Hello...new ny caver

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello...new ny caver

Postby 2live » Jul 27, 2011 5:43 pm

hello!! my names justin i live in the albany area in upstate newyork ive recently been getting into caving and i find it amazing if i could id do it everyday i would lol :laughing: but obv. that cant happen.... im finding it kind of hard to find other people willing to or that i even feel comfortable bringing into a cave and was hopeing that mayyyyybee i could make a few friends on here meet up with them get taught a few things maybe ....idk im a very adventures person and there isnt to many things i wouldnt try doing specially to see the things you see when your in a cave.... i dont have much exerience like i said but am very willing to learn i dont have a problem with the the cold tight spaces climbing decending getting wet ANYTHING!! i know i should join a grotto but im not sure what one to join...also i really would just like a few people that are into the same thing im into that could teach me a thing or two again im very willing to learn.....eventually id really like to map a cave or multiple.......... i guess i should tell you guys why im 25 and just got into this.. well ive been ill since i was a kid very ill i have crhons ibs cvs kidney stones ulcers and have had to many surgeries to count within the last few years though ive gotten alot better and have been trying to enjoy life ...i remembered in 8th grade we had gone on a field trip to the clarksville cave and i thought yuo know that was the best time i had had in a looooooooooooooooong time why dont i check it out again or another cave in the area ....i didnt think id love them as much as i do when im down there everything else just dissapears its like another world and just the thought that such few peopple get to see what we see when we are down there just adds to how much i love it and always makes me wanna go further ......sooo im writeing all of this in hopes that maybee someone will read this and give me a shout :big grin: pm me or email me im prettty sure you guys get my email if you look at my info im not sure i literally just registered and started typing haha
2live
Infrequent Poster

Name: Justin OConnor
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nada yet

Re: Hello...new ny caver

Postby NZcaver » Jul 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. :waving: We have a bunch of NY cavers around here, so I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Clarksville is a popular beginner cave - it was one of my first in the US. :kewl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Frank_Rac » Jul 28, 2011 9:20 am

Greetings Justin from a downstate NY caver... If you check the NSS site, you'll find the local grottoes upstate then it's just a matter of visting them and seeing where you fit. I'll also clue you in that a lot of downstate cavers are up your way most weekends so you may want to reach out to the downstate grottoes and see if you can hook up with them for a trip.
Frank_Rac
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63061
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Met Grotto

Postby LukeM » Jul 28, 2011 9:59 am

PM sent !
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby nathanroser » Jul 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Woohoo! You would be most welcome to join my comrade cavers and I from Syracuse.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848

Postby 2live » Jul 29, 2011 9:50 am

thank you guys for the info yea lemme know when anybody's planning a trip like i said id love to get out there and get some more experience and some more caves under my belt !!
2live
Infrequent Poster

Name: Justin OConnor
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nada yet

Postby nathanroser » Jul 30, 2011 4:38 pm

The Fall NRO this year is pretty close to Albany this year over in Schoharie County so I highly recommend attending to meet lots of people and get in some caves.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848

Return to Caver Introductions