has anyone tried out the battery operated accender

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

has anyone tried out the battery operated accender

Postby slapout » Mar 17, 2011 4:13 pm

i love caveing but due to trements of chemo i have been to weak to do a vertical cave. I can get down and around but fearful i might give out on the climb up so this might be another way for me to enjoy my life. Has anyone used one? Or any other tips i could use and no Redbull dosent give me wings. Already tried lol
slapout
Frequent Poster

Name: stephen driver

Re: has anyone tried out the battery operated accender

Postby TheNatureGirl » Jul 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Bump after 3years....

Is this what the OP was talking about?
http://www.tacticalascenders.com/
TheNatureGirl
Infrequent Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jul 11, 2011 9:36 am

Cool! Definitely a little more bulky than what we're used to, but it's hard to scoff at an ascending rate of 328 feet/minute. It's "watertight" too, and can also descend rope. LOL... bet it costs a fortune, and isn't very light in comparison to your standard frog.

From their FAQs:
I am not in the Military or Law Enforcement can I buy a T1-16?

No.

Due to the tactical advantage the ascender has to offer, sales is limited to Military & Law Enforcement Agencies (and other official tactical government bodies as home office, intelligence units, etc.).

"Tactical advantage??" Advantage against whom? "Watchout! If the general public gets their hands on this, they'll be able to climb ropes as fast as we can with the same equipment! And if we don't own a unit, then the perpetrator will get away for certain!" I think I smell BS.

Passing a knot or rebelay would be an interesting challenge. :big grin:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

Nevin Davis (Nittany Grotto) built the 1st Motorized Ascending Device (MAD) in 1971.
http://storrick.cnc.net/VerticalDevicesPage/Ascender/Motorized.html
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 1, 2011 3:10 pm

As long as no one minds, I feel the need to step in here and say it: if you're admittedly too weak to climb out of cave before attempting a caving trip, it's probably not the best idea to attempt one. Obviously these are sad circumstances, but my best advice to you is to wait it out rather than get in over your head.

Definitely sorry to hear about your illness, and here's to hoping you're back in shape soon.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Cody JW » Nov 3, 2011 4:23 pm

I know with most TAG pits that the 200-500 feet hike up the hill with personal gear and maybe rope is just as physical if not more so than the climb up the rope. JV used to say "if you can hike up the hill , you can climb the rope " at Surprise Pit in Ferns. I think he had a point.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to On Rope!