An Unlikely Caver from Louisiana

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

An Unlikely Caver from Louisiana

Postby Otter » Sep 10, 2010 12:32 am

Greetings,

First off I would like to say that I was absolutely delighted to find a group such as this, and while I may be from Louisiana that does not mean I don't get out often to see a cave or two or five.

I have been spelunking since age 13 thanks to my wonderful summer camp in North Carolina that I attended for 6 summers. Afterward I was left hooked to the activity and I have been dedicating a lot of free time and energy to finding and exploring caves. I am very particular to wild caves and I have had various experiences with them in my travels, and while I may not say I am a pro, I know to be safe and cautious when descending into the depths as it were.

Spelunking is my passion and will always be very close to my heart and seeing a group like this online is extremely motivating to me and I will look forward to any planned events that I might be able to attend. I have not found a local club however because of my geological location, but I am hoping that I will soon find the right one for me.

Not much else to say other than I am a tech geek by weekday and active explorer by weekend :3

So, hello all!
Last edited by Otter on Sep 10, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otter
Infrequent Poster

Re: An Unlikely Spelunker from Louisiana

Postby rlboyce » Sep 10, 2010 7:21 am

Welcome Otter!

From this point forward, be prepared for the onslaught of criticism when you use the words "spelunker" or "spelunking." For some reason, these words have become foul and tainted to the vast majority of self-titled "cavers." The accepted terms are "caver" and "caving." :roll:

I have no knowledge of karst (cave bearing rock) down that way, but something tells me there is relatively little to none in Louisiana. However, I believe there are numerous caves in the surrounding states!

If you are interested in joining a local club (Grotto) or any caving events, check out this link: http://www.nssio.org/Find_Grotto.cfm Here you can search for the ones closest to you and all the contact information is right there. I think there is even one in Louisiana. These clubs can be an excellent place to learn new things as well.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and if you ever have any other questions there are many people on this forum that can answer.

Happy caving!
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: An Unlikely Spelunker from Louisiana

Postby Otter » Sep 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Ah thank you for the heads up on the word "spelunker". And thank you again for the information on finding a local grotto.

And to be honest I think there are zero caves anywhere in this state, but that's what I travel for! Right now I've been visiting Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma for various reasons so it would be great to see some more caves up in that area. When I started out caving I mostly saw various wild caves up in Tennessee and West Virginia. There seem to a be a lot of very interesting ones up there.
Otter
Infrequent Poster

Re: An Unlikely Caver from Louisiana

Postby seachelle » Sep 1, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi there. I'm from Louisiana too. What area are you from? I'm about 40 minutes from NO in Tangipahoa. I think I just misused the world "spelunker" in my first post as well... oops. Anyhoo, happy caving!
seachelle
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63404

Return to Caver Introductions