34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 34th Annual TAG Fall Cave-In

Postby kvart » Aug 18, 2011 11:12 am

tncaver wrote:Are there any new caves on the caving list this year Glenn?

not sure about that, will have to check with my cave guru.......
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Need money?

Postby kvart » Aug 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Remember..even though the Cave-In is all about fun..all profits from the TAG Fall Cave-In goes back into the caving community. If you need funding for your cave conservation project, you can apply for a grant through DCG after the Cave-In
kvart

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 19, 2011 11:25 pm

That was a mean title change on the topic. I thought, "YES!" and thought there would be a way for me to *make* some money in a post...nope. Well unless I come up with a cave conservation project. How about a caver conservation project? :P

...i'm done now i maybe have too much energy atm
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Aug 21, 2011 3:05 am

Mailed my check in today.

I've noticed any drum noises. hmm i must be passed out by that point. I camp across from the short bus grotto folks, if i can sleep thru that i can sleep thru anything
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

tick-tock

Postby kvart » Aug 24, 2011 4:43 pm

the clock is ticking......one week left to pre-reg!

don't be a :doh:

http://tagfallcavein.org/
kvart

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Hey does anyone else going like samba or salsa or maybe plays capoeira? 'Cause we should totally dance and stuff, and play capi, if there is anyone. Maybe the drum circle peeps know how to drum for it, eh? :D
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

I'll pay at the door. Not sure if my wife is coming with me or what. Im doing bridge day the weekend before and I would hate to leave her at home if other friends she likes are going and not caving. I wonder though, will doodlebug be accessable at this time or will it be off limits due to hunting? Thanks.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Sungura wrote:BFBF? and ooh yay squeezebox, i need to find that this year I'm curious! :D I'm probably not that impressive, I'm guessing 8.5 inches is what I can do is all. Damn hipbones refuse to squeeze!

Amy, I've heard from Teresa that the squeeze box competition for women will be based on their bra size... Forgot what she said what it will be judged on for the men...

Chads93GT wrote:I'll pay at the door. Not sure if my wife is coming with me or what. Im doing bridge day the weekend before and I would hate to leave her at home if other friends she likes are going and not caving. I wonder though, will doodlebug be accessable at this time or will it be off limits due to hunting? Thanks.

Chad, come find me in my booth (UnderGroundEarth Photography) on vendors row to talk about Doodlebug...

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 25, 2011 2:01 pm

tncaver wrote:Are there any new caves on the caving list this year Glenn?

As one of the editors for the Georgia Underground and other caving publications I can say that it is always a difficult task to pick caves to go into the guidebooks. There are multiple factors that play in... landowner permission, hunting season, location, etc... We don't want to send a cast of thousands to any one cave in particular. You can also stop by the cave info which is generally located in the SCCI booth on vendors row for information and suggesstions on caves to visit during the event. There is usually someone (Andy Z.) there to help cavers in the mornings and evenings. You can also sign up for led trips here.

Kelly
^V^
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm

rowland7840 wrote:
Sungura wrote:BFBF? and ooh yay squeezebox, i need to find that this year I'm curious! :D I'm probably not that impressive, I'm guessing 8.5 inches is what I can do is all. Damn hipbones refuse to squeeze!

Amy, I've heard from Teresa that the squeeze box competition for women will be based on their bra size... Forgot what she said what it will be judged on for the men...

Chads93GT wrote:I'll pay at the door. Not sure if my wife is coming with me or what. Im doing bridge day the weekend before and I would hate to leave her at home if other friends she likes are going and not caving. I wonder though, will doodlebug be accessable at this time or will it be off limits due to hunting? Thanks.

Chad, come find me in my booth (UnderGroundEarth Photography) on vendors row to talk about Doodlebug...

Kelly
^V^

Awesome! depending on the width of the squeezebox (if I can point my knees outward to open up my hips and make them flatter I can get into tighter spots) I might have a shot then :D

And now i'm curious about Doodlebug too because I keep hearing snippets about people wanting to go there...so something about it must be sweet. Also, the name is freakin' adorable, makes me want to go up and give that cave a big hug! =)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Doodlebug is 390'ish
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Amy, here is a picture of the squeezebox...

and yes Doodlebug is very sweet and it's very near and dear to my heart since I have spent so much time in that cave helping with the re survey. I know it like the back of my hand now, that's the beauty of surveying... It has an entrance pit series that is approx 330 feet deep. It's not just one straight drop. It's a series of drops with ledges and re belays. Once at the bottom there is 7,359 feet of horizontal passage that leads you to the lower entrance called Blowing Cave. It is a through trip but not a good idea to try and do a pull down trip. The overall depth of the cave is 450 feet deep. Jason is currently working on the new map, which will be nearly 8 feet long...! It is not a cave for the inexperienced and requires some serious effort to make a trip there... For a few short years (1957 - 1961) it held the title as the deepest pit in Alabama. I am currently working on an article that details the early exploration and survey of the cave from the first descent in 1957 to present day. I plan to submit it to the NSS News.
Last edited by UnderGroundEarth on Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Amy, here is a picture of the entrance to Doodlebug. It's about 30 or so feet in diameter. It got the name Doodlebug Hole because it resembles on a large scale an ant lion (aka doodlebug) trap...

Here is a picture of the lower entrance, Blowing Cave.

UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Very awesome, thanks Kelly! =)
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Aug 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Remember Aug 31st is the last day to pre-register.

See the website for details http://tagfallcavein.org/registration.asp
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events