Looking For Sullivan Cave (IN) Information

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking For Sullivan Cave (IN) Information

Postby Mat Money » Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello, everyone.

My name is Mat, and I'm very new to these forums, so if this is in the wrong area or if there's something else I need to know, please tell me, but here is the gist:

I and several friends of mine are very interested in in visiting Sullivan Cave after we found a map and description of it in an old "Caves of Indiana" book from the 1970s. After doing some Googling and reading a little about the IKC and what is required to gain access to the cave, I wanted to try to find a possible Grotto in our general area (Scott County, IN) that we maybe could meet up with and hopefully find a guide who has been there before that would be willing to take us through so we could experience some of the best things that Sullivan has to offer. Any and all information and help will be appreciated, but a guide and someone with a little more intimate knowledge of the IKC and permit requirements that we could speak to about gaining access is what we're really hoping for right now. And maybe a more modern map that isn't hand drawn in a book from the 70s.

Thanks in advance,

Mat
Mat Money
New Poster

Re: Looking For Sullivan Cave (IN) Information

Postby Phil Winkler » Sep 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mat. I'm sure someone from the area will respond.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey Mat!

Just sent you a PM. Let's talk!

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby fireman1904 » Sep 15, 2011 8:43 pm

I could hook you up. I am thinking of doing a tourist trip there with some new cavers sometime soon.
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby Cody JW » Sep 20, 2011 9:29 am

Not sure if this helps but The Eastern Indiana Grotto is leading a trip into Sullivans this Saturday (24th) . The leaders of this trip are very familiar with the cave as a couple of them have made recent trips all the way back to the rise. The rise trip is over 6 miles. Scout trip will not go back that far as wetsuits are normally required.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby FW » Sep 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Welcome to the forum, Mat. I'm sure someone from the area will respond.

Phil, is there any underwater section in this cave? If not, it probably should be moved elsewhere.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Cody JW » Sep 20, 2011 7:45 pm

No dives as far as I know have ever been attempted in this cave. I was wondering why it was on this link. This cave is just under 10 miles long and most of it is stream passage with large rooms above the stream . A true Indiana Classic.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby shibumi » Sep 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Actually, Forrest, there is a dive at the far upstream section and IIRC one attempt has been made but the logistics of humping gear that far (several miles) makes it a major expedition to do so.

Anyway, Mat, we are doing monthly gas monitoring in there, typically on Thursday evenings, and depending on where you are (local or out of town), you and your friends (depending on how many) could tag along on one of our trips. PM me if you are interested.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Billy » Sep 24, 2011 9:53 pm

On a trip to the Rise (the sump area) we had found a dive weight. We asked Sam Frushour about it and he said (version I remember from several years ago) that he went with a diver to the Rise long ago and during the long trip back there they bumped the knob for the regulator so they lost most or all of the air. He said, if I recall correctly something like "it probably saved his life due to the visibility". That water is pretty murky at the Rise...
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 25, 2011 8:30 am

Billy wrote:That water is pretty murky at the Rise...

It can vary. On normal days it's gin-clear... but when you step into the rise pool, it can silt up to chocolate milk very quickly. But then it will clear back to gin in seconds.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby mauro53043 » Dec 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Looking for a good map of Sullivan Cave. Planning to visit end of January, 2012. Does anyone have a digital file?
Thanks,
Mauro
mauro53043
New Poster

NSS #: 53043

Postby wyandottecaver » Dec 28, 2011 9:22 pm

PM me and I can get you a map. You will still need to secure directions,access, and waivers through the IKC.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum