34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 27, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the history of doodlebug. Pretty interesting stuff. 330, 390, i guess the old survey wasn't too far off/ lol. great photos kelly
User avatar
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Missouri
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 27, 2011 2:10 pm

2 questions for those in the know:

1. I maybe hallucinating, but I seem to remember someone setting setting up a table on vendors row that one could sell some used cave gear. Was I dreaming? I have some gear I would like to sell.
2. The Cave-In website used to have a map of the campground that showed camping areas, road names, etc. Does anyone have a copy and would be willing to send it to me?

Thanks
User avatar
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Aug 18, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SW Missouri
NSS #: 19471
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby mgmills » Aug 27, 2011 4:44 pm

boogercaver71 wrote:2 questions for those in the know:

1. I maybe hallucinating, but I seem to remember someone setting setting up a table on vendors row that one could sell some used cave gear. Was I dreaming? I have some gear I would like to sell.
2. The Cave-In website used to have a map of the campground that showed camping areas, road names, etc. Does anyone have a copy and would be willing to send it to me?

Thanks


You are hallucinating (unless it was a before my time of attending the event). Some events do have consignment booths to sell used gear (I know they do it at Conventions). The Cave-In does not have any consignment sales booths and no individual vendors are allowed to sell used caving gear (with the exception of old carbide lights in the Speleobooks booth). I'd suggest you try to sell your gear in the section of this forum devoted to that sort of thing. If someone going to the Cave-In wants to buy it you could deliver it there.

I do remember the map you are asking about. I'm pretty sure it was removed because since the initial map there have been some changes in road names. I personally don't think I have a copy of it but some folks may. I know it was distributed as a handout at registration for several years so I will look to see if I have one stuck away somewhere.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
User avatar
mgmills
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Sewanee TN
Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

You are hallucinating


My mind slips a little more each day. Thanks for the info
User avatar
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Aug 18, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SW Missouri
NSS #: 19471
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby wendy » Aug 28, 2011 1:32 am

Actually there is a booth that sells old boots, cave suits, wetsuits, etc. Was that what you were thinking of? They also have those yummy cookies.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
User avatar
wendy
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 10:51 am
Location: florida
Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 28, 2011 7:43 am

It could be Wendy, I tend to loose too many brain cells at the Cave-In to be sure though.
User avatar
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Aug 18, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: SW Missouri
NSS #: 19471
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby Scoon1 » Aug 29, 2011 11:48 am

You remembered correctly Wendy. Cookies and Gear is one of the vendors at the Cave-In and they do sell used gear.

I stand corrected - No 'gear'.
Last edited by Scoon1 on Aug 31, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Schoonover
NSS, SCCi, DCG, SMG
User avatar
Scoon1
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: LaGrange, GA
Name: Eric Schoonover
NSS #: 51375
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewannee Mountain Grotto Dogwood City Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby mgmills » Aug 30, 2011 8:43 am

Scoon1 wrote:You remembered correctly Wendy. Cookies and Gear is one of the vendors at the Cave-In and they do sell used gear.


Eric, I have been attending Cave-In's since 1994. I have never seen "caving gear" at Cookies and Gear. They sell fleece clothing, wet suits, boots, sandals, etc. No caving gear like helmets, ascenders, descenders, cavesuits, etc. There is a reason for this. . . since you are a DCG member, talk to the members of the Cave-In Advisory board to learn why.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
User avatar
mgmills
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Sewanee TN
Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby mgmills » Aug 31, 2011 10:09 am

Last day to pre-register for this year's Cave-In. Register now and save $10 off the at the gate price.


http://tagfallcavein.org/registration.asp
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
User avatar
mgmills
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Sewanee TN
Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby wendy » Sep 4, 2011 1:07 pm

So I need to start figuring out what caves I wanna go to during the fall cave-in. I am still outta shape, so I am looking for nice easy walking passage cave without miles of walking back up the mountain to get back to the car. I know I am asking for a lot. lol Does anyone go to Monteagle Saltpeter Cave? Any other suggestions, or anyone going anywhere and wouldn't mind me tagging along?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
User avatar
wendy
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 10:51 am
Location: florida
Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 6, 2011 10:05 am

wendy wrote:So I need to start figuring out what caves I wanna go to during the fall cave-in. I am still outta shape, so I am looking for nice easy walking passage cave without miles of walking back up the mountain to get back to the car. I know I am asking for a lot. lol Does anyone go to Monteagle Saltpeter Cave? Any other suggestions, or anyone going anywhere and wouldn't mind me tagging along?



You would need to get permission to go to Monteagle Saltpeter Cave. Even though the Sewanne Mountain Grotto did a cleanup there last May the cave is still in pretty bad shape. Lots and lots of glass in the cave and grafitti on the walls. You might want to look for a better cave to visit. Have you been to Sittons, Bluff River, Iron Hoop, Tate or Jess Elliott? Those would be easy walking caves to get too...
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
User avatar
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 537
Joined: May 17, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Jasper, Tennessee
Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto
  

SpeleoArt Workshop

Postby kvart » Sep 7, 2011 8:32 am

Carolina informed me she is busy getting up materials and supplies for the SpeleoArt Workshop. If you are interested in attending, please go to our FB page and let us know.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=267601336600389
User avatar
kvart
Moderator
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: My World
NSS #: 32846
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby wendy » Sep 7, 2011 2:36 pm

rowland7840 wrote:
wendy wrote:So I need to start figuring out what caves I wanna go to during the fall cave-in. I am still outta shape, so I am looking for nice easy walking passage cave without miles of walking back up the mountain to get back to the car. I know I am asking for a lot. lol Does anyone go to Monteagle Saltpeter Cave? Any other suggestions, or anyone going anywhere and wouldn't mind me tagging along?



You would need to get permission to go to Monteagle Saltpeter Cave. Even though the Sewanne Mountain Grotto did a cleanup there last May the cave is still in pretty bad shape. Lots and lots of glass in the cave and grafitti on the walls. You might want to look for a better cave to visit. Have you been to Sittons, Bluff River, Iron Hoop, Tate or Jess Elliott? Those would be easy walking caves to get too...


I've been to bluff river but would like to go again, since last time was a photo trip and i didn't get to see much cave. if you hear of anyone going let me know.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
User avatar
wendy
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 10:51 am
Location: florida
Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 7, 2011 7:19 pm

So last year I noticed that Saturday night people tended to dress up in costume or such...would it be super-weird if I brought my corset to wear you think?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Aug 6, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: Offline, in real life, with real cavers.
  

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby mgmills » Sep 7, 2011 9:02 pm

Sungura wrote:So last year I noticed that Saturday night people tended to dress up in costume or such...would it be super-weird if I brought my corset to wear you think?


Yeah, lots of people do like to dress up. If you are into it I say go for it. . . just remember the weather can be cold. . . last year was pretty warm but some years have been downright frosty.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
User avatar
mgmills
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Sewanee TN
Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto
  

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron