NCRC Weeklong 2012

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

NCRC Weeklong 2012

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Kinda early, but curious to see who is planning on going.

I hope to be there for Level 2 this year.

http://www.caves.org/commission/ncrc/na ... ar2012.htm
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: NCRC Weeklong 2012

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 26, 2011 4:19 pm

I plan on being there, pending job stuff.

Not sure what I'll be teaching.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 26, 2011 4:24 pm

I hope to attend (level 1) but you know depends on if I can afford it ($600 o.o is currently an entire paycheck and no freakin' way am I affording that right now, not to mention travel and lodging). So probably, if I have successfully moved to TAG by then I'll probably be able to attend, and if not, the cost will keep me away.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Amy, there is a scholarship from NCRC you can apply for. You sound like the perfect candidate. Also, ask your grotto to sponsor (part or all) of the fees. My grotto pays up to $200 of the fees.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Yea I dont see the scholarship info posted on the site but there normally is one. Not sure if its full cost or just part. And as Scott said check your grotto too, DCG usually gives around $100 per person to 10 members each year.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 26, 2011 5:07 pm

I asked Roger about the scholarship a few weeks ago on behalf of a worthy candidate. He's been a little busy and hasn't got the info out yet, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here. Like last year, there will be two scholarships available of $250 each.

I plan to attend, but I need to juggle some commitments and decide which level I'd like to work with this time.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Carl Amundson » Oct 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I hope to be there taking Level 3.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 26, 2011 6:03 pm

NZcaver wrote:I asked Roger about the scholarship a few weeks ago on behalf of a worthy candidate. He's been a little busy and hasn't got the info out yet, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here. Like last year, there will be two scholarships available of $250 each.

I plan to attend, but I need to juggle some commitments and decide which level I'd like to work with this time.

BTW, I'll add, for those who are in a position to help, the scholarship fund will always take donations.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 26, 2011 6:13 pm

I guess I should finally do this huh.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Stridergdm wrote:
NZcaver wrote:I asked Roger about the scholarship a few weeks ago on behalf of a worthy candidate. He's been a little busy and hasn't got the info out yet, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here. Like last year, there will be two scholarships available of $250 each.

BTW, I'll add, for those who are in a position to help, the scholarship fund will always take donations.

Or you could donate direct to the Fund of Amy :whistle: :tonguecheek:

I did look on the site for scholarship but didn't see anything, cool there is one (I thought I remember last year hearing about scholarships for these things, so I honestly did look!) I'll keep it in mind. I'll ask my grotto too, I know we have some funds and kinda sat around at the last meeting going "so uh...what should we do with our money?" mostly came up with donating to the SCCi and such but maybe there would be a bit in there for such a purpose. I really do hope to be moved to TAG by then...I was supposed to be out of this frozen wasteland this month (didn't want to see first snow) (too late for that now >_< saw snowflakes 2 weeks ago). Can't move without a job. Oh wells.

@ NZ - you should work with level one so on the offchance I can afford to attend you can say hi to your ascenders again. LOL

I really would like to attend next year - I feel like I have enough experience to actually be able to keep up and understand the classes so I think it's a good time to try for it. I like learning as much as I can about safety, because it makes me feel better to know that stuff...even the little things I've learned along the way I've found use for all of that already so I can't imagine how much I would pick up at a weeklong thing.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I guess I should finally do this huh.

I had been putting it off for a while, but I got to do the Level 1 in the Black Hills last month and it was quite awesome.
If you have attended an OCR before you will be well prepared for Level 1.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavedoc » Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Yes, there will be a scholarship this year, two scholarships of $250. I'll get the info up as soon as I can. The URL is out of my court right now. Basically send me a cover letter explaining your financial need and how training will benefit cave rescue in your region, and a caving CV. Then have sent to me two letters of rec by NSS members. Grotto officer letters will carry the most weight. Regional coordinator letters will carry less. Deadline is mid-February. We'll let you know by March for this May seminar.

It's worthwhile asking your NSS REgions and maybe NCRC Regions if they are sponsoring any scholarship programs too. Last year there was one for the Western Region-NSS. I think they will do it again this year too.

And donations to the Cave Rescue Restricted Fund at the NSS are certainly appreciated for this to stay viable for the future.

Stridergdm wrote:

Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby cavedoc » Oct 26, 2011 7:12 pm

And I'll be there. I will be leading the Cave Rescue and Wilderness Medicine elective level.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Bill Putnam » Oct 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Those of you who have had level 2 or level 3 and would like to do something different should sign up of the Team Operations and Field Exercises (TOFE) class. It is essentially all field work every day, with no check-offs in the evenings and no (that's right no) PowerPoint whatsoever! That alone makes it the best course ever offered by the NCRC! :-)

For more information on the TOFE class, contact Tim White, Rebecca Segrest, Scott Stepenuck, or yours truly.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 26, 2011 10:44 pm

cavedoc wrote:And I'll be there. I will be leading the Cave Rescue and Wilderness Medicine elective level.

That sounds really interesting, perhaps because of my medical background. Wish I could take that instead of level 1! I see I need level 2 as a prereq though. Really the medicine side of rescue interests me a lot more than the technical/rigging/etc aspects. But...that's just who I am. Too bad I can't take the graduate school courses and claim those as prereq, I was in with the med students taking some of the same first year courses as they do for my graduate degree!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum