumen. I am looking at The Guide gear 600 Lumen tactical light just for spot use only in big stuff. I saw it in a mail order cat. called The Sportsman's Guide , they have this light for 60.00. Even if it is not durable enough for caving I can still use it at home to find my dogs out in our large yard at night ( also to wake the dead). It too calls for 2 Cr 123s
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Cody JW wrote:I currently own a Fennix P3D special edition. I think it goes to 215 or 220 Lumen. I am looking at The Guide gear 600 Lumen tactical light just for spot use only in big stuff. I saw it in a mail order cat. called The Sportsman's Guide , they have this light for 60.00. Even if it is not durable enough for caving I can still use it at home to find my dogs out in our large yard at night ( also to wake the dead). It too calls for 2 Cr 123s

That's a ripoff. It is also an outright lie of specifications on their part. Don't fall for it.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Nov 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Jeff,
Check out these high intensity lights from Brightguy.com. I did a search for lights over 300 lumens. Some of these are as high as 3,200 lumens with many to choose from over 300 lumens. I'm betting you can find a better deal on high intensity lights from this vendor.

http://www.brightguy.com/results.php?Se ... htOutput=5
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

tncaver wrote:Jeff,
Check out these high intensity lights from Brightguy.com. I did a search for lights over 300 lumens. Some of these are as high as 3,200 lumens with many to choose from over 300 lumens. I'm betting you can find a better deal on high intensity lights from this vendor.

I have bought from Bright guy. I saw that list and I did not see any lights in the 600 Lumen range for anywhere near 60.00. I saw that light from Sportsmans Guide and thought I have not seen a light with that kind of Lumen output for anywhere near that price. I have the kind of charge card with buyer protection, if the light is not what they say, they do not get paid. Right now I am more worried about finding a rechargeable that I can use and not have to feed it 123s .
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Nov 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Cody JW wrote:
tncaver wrote:Jeff,

I have bought from Bright guy. I saw that list and I did not see any lights in the 600 Lumen range for anywhere near 60.00. I saw that light from Sportsmans Guide and thought I have not seen a light with that kind of Lumen output for anywhere near that price. I have the kind of charge card with buyer protection, if the light is not what they say, they do not get paid. Right now I am more worried about finding a rechargeable that I can use and not have to feed it 123s .

I am telling you right now that sportsmans guide light is a ripoff. It clearly shows a picture of an XR-E emitter, which you would be EXTREMELY hard pressed to even achieve HALF of the claimed output even if it was overdriven.

Now take this light of the same quality, half the price, and about double the actual output (estimated 600 real lumens)
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire- ... 8650-57007

When purchasing flashlight and batteries, always remember that the manufacturer can print whatever they want on the spec sheet, that doesn't make it true. Ink is cheap, and overseas manufacturers can do this without punishment. Do your research first.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Marduke, I hope it is what you say. If so it is free. I have challenged things like that on my card before and did not pay a dime. You see I have done my research, I look for stuff like this because free is a deal you can not beat. A win win for me.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for showing me that other light as well. I will take that for free also.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Nov 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Marduke,
For someone looking for a super bright light that is super cheap and they are not concerned with a long run time, that light you linked to is
pretty awesome. 1200 lumens for just over $27 on just one 18650 Rechargeable Battery. :kewl:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum