iPhone 4 Cave Photography Preliminary Trial

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

iPhone 4 Cave Photography Preliminary Trial

Postby cavescom » Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

This was our first attempt at iPhone 4 cave photography and was more of a trial/learning trip. What we need next time is a tripod, better lighting, subjects for scale in the photos and more time to setup the shot. The shutter stays open for 2 seconds(the slightest movement degrades the picture) and we didn't have app set to 'large' picture size so quality is not great, but we now know it is worth the effort to haul in a little more gear and prepare better. Hopefully this video and the tutorial at the end will help others to jumpstart an iPhone Cave Photography trip.

Trip Participants: Mark Passerby(shooting photos), Kyle Johnson, Sandra Harrah, Jordan Sweeney, Keith Sweeney, James Heagy, Robert F Kirk, Pat Dolin

Mark Passerby, Cavediggers.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Re: iPhone 4 Cave Photography Preliminary Trial

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 1, 2011 9:19 am

Nice, I saw this shared on FB from a friend of mine.

Also, dude, hello fellow Michigander! Why have we not met yet and why are we not carpooling to go on trips?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavescom » Sep 1, 2011 10:05 am

I used to make the 8 hour trip alone to West Virginia once a month sometimes twice, but carpooling would work out sooo much better. We will be doing another iPhone 4 trip soon...this time it will be a photo trip only i.e. this trip in the video the equipment was just thrown in just to get an idea of the process and if it would work well enough. With a tripod and more light it will produce stunning results so I am psyched to get the next iPHone trip scheduled. mark@cavediggers.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 1, 2011 10:15 am

Interesting idea, but I'm wondering... why the iPhone? :question:

Not to be disparaging, but I suspect you'll get much higher quality images from a real camera with a real lens than from an iPhone (or any other phone). A pinhead size lens has limitations, and all that. Is that iPhone waterproof? If so, I could see something compact being an acceptable compromise for action photos, but if you're going to be hauling in gear for tripod-mounted long exposures anyway..? :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 1, 2011 11:03 am

Awesome, emailed you! =) photo trip would be fun! I like your theory of trying to get good shots with as little gear as possible. It's my way of doing it too, haha!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavescom » Sep 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Awesome, emailed you! =) photo trip would be fun! I like your theory of trying to get good shots with as little gear as possible. It's my way of doing it too, haha!

Will let you know when we do next trip....I will have the iPad 2 all rigged up for doing a first run on an in-cave survey/sketching trip, but I'm bringing the iPhone/tripod along as well to get the photo/video thing done better.

Mark
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum