Knee Pad Materials

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Knee Pad Materials

Postby John DeLong » Dec 22, 2005 10:09 pm

Just wondering what types of materials people have used for knee padding, especially in cave suits.

I'm interested in what materials, their durability, where they can be obtained.
John DeLong
Infrequent Poster

Postby Amocholes » Dec 23, 2005 5:36 am

My cave suit has large pockets that seal with velcro over the knees. I used 1/2" closed cell foam cut to fit the pockets. (old backpacking sleeping pad). The pockets have velcro across the bottom and a strap that goes around the knee. I also wear a cheap set of sports (soccer?) kneepads under the suit.

Gives me plenty of cushion. I've been using the same kneepads for 8 years and the pads in the suit for 6.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby cavemann » Mar 30, 2006 2:50 pm

What Kind Of Pants Do You Have The Foam In
Because I Have A Pair Of Carharts With Bryer Proof FronTs On Them Would That work on some thing like them?
cavemann
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Mar 30, 2006 2:56 pm

I've used the foam one finds under carpeting. If you go to those carpet outlet places and dumpster dive you can find loads of it, also can find office type carpet pieces large enough for impromptu rope-pads. Cut to shape they do rawther nicely as "light padding". Only trouble with them is they don't handle water too well so dry caves are suitable for this type.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby erebus » Mar 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Second the sleeping pad material. One $10 army-surplus pad will give you enough material for a small Grotto, and it doesn't soak up water like carpet pad.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2006 12:04 am

Amocholes wrote:My cave suit has large pockets that seal with velcro over the knees. I used 1/2" closed cell foam cut to fit the pockets. (old backpacking sleeping pad). The pockets have velcro across the bottom and a strap that goes around the knee. I also wear a cheap set of sports (soccer?) kneepads under the suit.

Gives me plenty of cushion. I've been using the same kneepads for 8 years and the pads in the suit for 6.

You wear your separate kneepads UNDER your suit? :? I figure wearing them on top helps protect the suit - kneepads being only a fraction of what a good suit costs to replace. Plus they're a little easier to adjust when they move around.

When in cooler climates, I use my Meander suit with the same 1/2 inch foam in the knee pockets. Suit or not, I always wear my long Bomber Gear kneepads over the top - and they use really dense 3/4 inch foam. I used to use short Bombers, but the long ones are so much better - they protect the shins, and don't slip down or move around quite as much. Sharp lava tends to kill them, though. Since Bomber Gear is now out of business, I have to find some material and a sewing machine to fix my ones. Meanwhile, a set of $11 foam-and-plastic ones from Wal-Mart seem to be doing an OK job.
By the way, I just found out Black Diamond makes kneepads... http://www.bdel.com/gear/telekneesis.php ...anyone tried them? :question:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Herman Miller » Apr 1, 2006 3:24 am

not quite in the same caliber as super space aged micro-bubble foam but when deployed overseas and needing something in an impromptu manner we'd just cut the tips off the socks and throw them across the knee and elbow under the standard "soccer" guards we would wear to help prevent rubbing
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby ian mckenzie » Apr 1, 2006 5:08 pm

NZcaver wrote:I figure wearing them on top helps protect the suit - kneepads being only a fraction of what a good suit costs to replace. Plus they're a little easier to adjust when they move around.
Yeah me too. Plus, you can pull them down round your boot-tops (assuming you're wearing hiking boots) like gaiters, to keep the snow and pebbles out when you're hiking off the mountain (er, assuming you're on a mountain...).
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby John DeLong » Apr 2, 2006 11:45 am

I've been asking a lot of people and gotten a lot of different options. If I've learned one thing it's that nothing is perfect.

Having said that - what is the best way to repair bomber knee pads. The pads last forever relative to the covering. What has worked for people?
John DeLong
Infrequent Poster

Postby Amocholes » Apr 2, 2006 3:48 pm

The ones I wear on the inside have an elastic sleeve that holds them in place very well. They don't move around. As far as wear on the cavesuit goes, I've been using it for 6 years and the the only repairs I've had to make was some stitching on the side seams at the waist. The knees have held up very well.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby NZcaver » Apr 2, 2006 7:06 pm

John DeLong wrote:Having said that - what is the best way to repair bomber knee pads. The pads last forever relative to the covering. What has worked for people?

I'm interested to know what others have done too. I will be rebuilding my ones as soon as I have access to material and a sewing machine again. :woohoo:

My plan is to get some Cordura or Ballistic Nylon, and some 3-inch Nylon seat belt webbing. I will sew a strip of webbing down the front of each piece of kneepad material, as added protection against wear-and-tear. Then I will place the material right over the top of the existing face of the knee pad, perhaps glueing it to the old pad with AquaSeal of Shoe Goo. Folding the new material over the old pad edges, I'll sew around it on 3 sides, and then do the forth side carefully so as not to sew the velcro flap closed.

That's the plan, anyway... :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby lenslover2003 » Apr 3, 2006 12:26 pm

As for "repairing" my Bomber pads,what I did, was a two pronged approach. When my pads started to show some weak spots in the edge stitching,I took them to a local tarp shop,and had them sew on some black material ,completely over the front of them. I believe they said this stuff was used for semi-trucks,to cover their loads. It's light,supple,and wears well. I would recommend it for use in a home made pair. This was accomplished for about $ 20.

Just to be on the safe side,I then went to Wal-Mart,and bought a roll of Gorilla Tape,and wrapped around the area between the straps,with several layers. Suprisingly,the tape has really held up to the abuse of crawling,and the pads should last considerably longer. It's a great fix,for about $7 a roll.
Blessed are the cracked......for they shall let in the light.......
lenslover2003
Frequent Poster

Postby VACaver » May 9, 2006 2:23 pm

I made completely new kneepads styled on the long bombers. They look very similar, but have a length of 3" Type 9 webbing sewn down the middle to take the abuse.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby graveleye » May 9, 2006 3:25 pm

Have any of you tried any of these soft-shelled plastic knee-pads that have a soft and flexible shell on the outside and soft padding inside? They buckle around the back rather than an elastic tube. Elastic seems to cause my poor legs to go numb from the knee down. I bought the new ones while I am doing a lot of tile-work in my house and they are quite comfortable, but dont know how they would hold up in a cave though with infinatly more body movement. I suppose I could find out though! Got them at HD for like $12.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby barcelonacvr » May 9, 2006 3:32 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:
NZcaver wrote:I figure wearing them on top helps protect the suit - kneepads being only a fraction of what a good suit costs to replace. Plus they're a little easier to adjust when they move around.
Yeah me too. Plus, you can pull them down round your boot-tops (assuming you're wearing hiking boots) like gaiters, to keep the snow and pebbles out when you're hiking off the mountain (er, assuming you're on a mountain...).

I use mine the same way and the gaiter factor is great if your hitting deep water.I abhor wearing them inside

my current and constant choice for knee pads are these

http://www.sixsixone.com/images/store/p ... 504-00.jpg
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum