Dam on Doe Creek near Blue Springs Cave, TN?

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dam on Doe Creek near Blue Springs Cave, TN?

Postby tncaver » Jul 2, 2011 7:57 am

Leave it to Americans to figure out a way to make money on a project that actually uses more energy than it creates.
This is another example of American financial ingenuity. If these guys were really smart, they would build huge ram
pumps along the downward flow route of the water storage facility with hydro generators spaced along the way.
They could pump water back up to the top storage facility for free, using gravity while the downward flow could
turn power turbines. Multiple ram pumps along the flow route would pump a portion of the water back up to the
reservoir while generators could make electricity as it flowed back down the flues inside the mountain. Electric
pumps could be used for back up if needed.

Energy created could be pumped into the power grid around the clock. Other than cost to build and cost of
general maintenance, power could be generated continuously and profits could be made by using free gravity
and selling the electricity.

Ram pumps are an old reliable technology and they work amazingly well. They can be built to any size. It amazes me
how this old technology is still so much better than much of today's modern technology yet it is ignored. I have seen
two ram pumps used for pumping water up hill for drinking purposes and they are capable of pumping a long distance
against gravity while using gravity to provide the energy to pump the water uphill. No electricity is required.

Google 'gravity water pump' or "hydraulic ram pump" to learn more about this old yet amazing technology.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Jul 4, 2011 12:28 am

According to the newspaper the lower reservoir in Doe Creek will be 150 acres with a 150' high and 1300' wide dam. An online converter said 150 acres is little less than 1/4 sq. mile.

Looking at the topo, it appears that a possible location would be in Doe Creek just above the junction with Twin Branch. There is a high water swallet cave a little ways past the junction that might be inundated affecting the cave.

Also, an underground powerhouse, a 30' diameter 1300' long tailrace tunnel (going downstream from the dam?) and a 24' diameter 1500 foot long access tunnel!

Holey Crap!!

They admit in the article that the project will take several years to develop and may not be viable. They say they will be conducting public outreach but no specifics were given. We need to be vigilant for whatever is done.

I did a search for Free Flow Power Corp to ask them if they were aware of the cave and only got a server not found message.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jul 6, 2011 8:57 pm

This is a classic Boondoggle. It will generate lots and lots of money for the people who design it and build it, destroy beautiful landscapes in the process, and have little chance of working.

But, who cares ??? Think of all the MONEY they will make !!!

In all seriousness, doing this in a karst area is just stupid. It works at Raccon Mountain, because the "bottom reservoir" is the Tennessee River. It won't work in these karst coves.

And, I hate to think what all that blasting will do to Blue Spring Cave.

Larry E. Matthews
Professional Geologist
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby boreholio » Jul 6, 2011 10:41 pm

I spoke by phone today with Jim Hankis at Free Flow Power, the company with the proposal. He said they were not aware of the cave, had not done any preliminary environmental, geological studies yet and that the project was just in the earliest proposal stage. I explained the geology briefly to him and that the entire western plateau escarpment was essentially the same. He confirmed that it is a pumped storage plan.

He said they planned to hold public meetings before proceeding on anything and would want to hear anything relevant. I suggested they get the Blue Spring Book for more info and save themselves a lot of money before they get too far along.

He was cordial and we exchanged contact information.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby boogercaver71 » Jul 7, 2011 11:24 pm

boreholio wrote:I spoke by phone today with Jim Hankis at Free Flow Power, the company with the proposal. He said they were not aware of the cave, had not done any preliminary environmental, geological studies yet and that the project was just in the earliest proposal stage. I explained the geology briefly to him and that the entire western plateau escarpment was essentially the same. He confirmed that it is a pumped storage plan.

He said they planned to hold public meetings before proceeding on anything and would want to hear anything relevant. I suggested they get the Blue Spring Book for more info and save themselves a lot of money before they get too far along.

He was cordial and we exchanged contact information.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, good job
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum