Ellisons cave help please :)

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ellisons cave help please :)

Postby bennettbike » Sep 8, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello everyone.

I have been down warmup pit, to the attic and down fantastic.

Finally I wanted to try a horizontal trip, passed warmup pit and ended up in the agony as the ceiling was a foot high at most with wet mud.
So my friend and I figured maybe we could find the historic entrance and come through the agony from the other side.

If anyone could private message me,
If i climb up over the dug entrance do I go right of left on the wagon trail to the historic entrance.

We spent hours walking in circles until we did what we have done a million times... Look for random caves everywhere, I call these walks, "not caving".

Thanks.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Ellisons cave help please :)

Postby Bill Putnam » Sep 8, 2010 9:19 pm

Check your private messages and contact me directly and I will try to help you.

Bill
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby driver3871 » Aug 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Im inquiring about the same exact thing.. I could ent the dug ent and pass thru the agony but I would like know how to access the historic ent above ground PM me plz
driver3871
Occasional Poster

Name: Nicholas Driver
NSS #: 63444

Re: Ellisons cave

Postby justinmiller » Aug 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Anybody dropping Ellison's cave this labor day weekend?
Justin Miller
NSS# 57721
SCCI# 3785 (sustaining)
justinmiller
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 57721

Postby driver3871 » Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm

I have a friend who is planning on heading up there labor day.. youu know what.. I just realized that it was you :doh: You still planning on Thanksgiving weekend as well?
driver3871
Occasional Poster

Postby driver3871 » Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I jus happen to spot a blue suv in the blue hole parking lot this past labor day:) wondering how the trip was??!!..
driver3871
Occasional Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 13, 2011 7:47 pm

I can say from personal experience that a strictly horizontal trip into Ellison's (NO VERTICAL GEAR), is really really fun. I took my barely-a-caver wife on one of her first real caving trips into Ellison's. The walk up is actually quite pleasant without a huge rope and all that vertical gear. I was shocked at how much I missed on vertical trips because I was so focused on (heh) bigger and "better" things.

Mostly harder, is what it really is... :there yet: Did you know there's a substantial population of glow worms in the Ecstasy Passage? Yup! :big grin:

Yeah, no doubt, the big pits are awesome to see and it's an immense privilege in life to have the ability and the means to enjoy them first-hand. But Ellison's is a fantastic horizontal cave (no pun intended). If that cave didn't have a single pit in it, it would still be a fun cave to visit; I've been to a lot worse.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Sep 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Dean -I have found in the past few years how much I enjoy ridge walking in TAG, after being used to hiking those hills with rope and gear. It is a pleasant surprise to hike the same hills with just a light pack. But getting old has something to do with that. So I see what you mean about the Ellisons hike. I drive from Indy to TAG by myself just to verify locations with a GPS so when I come back with a group I am not hiking those monsters with gear just to go on wild goose chases, been there done that. Like the old saying goes " with age comes wisdom".
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby driver3871 » Sep 16, 2011 2:48 pm

DeanWiseman wrote:I can say from personal experience that a strictly horizontal trip into Ellison's (NO VERTICAL GEAR), is really really fun. I took my barely-a-caver wife on one of her first real caving trips into Ellison's. The walk up is actually quite pleasant without a huge rope and all that vertical gear. I was shocked at how much I missed on vertical trips because I was so focused on (heh) bigger and "better" things.

Mostly harder, is what it really is... :there yet: Did you know there's a substantial population of glow worms in the Ecstasy Passage? Yup! :big grin:

Yeah, no doubt, the big pits are awesome to see and it's an immense privilege in life to have the ability and the means to enjoy them first-hand. But Ellison's is a fantastic horizontal cave (no pun intended). If that cave didn't have a single pit in it, it would still be a fun cave to visit; I've been to a lot worse.

-Dean

I was unaware of that!! However I will make a note of that for our next trip up there!!.. Ive never had to carry all the Vert gear to ellisons so I can only imagine how tedious this task is!..
driver3871
Occasional Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 17, 2011 5:35 pm

it sucks.................but its so worth it.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby k80_g » Jan 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi, I want to surprise my boyfriend with a trip to Ellisons Cave either Memorial Weekend or July 4th weekend. We live in Austin TX. Will there be an experienced cavers caving Memorial Weekend 2014?? I'm not experienced but my boyfriend is. I would love any help, advice, or anyone interested in caving with us that weekend.
k80_g
New Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 24, 2014 12:05 am

Just to let you know, a couple years ago 2 college kids died in Ellisons who weren't experienced cavers........... Just sayin........
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum