Did you go to OTR? Meningitis Warning!!!!

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Did you go to OTR? Meningitis Warning!!!!

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 6, 2011 2:47 pm

I got this thru the email chain...

For those of you who have not heard, Clay Johnson (with Buzz City) came down with a really high fever last night, ended up going to the hospital and was diagnosed with Viral Meningitis. They said he probably wouldn't have made it through the night had he not gone to the hospital.... so... if you come down with a high fever, don't try to fight it out, you may have the same thing - not worth the risk.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Did you go to OTR? Meningitis Warning!!!!

Postby mgmills » Sep 6, 2011 3:44 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I got this thru the email chain...

For those of you who have not heard, Clay Johnson (with Buzz City) came down with a really high fever last night, ended up going to the hospital and was diagnosed with Viral Meningitis. They said he probably wouldn't have made it through the night had he not gone to the hospital.... so... if you come down with a high fever, don't try to fight it out, you may have the same thing - not worth the risk.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbmening.htm

See the above website for ways it is transmitted. Was he swimming in the river (which may have had low stagnant water) prior to the rains coming)?
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby icave » Sep 6, 2011 4:52 pm

Key thing said there is "Viral Meningitis." Very different for the bacterial version in how you get it. From the CDC page:

"Q: Can I get viral meningitis if I’m around someone who has it?

A: If you are around someone with viral meningitis, you may be at risk of becoming infected with the virus that made them sick. But you have only a small chance of developing meningitis as a complication of the illness."
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 6, 2011 6:07 pm

icave wrote:Key thing said there is "Viral Meningitis." Very different for the bacterial version in how you get it. From the CDC page:

"Q: Can I get viral meningitis if I’m around someone who has it?

A: If you are around someone with viral meningitis, you may be at risk of becoming infected with the virus that made them sick. But you have only a small chance of developing meningitis as a complication of the illness."

:exactly:

I did a quick google search to get the link I posted. There were a lot more links that popped up. Anyone who attended the event and is worried can get lots of info with a quick internet search.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Caver Events