DIY li-ion battery packs for Apex

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DIY li-ion battery packs for Apex

Postby rlboyce » Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Here's a discussion on CPF about adding a li-ion pack to your Apex: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?321961-Lithium-Ion-rechargeable-batteries-for-Apex-at-7.4v Obviously this would immediately void your warranty, but... it's a very temping idea, given the poor runtimes. Of course, you could just buy a light with better runtimes instead. : ) Let's just say, if I ever do something to my Apex that voids the warranty, I'm definitely swapping the AA case with a li-ion pack. I could do some calculations to demonstrate the increased runtimes, but I'm feeling too lazy right now. : )
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: DIY li-ion battery packs for Apex

Postby LukeM » Sep 14, 2011 8:26 am

That's a pretty cool idea. Did some back of the envelope calculations and it looks like a 4 cell pack like Szemhazai is using could provide ~2.8x the run times that eneloops would. :)
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: DIY li-ion battery packs for Apex

Postby rlboyce » Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, that's quite an increase! That would equate to... one and half days of regulation on the 4 LED high setting. Nice!!

I still have to give the Apex a failing grade for the center LED runtime... even with that battery pack, you'd still only have 2.8 hours of runtime with a 130 lumen Apex. The ol' HP10 put out nearly double the lumens at 2.5 hours of runtime... all on only 4AAs.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Return to Equipment Forum