Time change should not disturb sleep

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Time change should not disturb sleep

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 1, 2006 9:07 am

Your Body Would Adjust Just Like Living In A Cave
By Jennifer L. Boen
jboen@news-sentinel.com

Don’t lose any sleep Saturday night over the possibility your body clock will be off kilter due to the start of daylight-saving time.

“This time-zone shift is small enough that for most people, it will not have enough effect to notice,â€
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Teresa » Apr 1, 2006 1:58 pm

This is in reference to the fact that Indiana will be joining the daylight saving world like the rest of us for the first time. Also, some time zones in Indiana are being permanently realigned. There was a feature yesterday on NPR on one county which is going to defy their new state law, and not change the clocks.

I don't know--this sounds like a doctor paid to apologize for daylight saving time. My husband grumbles for weeks in November and April how his sleep is messed up when the clocks change...it only bothers me for about 48 hours.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 1, 2006 2:29 pm

Daylight savings? Oh noes! :panic:
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2006 3:33 pm

Teresa wrote:...I don't know--this sounds like a doctor paid to apologize for daylight saving time. My husband grumbles for weeks in November and April how his sleep is messed up when the clocks change...it only bothers me for about 48 hours.

I agree - it does sound like some kind of daylight savings "apology". What's the big deal? :question:

I've lived with daylight saving changes twice a year all my life - except for brief periods of living in Arizona and Hawaii, of course. :wink: I can't recall EVER having "felt" the difference caused by +/- 1-hour of sleep on a Sunday morning. I just assumed it was the same for everyone else - but I guess not? That must suck! Do the same people get "jet lag" when crossing a single time zone too? :?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 1, 2006 4:03 pm

I think age might have something to do with it and also what time you normally wake up. For instance, I get up at 3:30 a.m. (I work an early shift) but it will seem to my body like I am waking up at 2:30 a.m. until it gets adjusted. There's a big difference between 2:30 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. to me. I hate having to change my body clock twice a year.

:eyecrazy:
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby ian mckenzie » Apr 1, 2006 5:00 pm

Who needs clocks if you're retired? :woohoo:
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2006 6:18 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:Who needs clocks if you're retired? :woohoo:

Oh, wait - THAT could be why DST changes don't affect me... :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Lava » Apr 4, 2006 12:27 pm

I love being on Daylight Savings Time. I wish we'd stay on it year-round. I love getting up in the morning to darkness; when I wake up to sunlight I feel like I've already wasted part of the day. I also love having light late into the evening, as opposed to having it get dark around 4:30 and feeling like the day is totally over before you're done with work! That sucks!
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby erebus » Apr 4, 2006 12:39 pm

I'd like having things stay one way or the other; I'd adjust. This seasonal flopping back and forth is idiotic.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Return to Open Talk Forum