Can someone recommend a fragile, expensive rope?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Can someone recommend a fragile, expensive rope?

Postby Jon » Nov 8, 2011 11:16 pm

Having used gold line in the commercial boating industry I'm surprised the users of such weren't injured on the ceiling rather than the floor. A hard fall on that stuff and If it didn't break or you hit bottom I'd figure you'd be splattered on the the ceiling after a rocket-ship ride up. But then we were using 3/4 inch or greater line. I've seen 3/4 inch stretch out to what looked like 3/8s or less ...... scary. The notes that line was singing only a dog could hear. I was kinda hoping that Jeff would catch the dig at his lids rig about the ceiling burner and Sten. I have the same set up but my buds all cave elsewhere when the ceiling burner shows up at a cave. No accounting for some peoples taste.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 9, 2011 1:21 am

Atwood is the bomb Jeff. You should try it.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batshitcrazy » Nov 9, 2011 11:28 pm

You could twist White House tiolet paper into a rope.... That stuffs like $5000 per roll!
batshitcrazy
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jeremy Langley
NSS #: 63649

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Larry E. Matthews wrote:Is it your lack of experience?

Well, it's hard to say that anyone who started caving after the advent of Bluewater 2 -- and subsequent death of Goldline -- suffers from lack of experience. Lack of age, maybe? :big grin:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Vertigo » Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/55405836-1.html This is what you need. Buccaneer Rope manufactured in the heart of cave country in Skyline, AL. Perfect for all your trips. Works well in Topless Dome and Buckner's Rodeo Cave. So slap on your boots and dig in your pantin, Buccaneer is rough and ready to get the job done!

Seriously, I've always wondered what kinds of rope they make in there, and if they could make a good caving rope for us. Not that we need any more kinds of rope to choose from, but it would still be cool.
Vertigo
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!