Cave of Swallows

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Cave of Swallows

Postby dutchcontractor » Nov 11, 2011 7:50 pm

So I just got back from my first Fantastic Pit bounce and I am thinking... What next? So the Cave of Swallows came to mind.

Then ofcourse I thought about dragging all my gear and rope out to Mexico would be a pain in the butt and started looking into some of the guided tours where they provide the necessary gear (eventhough I still would like to use my own rappel and ascending gear).

Has anyone here ever used one of these outfitters? If so, can you provide some info on them and did you feel comfortable with them?

And yes I realize that this is a big rappel, proper training is required... This trip may happen 1-2 years from now which will give me time to get it together :clap:
dutchcontractor
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 62972
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SMG

Re: Cave of Swallows

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Ive done fantastic a few time. Bounced the bridge at bridge day a month ago.

Never done Golandinas. But I'm confident that it's 100x easier than the new river gorge.

It is my belief that if you can do fantastic you can do a whole hell of a lot bigger. Training? Just be in shape and take your a game.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby dutchcontractor » Nov 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Ive done fantastic a few time. Bounced the bridge at bridge day a month ago.

Never done Golandinas. But I'm confident that it's 100x easier than the new river gorge.

It is my belief that if you can do fantastic you can do a whole hell of a lot bigger. Training? Just be in shape and take your a game.

Bridge day is another one I am working on :kewl: :kewl: :kewl:
dutchcontractor
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 62972
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SMG

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Pits dont bother me, but fantastic gives me the willys for obvious reason. wide open spaces freak me out, but I did the bridge day drop and climbed back up. If you can handle that kind of exposure you can do golandrinas, and its enclosed.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 11, 2011 10:15 pm

just my opinion of course based on my experience rappelling that wide open drop in the wind, and climbing it. To my knowledge, golandrinas is a pit like all other pits........its not windy ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speleo » Nov 11, 2011 10:33 pm

You can do Golondrinas if you can do Fantastic as long as you are in good physical condition. I would definately want to use gear that I was accustomed to using. It is a long climb for a system that is not adjusted to your height and weight. It is incredibly huge, over 200 feet across at the top if I remember correctly. I am thinking back to 1975 however. While it was not windy in there, if you are doing the pit very early or very late in the day you will have swallows and parrots flying by you. Thousands of them. Do it while you are young as possible. It is an experience you will never forget.
:cavingrocks:
speleo
Frequent Poster

Postby TinY » Dec 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Golindrinas is a bit more than Fantastic will ever be. With 7 acres of floor space it is almost as wide open of a rappell as bridge day. The walls are so far away from the rope you cannot use them to judge your rappell speed. The rope weight your rack feels is approx 90 lbs, like rapelling with a belay on. I would suggest going to Mexico with someone who has prior experience in the pits down there and doing extensive training with weighted rope rappells of approx 90 lbs rope weight simulated with weights. Also practice climbing 1000 feet of rope from a pully in a tree for a few months. There is only one way in and one way out, not the place to go if you only think you can do it.
I usually go down for a week or two every Christmas/New Years. Would be willing to chat with you PM on including you on next years trip if you are willing to do the training,
TinY
If your FEET are beyond your last STATION..... YOU ARE SCOOPING! :-( See ya on station and Looooooog Rope Soon!
TinY
Infrequent Poster

Name: Mike Manke
NSS #: 46894RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Dec 25, 2011 7:16 pm

I worked my way up to it. After I did The Bridge I knew I was ready for Golandrinas. I did Fantastic before I tried The Bridge. For some reason Golandrinas felt more "friendly" In terms of Awesome factor I felt more of that at Surprise ( awesome factor). I am sure many will disagree with me on that but is just my opinion. Looking up at the surface from the bottom of Golandrinas the pit did not look as deep as it is. Maybe because of the depth perception and the size of the opening. All are neat drops in their own way and are "destination " drops.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to On Rope!