2011 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 6, 2011 5:13 am

NZcaver wrote:Any hot water available for those who travel with their own tea? :cofee:

You do, too?
:woohoo:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Amazingracer » Jul 6, 2011 8:11 am

At last night's grotto meeting there seemed to be grave concern over the status of I-70 east of Glenwood Springs.
The main fact being that the river had supposed overtaken the west bound lower level interstate and bike path. Thus resulting in long delays and possible closures. People were exploring options to make long detours and avoid this area to get to convention.

Is any of that valid?

I drove I-70 west through CO in mid-June and didnt encounter the above. The bike path was in fact flooded. And the westbound lanes were closed for construction, resulting in two way traffic in the eastbound lanes, but it caused no major delays and the westbound lanes were not underwater.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby mgmills » Jul 6, 2011 8:26 am

Amazingracer wrote:At last night's grotto meeting there seemed to be grave concern over the status of I-70 east of Glenwood Springs.
The main fact being that the river had supposed overtaken the west bound lower level interstate and bike path. Thus resulting in long delays and possible closures. People were exploring options to make long detours and avoid this area to get to convention.

Is any of that valid?

I drove I-70 west through CO in mid-June and didnt encounter the above. The bike path was in fact flooded. And the westbound lanes were closed for construction, resulting in two way traffic in the eastbound lanes, but it caused no major delays and the westbound lanes were not underwater.

http://www.coloradodot.info/news/2011ne ... ect-update

I found this on a google search
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864

Postby Amazingracer » Jul 6, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks Martha. We hit that construction too, it was very minor. You hit Vail Pass an hour/hour and half before Glenwood canyon. On the CDOT map the only issues it shows for I-70 in the mountains is the bike lane closure in Glenwood Canyon and the construction project above.

Maybe some one from the grotto wants I-70 all to themselves lol.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PeterFJohnson » Jul 6, 2011 8:56 am

There is construction in Glenwood Canyon, not just Vail pass, though I can't find it on the CDOT website. The entire eastbound section of highway has been shutdown due to planned construction which was still going on as of a week ago. It is not because the river has flooded over the highway, which would be remarkable. The construction has been going on for at least a couple months. The westbound lanes have been divided and now have traffic in both directions.

However, most people shouldn't see any major slow downs. It isn't a long section of highway and every time I have driven it the disturbance has been minimal. There are a few detours needed for some of the exits in the canyon, but not to get to Glenwood Springs.

The bike path through Glenwood Canyon might be closed. As of a week ago it was flooded over, being much closer to the river.

I will be driving that stretch of I-70 this weekend and will update with any relevant info.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby Amazingracer » Jul 6, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks Peter. I drove through there about 3 weeks ago and encountered the same conditions you mentioned, and it was definitely not worthy of any long detour through the state.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Jul 6, 2011 9:59 am

It is really happening. . . boss finally posted the schedule yesterday and my vacation days are official (had been told no problem but never believe it until they are posted on the schedule board which happens every 4 weeks) . . . Very excited. I've been to Colorado several times and love the area. We have several other points of interest out west (for us here in TN) that we plan to visit on the way to and from the convention.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864

Postby Amazingracer » Jul 6, 2011 10:53 am

I was originally coming out there but a change in jobs is going to leave me strapped for cash. But a strong longing to attend a convention is trying to pull be back in. Hoping maybe I can pull something together and go :-)
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jul 6, 2011 3:16 pm

Damn!!

Is the bike path useable or not? That is something we really wanted to do!!
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 6, 2011 3:18 pm

George Dasher wrote:Damn!!

Is the bike path useable or not? That is something we really wanted to do!!

The bike path is currently underwater. However, there's a 45mile trip along the Rio Grande trail (or something like that) and Canyon Bike does a shuttle so you can go downhill! They rent bikes, too!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby caverdan » Jul 7, 2011 12:34 am

PeterFJohnson wrote:There is construction in Glenwood Canyon, not just Vail pass, though I can't find it on the CDOT website. The entire eastbound section of highway has been shutdown due to planned construction which was still going on as of a week ago. It is not because the river has flooded over the highway, which would be remarkable. The construction has been going on for at least a couple months. The westbound lanes have been divided and now have traffic in both directions.

However, most people shouldn't see any major slow downs. It isn't a long section of highway and every time I have driven it the disturbance has been minimal. There are a few detours needed for some of the exits in the canyon, but not to get to Glenwood Springs.

The bike path through Glenwood Canyon might be closed. As of a week ago it was flooded over, being much closer to the river.

I will be driving that stretch of I-70 this weekend and will update with any relevant info.

I just got back from Glenwood by way of I-70. Glenwood canyon is open with no road construction in either lane. The bike path is underwater in spots and sections have been washed away. Vail pass has construction during the day but right now it is on the East bound side headed toward Denver. The snow is melting off and hopfully the river levels will drop some before the convention, but we are having a record high water year here. The Roaring Fork River next to camp is running over 7,000 csf and has been for weeks. The camp site is starting to come together as I'm leaving this Friday to start the building process. We are at zero hour. After tomorrow I will be computerless till after convention. Ya'll have a safe drive out and don't worry about your ride through the mountains on I-70. I ran 75 almost the whole way home. :yikes:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby George Dasher » Jul 7, 2011 8:21 am

Are you certain I-70 in the canyon is open?

According to these news stories, both I-70 and the bike trail are closed in Glenwood Canyon--and not for a short period of time either.

I-70: http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-rockslide ... 3888.story

The bike trail: http://www.aspentimes.com/ARTICLE/20110 ... 5/1058/RSS

We're arriving by train; there is no word on the tracks.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby John Lovaas » Jul 7, 2011 8:44 am

George-

Date on the I-70 article is March 9, 2010.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jul 7, 2011 8:59 am

Crap!

Sorry! I missed that!!

I guess I thought one castastrophe (the bike trail) deserved another (I-70)!

I need to go back to using Facebook, where chrontic stupidity is less obvious.

:doh:
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Jul 7, 2011 9:03 am

George,
I've driven it 4 times in the last two weeks. The road is open.....both lanes...both directions. The hole in the road was fixed last spring. They did a bunch of work in the canyon that took longer than expected so a couple of weeks ago the canyon was necked down to one lane for many miles. They finished before the 4th of July. Watch out for cops and drive the posted speed limits or your delay will be self inflicted. The river is still well below the train tracks and I see trains on every trip.

It looks like you can ride quite a ways into the canyon from the Glenwood side before you run out of bike path. Much of the East end of the path in the canyon is gone or under water. Hope this helps ease your mind about the road to convention.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events