Can you reccommend a durable and inexpensive rope?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Can you reccommend a durable and inexpensive rope?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 28, 2011 3:51 pm

I must buy another rope, and being rather niggardly, would like it to last as long as possible. Searching other posts on similar topics lead to discussions on physics, and handling, and all other possible minutae of cordage. In an effort to avoid duplicating that consequence let me state that my priorities are durability first, price second (and last). All other properties can be adapted to and don't concern me. Thanks very much.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Can you reccommend a durable and inexpensive rope?

Postby NZcaver » Oct 28, 2011 3:58 pm

PMI pit rope?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 28, 2011 5:18 pm

:yeah that:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby rlboyce » Oct 28, 2011 5:25 pm

I've got PMI pit rope. It does okay, but I've always noticed that mine burrs more easily than what I expected. Maybe it's just my imagination, but my buddy's New England rope seems to hold up better to rub points than what mine does. Of course, you know to get static, right?
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 28, 2011 10:26 pm

rlboyce wrote:Of course, you know to get static, right?

I do.
Am I likely to find a quality rope for less than the .69 per ft. currently asked for PMI at several sources?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Oct 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Definitely PMI maxwear pit rope.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 29, 2011 1:40 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:
rlboyce wrote:Of course, you know to get static, right?

I do.
Am I likely to find a quality rope for less than the .69 per ft. currently asked for PMI at several sources?

Not really. Youll find rope but you may have to cut it after a few trips due to where. There is a reason why everyone has so far recommended PMI Pit. You could check on PMI Max Wear Sport rope (the one with the red tracer running through it), it may be cheaper. It has a max wear sheath so its tough but not Pit Rope tough.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 29, 2011 2:13 am

Amazingracer wrote:You could check on PMI Max Wear Sport rope (the one with the red tracer running through it), it may be cheaper. It has a max wear sheath so its tough but not Pit Rope tough.

Technically, Max Wear is just as tough as Pit Rope. They are exactly the same construction, with the exception of the red tracer in Max Wear. This has been discussed here, and is consistent with my recollection of a conversation with Steve at PMI.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby caveflower » Oct 29, 2011 8:09 am

Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby NZcaver » Oct 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Karst Sports also has Pit Rope for $0.69 a foot, but they also have some pre-cut lengths (rope ends) which work out a little cheaper per foot. Might be worth checking out. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I just bought some Pit Rope from Karst Sports. I had my eye on a 125' end for $73 but it was already sold. I also bought a short end of Petzl Vector 7/16" to use on some small pits. It has a polyester sheath which I'm interested in comparing. Does anyone have any experience with this rope? It is pretty cheap and, according to the description, amazing in every possible way.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shibumi » Oct 31, 2011 8:44 am

I realize that many of us are not made of cash, but honestly, life safety equipment is not an area I skimp on. As far as durability goes, most people who know me know I am extremely hard on equipment and I still get several years of use out of rope. Properly taken care of there is no reason a rope cannot last the 10-15 years service life that is recommended. And that is with monthly (or more frequent) use.

I see you got the Pit Rope. It's pretty much the only rope I buy anymore and IMNSHO is among the best ropes out there for durability.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Oct 31, 2011 11:22 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:I also bought a short end of Petzl Vector 7/16" to use on some small pits. It has a polyester sheath which I'm interested in comparing. Does anyone have any experience with this rope? It is pretty cheap and, according to the description, amazing in every possible way.

We had a 200' length of Vector rope in the SU Outing Club back when I was going to school there. I found it to be overly bouncy on longer drops, and not nearly as durable as its diameter would lead you to expect. The contrast between sheath and core makes spotting damage very easy though. The handling for the diameter was very good, and I enjoyed tying knots in it. YMMV.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby snoboy » Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am

I have 1500' of 11mm Vector in service for our SAR team, ranging from 2 years old to 2 months old. I really like it for rescue use. We have teamed it up with the 8mm Petzl prusik cord.

It seems to hold up well, although my personal MaxWear Pit rope seems tougher for sure.

It is a good balance of stiff and knottable. I agree w/ LukeM, it feels a bit bouncy. The "Fusion" that they use to bond core and sheath seems to do an excellent job of preventing sheath slippage.

A colleague tells me that extensive industrial use in a hydroelectric facility (penstock inspection) where it was constantly exposed to silt and water caused it to get very cabley quickly... perhaps not a great attribute for caving! That said, I am not sure that he has ever seen what cavers would consider a "good rope," ie stiff and mud covered, to compare it to.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 1, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm impressed with how long this thread has dragged on, seeing as how it was answered correctly by the first reply.

Petzl Vector is neither more durable than PMI Pit Rope nor less expensive than PMI Pit Rope.
Why must we clutter every thread with 37 discordant opinions when some simple questions DO truly have simple answers?
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Next

Return to On Rope!