New member in upstate SC

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New member in upstate SC

Postby dellis » Oct 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Hello all,

I'm a new caver looking to (hopefully) get involved more in caving, as well as the SC Interstate Grotto. I'd like to take part in a beginner caving trip sometime to get to know some of the cavers in the area. Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
dellis
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: SCIG

Re: New member in upstate SC

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Are you at Clemson? It might be easier, faster, more fulfilling to head west and find the Dogwood City Grotto in Atlanta. They are very active and welcome interested newbies. The SC Interstate Grotto has some great members, but they don't meet often and aren't as active at DCG. Or you can drive to Asheville for the Flittermouse Grotto. We'll take anyone.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby dellis » Oct 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Are you at Clemson? It might be easier, faster, more fulfilling to head west and find the Dogwood City Grotto in Atlanta. They are very active and welcome interested newbies. The SC Interstate Grotto has some great members, but they don't meet often and aren't as active at DCG. Or you can drive to Asheville for the Flittermouse Grotto. We'll take anyone.

Yep, I am at Clemson. And yeah, from what I could tell, most grottos are going to be an hour or two at least away from me. Would you recommend the Dogwood City Grotto over the Augusta Cave Masters Grotto?

And, I was planning on going up to the SC Interstate grotto meeting that they're having tomorrow. I tried contacting someone from the grotto listed on the NSS Web site, but have yet to hear back.
dellis
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: SCIG

Postby DeanWiseman » Oct 22, 2011 10:54 am

I used to live in Augusta, GA, and the Augusta Cave Masters is a GREAT group of fine folks. And they have very close ties with the South Carolina Interstate Grotto. They frequently team up on caving trips.

In addition, the SCIG involves itself in a number of outdoor activities. I sure think you would have a hard time going wrong with both the SCIG and ACM.

If you would like a contact, let me know, and I'll put you in touch with people from either of the groups.

-Dean

Dean Wiseman
NSS#32690 RL
Member, NSS Board of Directors
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby riverrat68 » Oct 22, 2011 11:33 am

ACM...but I'm biased, being a member of both ACM and SCIG. You will meet a lot of cavers from DCG as I have friends there. Check us out in Augusta!
riverrat68
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 62451
Primary Grotto Affiliation: South Carolina Interstate Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions