UNDER ARMOR THAT LET MOISTURE GO THROUGH

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby CAVERSCOTTM » Jan 22, 2007 3:55 pm

I used a knock off brand shirt this weekend and it worked really well. It keep me dry and cool for the most part but my lost creek cave suit was pretty drenched. I wish this thing was built the same way and the shirts.
CAVERSCOTTM
Infrequent Poster

Postby subter » Mar 5, 2007 11:35 pm

got the long sleeved shirt and long pants ($50 each) and I look obscene in them... they REALLY should be used as an under layer for most people. I used the gear in a cold cave with water a bit above my waistline and this stuff kept me nice and warm. No wrinkly pasty skin afterward either so the wicking must really work. It is 64% Nylon, 22% Polyester and 14 Elastane. I am extremely satisfied.
subter
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby copelandcaver7 » May 10, 2007 3:59 am

I found at Walmart they have a knock of UA t-shirt for under $15 and it works great.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Re: UNDER ARMOR THAT LET MOISTURE GO THROUGH

Postby Caver John » Sep 2, 2011 4:18 pm

Under armor is WAY over priced. Ever notice they usually don't list the materials. They use a combo of polyester and spandex just like most other brands, nothing special about it. Polyester is polyester and I will never buy under armor.
Polypro is good always has been. Merino wool is great IMO. Dont like wool much because it itches. I like coolmax aswell.
I'm a bit of a fabric freak. I can honestly tell u that only a small fraction of my entire woredrobe is cotton, and those are only t shirts fOr summer. I don't own one pair of cotton socks and come fall, I wear no cotton at all.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby DeanWiseman » Sep 2, 2011 5:38 pm

The place I watch like a hawk is wintersilks.com

Every once in a while, they'll have a sale, and I'm telling you, silk is unreal... especially when it's on sale.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Caver John » Sep 3, 2011 9:54 am

DeanWiseman wrote:The place I watch like a hawk is wintersilks.com

Every once in a while, they'll have a sale, and I'm telling you, silk is unreal... especially when it's on sale.

-Dean

Silk weight is usually the way I go. I like the miliary acu Ecwcs.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Sep 3, 2011 4:13 pm

I've started seeing this stuff (UA or copy-cat material) show up in thrift stores lately, so no need to spend $40 for a t-shirt. Usually mixed in with the t-shirts but the material is pretty easy to spot from a distance while picking through the racks.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 4, 2011 8:54 pm

DeanWiseman wrote:The place I watch like a hawk is wintersilks.com

-Dean

I love silk. Problem is here in the south you can wear polypro and under armor type shirts uncovered in a lot of caves. It is pretty durable. I have worn silk but it tears more easily and needs an outer layer which is sometimes too much in southern caves.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby LukeM » Sep 6, 2011 7:41 am

I've had great luck with the Duofold brand blend of polyester and merino wool. The inside layer is all polyester and the outside is a blend. Very soft and warm, but also wicks and doesn't hold a ton of water. I paid $20 each for a top and bottom about 4 years ago and I still use them all the time. They have a couple of styles of merino wool blend. I also have their rib knit polypro but don't use it all that much since it's pretty scratchy and uncomfortable.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NWSurveyor » Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am

I'm a fan of the Duofold shirts. I do a fair bit of mountaineering and back country skiing and there's a whole market for underwear for these activities that are worth looking at; Doufold, Patagonia, Marmot, REI, etc.. The only Under Armor I have is a long sleeve Heat Gear shirt I wear when jogging. I will say that this shirt definitely keeps me cool. I plan to pick up a cold gear shirt and test it this winter in the hills.
The dead know only one thing, that it is better to be alive.
-FMJ
NWSurveyor
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael
NSS #: 62791
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Oregon Grotto

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum