Seat Harnesses

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Seat Harnesses

Postby Casper » Oct 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I have a GGG seat harness I have become quite fond of. My husband is wanting to get vertical. Naturally I suggested to GGG to him, however when I was checking out their web site I noticed they are only recommended up to 42 inch waist. He has a 42 inch waist. Not being a larger waist guy myself I have no reference to know if this is going to work for him or not. Seeing as I have had most of my gear before I found my husband I've never really been interested in what would work for someone of his build. I know my stuff works for me, and I have seen male caver's my size with the same set up, but I've not given that much attention to what's good for larger guys. Anyone able to give me a bit of insight?
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Re: Seat Harnesses

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Casper,

I have a GGG "caver" (not ultralight) harness as a spare. I have a 38 waist. I think the bigger question is how top heavy is he? I have a lot of torso in relation to my leg length (29 inseam). The reason I use the GGG as a spare is I always felt I was about to tip over and fall out of it since it rides so low. It it VERY nice for push trips and is very effecient for frogging but doesn't give me that warm fuzzy secure feeling I like when peering down a pit. Most small frame women I loan it to love it.

I use a wide strap on-rope harness (unpadded Endurance) mostly, but I love my Petzl Calidris climbing harness for comfort (heavier folks notice those narrow straps!) when tight, snaggy crawls arent an issue. (The Calidris is NOT effecient for frogging btw).

If your hubby has a "lot of leg" in relation to his torso he may well be fine. I also dont think the GGG is unsafe...just makes me feel tipsy.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ek » Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm

I also use the GGG Caver Seat Harness and love it. If it says it's good up to a 42 inch waist, then it should be...but the key question is, is it possible to push the waist strap down below the hips? If so, then it's not safe--he could fall out of it if he goes upside down (which CAN happen).

But other frog harnesses aren't likely to solve that problem. There are harnesses that adjust bigger, but adjusting bigger doesn't keep them from slipping down. It's really a question of how well-defined his hips are. For most people (besides young children), a traditional seat harness works fine.

There are full-body harnesses for those who do not have sufficiently well-defined hips, but I'm not sure which models would work best for caving. It would probably depend, in part, on what climbing system he is going to use.

If you do want a traditional caving seat harness that adjusts above 42", I recommend the PMI Pit Viper (large size).
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 14, 2009 7:27 am

You could always call Becky at GGG and ask her to make you one a little larger.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Oct 14, 2009 10:53 am

The On Rope 1 Goliath harness in a large should fit him well and will be MUCH more comfortable than the GGG or the the PMI. Wish I would have gotten the fully padded version....
I own both the Goliath and the GGG. Well worth the extra money for the Goliath....especially if he's a bigger guy.

OR1 Goliath Frog Fully Padded
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby NZcaver » Oct 14, 2009 11:10 am

More padding does not always equal more comfort in a seat harness. There is such a thing as too much padding, particularly for those of us who use frog systems.

I've designed/built several generations of seat harnesses for myself over the years, including generously-padded ones. However for the last decade or so I've been really happy with my simple Petzl Rapide harness, which - although now obsolete - is a similar design to the GGG Ultralight.

As always, your best option is to smile politely and borrow a few different harnesses from friends (or your grotto) and TRY THEM OUT before buying. Do some climbing, rappelling and a few changeovers.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby ek » Oct 14, 2009 11:45 am

NZcaver wrote:I've designed/built several generations of seat harnesses for myself over the years, including generously-padded ones. However for the last decade or so I've been really happy with my simple Petzl Rapide harness, which - although now obsolete - is a similar design to the GGG Ultralight.

The Petzl Rapide was a buttstrap harness?
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Oct 14, 2009 12:38 pm

ek wrote:The Petzl Rapide was a buttstrap harness?

Yep.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby chh » Nov 30, 2009 7:44 am

Scott McCrea wrote:You could always call Becky at GGG and ask her to make you one a little larger.

I did this exact same thing for my girlfriend, allthough Becky made it smaller instead of larger and even adjusted the angle of leg loops to compensate.
Excellent service.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby barleywino » Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:Casper,

I use a wide strap on-rope harness (unpadded Endurance) mostly, but I love my Petzl Calidris climbing harness for comfort (heavier folks notice those narrow straps!) when tight, snaggy crawls arent an issue. (The Calidris is NOT effecient for frogging btw).

I gave my nephew a padded Onrope1 Endurance harness. He was toproping in the gym and when he got to the top of the climb, he looked down and saw that his harness waistbelt had come completely unbuckled. Fortunately he was able to hang out with one hand while re-inserting the waistbelt through the buckle with the other. We figured afterwards that since the harness was slightly large for him, the buckle had ended up situated near the center instead of off to the side, so was more susceptible to being loosened by the pressure of his stomach every time he bent forward or sat down. Using a triglide buckle to thread the tail end of the waistbelt elimimates this problem. Great harness, but something to be aware of.
barleywino
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 22237
Primary Grotto Affiliation: boston

Return to Equipment Forum