Where/how to buy "Joop" Boots?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Where/how to buy "Joop" Boots?

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jul 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Several years ago I bought a pair of these boots. They have served me well but are starting to dry rot and tear in some critical spots and it is time to replace them.

Does anybody know where/how someone can buy them now?
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Re: Where/how to buy "Joop" Boots?

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Mark Joop has apparently become unresponsive to email. Maybe he has changed his address, but I have had no luck getting a response from him lately.

However, you can order the boots directly from France here:

http://www.expe.fr/catalogue-sport/canyoning/chaussures-de-canyoning-mic-canyon-c1_12_300-p1247.html

I got mine in about a week and they shipped them to Utah for $87 including shipping. (as opposed to $70 from Joop) It was worth the $17 to get them quickly and not have to wait for months. The only downside is now I get "REI-like" emails from expe about every two weeks. They might be interesting, and their may be a way to unsubscribe, but I'll never know because it is all in French! :doh:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 28, 2011 5:24 pm

What size? I have a pair that are 45 (I think) that I used once (underwater) and they didn't work so well while diving--plus they were too big.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby LukeM » Jul 29, 2011 8:06 am

I ordered some from Mark back during the end of March using the email cavexplorer@me.com. It's actually only $12 less than ordering from Expe and I'm still waiting to get mine. Definitely expected a wait but I didn't expect 4+ months. :shrug:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 29, 2011 9:06 am

LukeM wrote:I ordered some from Mark back during the end of March using the email cavexplorer@me.com. It's actually only $12 less than ordering from Expe and I'm still waiting to get mine. Definitely expected a wait but I didn't expect 4+ months. :shrug:

Mark is a little notorious for being slow. :tonguecheek:

I checked, mine are definitely size "45."
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 29, 2011 9:21 am

FYI, European size 45 is size 11 in US mens. 12 in US womens.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 29, 2011 9:57 am

Scott McCrea wrote:FYI, European size 45 is size 11 in US mens. 12 in US womens.

Sizes for footware vary greatly. In Dansko sandals, I used to wear 42s. But they changed their models, and I wear 43 in their new styles. For bicycling shoes, I fit 45.5s. I traced my foot and with the thin drysuit footies, it seemed like 45 would be best. But it turns out that they're huge.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Jul 29, 2011 10:14 am

I sent him a check for a new pair two weeks ago and they arrived yesterday.
I would consider that a pretty good turnaround. About as fast as the USPS can go.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby LukeM » Jul 29, 2011 11:37 am

graveleye wrote:I sent him a check for a new pair two weeks ago and they arrived yesterday.
I would consider that a pretty good turnaround. About as fast as the USPS can go.

Were they a size 39? When I was emailing him a while ago that's the only size he said he had on hand. My pair was apparently due to be leaving France not too long ago. I just hope my current boots don't self destruct before I get these new ones.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 29, 2011 11:39 am

graveleye wrote:I sent him a check for a new pair two weeks ago and they arrived yesterday.

I guess I should clarify. I have never waited very long after sending Mark the check. He doesn't ask for money until he actually receives the boots from France. He is then very prompt about shipping them out to cavers.

The long wait happens when you order boots from him right after he has just gotten a shipment. He then waits until he has a full order from other cavers before buying them again. This can literally take months, as Luke mentioned. If you catch him at the right time, the wait is much shorter. It is sort of a gamble. Mark makes no profit, and does all of this as a public service to American cavers. His price is the cheapest you can get for these boots.

I'm just saying that if you need them faster, you can pay a little extra and get them direct from Expe. I still call 'em Joop Boots though!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jul 29, 2011 12:46 pm

by the way, the new boots are different than my old ones, mainly in that the lugs are not near as deep.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I noticed that too, Kevin. I think I liked the old tread better, but it probably won't matter considering how sticky the rubber is. The old tread always got worn down to rounded nubs anyway, but still provided excellent traction.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jul 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks for the current up-to-date contact info for Mark Joop and I am very glad to hear that he is still importing the boots.

For now, I am trying to fix the cracks and tears in the rubber with a seemingly tough black silicone adhesive. Looks like this stuff might be good enough to keep my current pair working for a good while longer. :grin:
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 1, 2011 7:56 am

what are you using to repair them Andrew? That's why I got my new ones because of a big crack right down the side. I wouldn't mind getting a few more miles out of my old ones too.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby YuccaPatrol » Aug 1, 2011 9:28 pm

I am using a black silicone adhesive made by Permatex (it is an old tube I found in the basement and can't remember why I bought it in the first place). The fix looks really good and the material appears to be pretty tough, but I'll report back after I have actually tested it out in the cave. I put it on thick and sloppy to add as much new material to the weak areas as possible.

Another good option (possibly better) would be that shoe-goo stuff. It might be even more tough as it is made to replace actual shoe soles.

Here's what I am using, but remember that it is just something that i happened to already have that seemed to be the right kind of thing to the job

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... lant_b.htm
Last edited by YuccaPatrol on Aug 1, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum