An much easier way to add images to your posts!

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

An much easier way to add images to your posts!

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 5, 2006 8:28 pm

Since some people were having so much trouble with the coding to get images online, I've added a NEW way to upload images that is much, much simpler.

How it works:

1. When starting new thread or posting reply you will see text that says "Add image to post" linked below the text area on the left (just above the Spell Check button).

2. Click that link, and a popup will appear where you should select image and add description to that image (description is optional):

3. You click "upload it" link, image is uploaded and bbcode is automatically inserted in post.

4. You click "submit" to submit post and thumbnail of image appears in post. There's nothing else to do!
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby graveleye » Apr 6, 2006 12:46 pm

Wayne would you prefer this to hot-linking?
I know that its annoying when images are really large, but I think there is a way on these phpBB forums to cause the image to "truncate" to a smaller size if it excedes the frame when an image is hotlinked.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 6, 2006 12:52 pm

It's not so much the size throwing the margins off on the forum but many people are still accessing the forum on dial-up and large images are a pain for them -- particularly ones that are uploaded directly from a digital camera and that are not reduced in size or weight.

Having the smaller image hotlinked to a larger image gives you an idea of what the image is and the option to pick the larger image if you want to see it.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby graveleye » Apr 6, 2006 1:00 pm

AHHH... I'm blind. I read every word except "thumbnail" :doh:

Thumbnails rock! Definatly the way to go!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby NZcaver » Oct 20, 2009 9:15 pm

JR-Orion wrote:OK, I'm trying to do a you-are-there type report on this place, with lots of pictures and descriptions. I initially set photobucket to 800x600, but this forum didn't like that. Resized things to 640x480, and that didn't work either (still too big, I guess). The next size down that photobucket has is 320x240, and that's not really worth posting.

So, what next?

If I set photobucket up with image clickable thumbnails that you can click to enlarge, would that work?

That should work. I think I've done that before using Photobucket thumbnails. We have the forum parameters deliberately set so you can't display big images in posts. It can get messy loading the page, especially for those with slower connections.

Another option would be to post the text and link to a photo page. Or provide an excerpt from the text and link to a dedicated blog with embedded photos. You're welcome to post the whole thing here with thumbnails, but an offsite blog can give you a nicer layout.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby JR-Orion » Oct 21, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for the advice.

Does it matter if I do click to enlarge, and then it goes to a 800x600 pic? Like you said, I don't want to blow up the page.

For now photobucket is all I know. Is there a blogging tool that's popular around here? I've never blogged a single word.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 21, 2009 1:31 pm

JR-Orion wrote:Does it matter if I do click to enlarge, and then it goes to a 800x600 pic? Like you said, I don't want to blow up the page.

For now photobucket is all I know. Is there a blogging tool that's popular around here? I've never blogged a single word.

If you click to enlarge, it should go to the Photobucket page (or open the image in a new page). That's also what the "add image to post" option does (the link directly under the box you're typing in when you post).

A popular option for blogging is http://www.blogger.com It's a free thing from Google, and you can pick your URL address (you could try something like JR-Orion.blogspot.com assuming it's available). Check it out.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Please Read