Rechargeables in the Real World

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rechargeables in the Real World

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 30, 2011 11:34 am

Yeah I learned everything I know about batteries and lights from Marduke (although I knew about your lights before he told me :P ) it just seemed like you knew of something there =) The charger I have is one he recommended because I didn't want to spend the $$ for the LaCross one.

Wait...so those photos...weren't photoshopped sparkly in your photos...they are actually PURPLE ENE LOOPS????? Holymoley I need to find those. To go with that awesome purple duo :D Plus then I will always know which are *MY* eneloops.

Actually..question...think it'd be ok to sharpie purple onto the eneloops?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Oct 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Costco has a blue/purple combo pack. Next time you're down this way I'll take you in to get some, and even trade you so you get all purple.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 30, 2011 1:20 pm

SQUEEEEEEEE :D awesome

But for the others I have, can I just sharpie them purple or would that be a Bad Idea?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Oct 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Won't hurt them, but expect it to smear off onto things. I wouldn't recommend it.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Perhaps if you bruise and abuse them, they will turn purple on their own... :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cody JW » Oct 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Bif, I have to say how efficient the full face insert is even with alkaline. I used it in the middle (140 lumen , I think) setting for 6 hours and sometimes switching up to the high along the way. After that time with alkaline I can still put it on the high and it will not yet regulate down, I am impressed with the efficiency of the insert. If I did that with an Apex there is no way 1 set of alkalines would last that long, or at least the 130 lumen Apex I had would not. Not sure about the newer 200 lumen model.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Buford » Dec 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks for this thread, esp to Marduke. Now I know why my Energizer 2500s don't work right. Into the recycle bin they went pronto! Now to find Duraloops. Lowe's doesn't seem to carry them.
Buford
Frequent Poster

Name: Buford Pruitt
NSS #: 17920
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society + Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 24, 2011 6:22 pm

I saw some yesterday at Walmart. Remember. Made in Japan. White ring around the positive terminal. Not china with a dark grey ring. One Walmart I was at had Japan and another had china. So yours may have one or the other.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Dec 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I saw some yesterday at Walmart. Remember. Made in Japan. White ring around the positive terminal. Not china with a dark grey ring. One Walmart I was at had Japan and another had china. So yours may have one or the other.

Buford,
Chad is correct. The Walmart in my town carries both kinds of NiMH rechargeables branded by Duracell. I also have some 2500ma NiMH Energizer rechargeables that are inferior. My 2500ma Energizers are made in Japan but are not the Eneloop clones. They are good batteries so long as they are charged the day before your cave trip. But they do not hold their charge more than a week or so. Duracell sells NiMH rechargeables that are made in both Japan and China. The Japanese ones are the Eneloop clones and they do have a white ring around the top. The Chinese Duracells have a dark ring around the top. You should only buy the PRECHARGED Duracells with the white ring around the top at Walmat. Those are the ones that can hold a charge for up to a year and are excellent batteries. They cost a little more but are well worth it. However, they are only about 2000ma. I'm testing the Chinese made precharged Duracells now. Maybe they have caught up to the Japanese batteries and maybe not. I suggest if you buy from Walmart, that you buy only the Precharged Duracell NiMH with the white ring at the top and that are made only in Japan.
Good caving to you.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JR-Orion » Jan 4, 2012 2:19 pm

That 8-color eneloop pack is awesome.
:grin:

Mine are just the boring white ones, but I use Eneloops in just about everything these days.

edit-
looks like some new 2500mAh Eneloops are hitting the shelves. Called Sanyo XX (instert triple X joke here), with a lifetime of 500 recharges. Compared to 1500 recharges on the 2000mAh Eneloops.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Buford » Jan 4, 2012 4:00 pm

I just ordered a La Crosse Technology BC-9009 Battery Charger Analyzer 'kit' from an ebay store seller. Hopefully, the 8 kit's batteries come with it, altho the ad doesn't say so.

The closest WalMart does not carry rechargeable batteries. I'll try the super center a little further down the road. Otherwise, there are many to choose from online, but it is impossible to tell from the ads what color the rings are around the positive terminal.
Buford
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 4, 2012 4:17 pm

color actually means nothing, as long as you know if they are made in Japan or china. Ive never seen precharged duracell rechargeables made in japan that didnt have a white ring. If they are advertised as made in china then booo.

also ive never seen a walmart that didnt carry rechargeables. they will be back by the cameras, camera batteries, etc. ive been to some podunk walmarts in themiddle of bfe too.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JR-Orion » Jan 9, 2012 4:02 pm

Buford wrote:I just ordered a La Crosse Technology BC-9009 Battery Charger Analyzer 'kit' from an ebay store seller. Hopefully, the 8 kit's batteries come with it, altho the ad doesn't say so.

The closest WalMart does not carry rechargeable batteries. I'll try the super center a little further down the road. Otherwise, there are many to choose from online, but it is impossible to tell from the ads what color the rings are around the positive terminal.

I think I have that same La Crosse kit. Though I got mine a few years back on Amazon. Mine came with 8 batteries- 4 AAs and 4 AAAs. They are blue and yellow, with the AAs rated at 2600mah. I've been impressed with the blue and yellow rechargeables and have thought a time or two about trying to order some more.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Buford » Jan 14, 2012 7:48 pm

You guys are going to love this. The Lacrosse recharger came in, and did indeed include 4@ AA and 4@AAA batteries, but the batteries are Lacrosse Tech brand made in China WITH WHITE RINGS AROUND THE CATHODES!!! :rofl: Oh, those clever Chinese. They must have been reading this thread. The batteries are blue-and-yellow, the AAA batteries are labeled 2600 mAh and the AAA are 1000 mAh, and they were not pre-charged. Possibly they are the same as JR-Orion's. I'm going to try them out - what the hey - and I'll post the results here fyi.

I did finally find them at Wal-Mart, right where Chad said they'd be. WM has Duracells made in Japan, altho I can't see the color of the cathode wraps thru the packaging. I'm sure I'll be buying some of them too, as I need more than 8 batteries, but may wait until my stash of Duracell alkalines is used up (waste not, want not).

Incidentally, while at Gander Mountain looking for the Lacrosse re-charger, I spotted 9-LED flashlights for a mere $2 apiece! Actually, they came in a 2-pack for $4. I threw away the packaging before thinking to look for manufacturing details, and the flashlights have none on them. I am using them as backup caving lights and as illuminators for reading my Suunto clinometer. A friend bought a 2-pack also, but his turned out to be defective and crapped out after a single use each. Mine have worked properly for several caving trips so far. You get what you pay for, and we have been warned, so I don't depend on them, but so far they are working for me.
Buford
Frequent Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Seems like the bottom line is that the precharged ones are generally the best as far as holding a charge.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum