LED or Maglite

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mag goes LED

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 27, 2005 8:49 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:http://www.maglite.com/LED_technology.asp

I digg it too. :wink:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby pacaver » Jan 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Has anyone tried this 1 watt Luxeon 6 volt replacement bulb in their Duo (or similar adjustable-focus headlamp)?

http://store.led-replacement.com/ls407.html (These sell for $24.)

I normally use NiMH batteries in my Duo. Although the 8 LED side does me quite happily, before long the halogen is all but useless to me - even for occasional spotting. I figured a bright LED might be more efficient, even with the NiMH voltage down around 5 volts. They do make a 3-cell (~4.5 volt) version of the bulb, but I'd be too scared to use it in case I need to switch to alkalines and blow my expensive little LED away.

I wonder if anyone makes a 3 watt version of this? Either one might make a good almost-in-time-for-Christmas present for myself. I snooped around the candlepower forum looking for info, but couldn't find much.

I picked up the LS407 1 watt LED and stuck it in my Duo and it does seem brighter than the halogen with less artifacts and greater proximity lighting. The focus works as before and you can get a good tight beam, but with enough side spill for walking. It seems like a decent upgrade for the money, with a nicer white light and while I haven’t run down the batteries yet, I’ve gotten 6 hours burn time without any sign of the light fading, as opposed to about 3 hours burn time if I was using the Halogen bulb. My 8 LED array provides a nicer proximity light, but for the $ spent I can’t complain very much. Now all we need is to get Petzl to provide an upgrade with two 3 or 5 watt LED’s with one set for spot, the other for proximity and a voltage regulator. Allow the lights to work together or independently and keep the total price under $100. I’d send my order in today!
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby NZcaver » Jan 11, 2006 10:02 pm

pacaver wrote:I picked up the LS407 1 watt LED and stuck it in my Duo and it does seem brighter than the halogen with less artifacts and greater proximity lighting. The focus works as before and you can get a good tight beam, but with enough side spill for walking. It seems like a decent upgrade for the money, with a nicer white light and while I haven’t run down the batteries yet, I’ve gotten 6 hours burn time without any sign of the light fading, as opposed to about 3 hours burn time if I was using the Halogen bulb. My 8 LED array provides a nicer proximity light, but for the $ spent I can’t complain very much. Now all we need is to get Petzl to provide an upgrade with two 3 or 5 watt LED’s with one set for spot, the other for proximity and a voltage regulator. Allow the lights to work together or independently and keep the total price under $100. I’d send my order in today!

Kevin - great timing! :grin:

I just ordered my LS407 bulb this afternoon. I'll give it a work out in some lava tubes next month, and post my findings...
:banana:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby cave rat » Jan 14, 2006 11:51 pm

I will be buying the StenLight this summer along with a new helmet. I saw one of these lights at TAG last year. $299 may be a little high for a caving light, but it should pay off in the future. Plus, everything mounts on the helmet, so there is no hip battery and cord to worry about.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Re: Luxeon LED replacement for Petzl Duo high beam

Postby NZcaver » Mar 17, 2006 3:47 am

Here's a follow-up on that 1 watt Luxeon bulb that was discussed earlier... (for the Petzl Duo high beam)

http://store.led-replacement.com/ls407.html (These sell for $24 incl shipping.)

Non-scientific results from a few weeks of lava tube caving recently - great! :grin:

With fresh batteries, the side-emitting LED is approximately the same brightness as the halogen bulb it replaced - but with that nice clean white light. And it can still be manually focussed, just like the halogen. But the LED really starts paying for itself once you get some hours of use on the batteries, particularly if you use NiMHs like I do. Although I'm still happy using the 8 LED low beam 95% of the time, it's nice to actually have a usable high beam for spotting when you're 10 hours or more into a cave.

Verdict - 2 thumbs up! :wtg:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby cavemann » Mar 31, 2006 1:32 pm

where do you get the IMO conversions for the mag lites ?
cavemann
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 31, 2006 1:43 pm

cavemann wrote:where do you get the IMO conversions for the mag lites ?

From IMO -- InnerMountain Outfitters http://www.caves.org/imo/
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby erebus » Mar 31, 2006 2:30 pm

I had a big flashlight that I really liked, which I bought at BJ's Wholesale. It was the size of a 4-cell Maglight, machined aluminum, and it had an array of LEDs around the reflector, with a halogen bulb in the center. The pushbutton switch cycled between Off, LEDs on, and halogen on. Sadly, I put the Chinese batteries that came with it in, and they leaked acid all over the inside and ruined the circuitry. Haven't found another one, or I'd buy it.

Don't use those Chinese batteries.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby Steven Johnson » Mar 31, 2006 2:46 pm

NZcaver wrote:Here's a follow-up on that 1 watt Luxeon bulb that was discussed earlier... (for the Petzl Duo high beam)

Hmm.... wonder if they make one that would work in 3-cell systems?

I have an old Petzl Zoom that would greatly benefit from something like this...
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 31, 2006 2:56 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:Hmm.... wonder if they make one that would work in 3-cell systems?

I have an old Petzl Zoom that would greatly benefit from something like this...

Yep, they do - the LS365 http://store.led-replacement.com/ls365.html

They also make a bunch of other retro-fits including a 2-cell version, the LS233 http://store.led-replacement.com/ls233.html

I used to have that old model of Zoom too, but gave it away at a grotto Christmas gift swap. I also have a 3-cell Mega Zoom laying around somewhere. Not bad lights, but they're blown away by some of the latest toys - like the Princeton Tec Apex. That one I REALLY like... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby paoconnell » Apr 22, 2006 12:03 pm

Why not have a MiniMag with LEDs? :kewl:

The local WalMart sells a NiteIze "LED Upgrade" for a MiniMag that replaces the bulb and reflector with an array of three white LEDs and a reflector that fits around them. Only minus point is that you lose the variable beam feature, though you can still use the MiniMag as a tent (or cave) "candle." The upgrade costs $5.00 or so. I'm sure that some of the cave equipment suppliers sell this kit also, and I've seen NiteIze stuff at Fry's out in the far west.

The only trick to the install is that LEDs are diodes , so you might have to remove the array from the flashlight then rotate and re-insert it to get the light to work. Instructions are on the card the adapter comes in.
Take nothing but pictures
Leave nothing but footprints
Kill nothing but vandals
paoconnell
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 13878RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby speloman » Apr 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Yes those NiteIze are great. I have on on my Mini Mag that is mounted on my helemet. Though true you loose your focus it gives off a very exceptional light. I crawled thru a sqeeze and my Main lamp came unpluged when the cord got snagged and I just reached up and turn on my minni mag and it worked GREAT. $5.00 too very good light for the price.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby potholer » Apr 25, 2006 6:55 pm

Running an LED at 3W as a straight bulb replacement in a plastic headset like the Duo might end up with problems getting rid of the heat, and even if that issue was sorted out, it would also either need some variable-power electronics to contol it (which woudln't likely fit in a bulb base), or become a power-guzzler in its own right.
Without fancy electronics, 3W equates to roughly an amp through the LED (*and* an amp drawn from the batteries), which would make the main beam really only useful for brief spotting, giving ~2hours runtime on NiMH AAs.

At a 1W (~1/3Amp) power draw, the main beam would be usable for a sensible amount of time (6hrs+?) as a light to cave on in areas where the 8-LED array isn't at its best, like low contrast uneven floors, where a bright spot can make undulations much more visible.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Apr 25, 2006 11:22 pm

paoconnell wrote:Why not have a MiniMag with LEDs? :kewl:

The local WalMart sells a NiteIze "LED Upgrade" for a MiniMag that replaces the bulb and reflector with an array of three white LEDs and a reflector that fits around them. Only minus point is that you lose the variable beam feature, though you can still use the MiniMag as a tent (or cave) "candle." The upgrade costs $5.00 or so. I'm sure that some of the cave equipment suppliers sell this kit also, and I've seen NiteIze stuff at Fry's out in the far west.

The only trick to the install is that LEDs are diodes , so you might have to remove the array from the flashlight then rotate and re-insert it to get the light to work. Instructions are on the card the adapter comes in.

One of these wound up being my primary light source in Norman Cave in WV when my carbide tip got jammed and I couldn't get the tip out in-cave (Doh!). Norman is a dark cave with lots of water and mud. Passage dimensions average about 20'.

Two of these strapped to your helmet would do a good job in a small to mid sized cave. Granted, you're paying almost double (ten bucks for the minimag and eight for the adapter) and for $40- you can shop around for other lights. But a lot of us already have minimags.

Lastly, they made great grotto grab bag gifts last Christmas!

john
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Hatch » Apr 27, 2006 1:41 pm

hewhocaves wrote: Norman is a dark cave with lots of water and mud. Passage dimensions average about 20'.

So, just out of curiousity, how many caves have you been to that weren't dark? :tonguecheek:

Hatch
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum