Signs you've been doing your job too long...

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Signs you've been doing your job too long...

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Add your own stories here!

My sign that I am indeed a lab rat...looking at my contact lens boxes that they come in, I see they are manufactured by Ciba Vision. I dig at them a bit more detail (they are the monthly wear lenses) and I realize..

*drumroll*

These are the same lenses that two years ago I did the research on. That's right! The lab I worked in had a contract with Ciba Vision doing testing on their lenses as it was a cornea/inflammatory/disease lab. When I was in that lab, I was on the Ciba Vision project. Aka these contact lenses. So uh...I happen to know *exactly* what will go on with my corneas with prolonged wear. I think I have the original data around here in my files somewhere, unless that was one I had to leave all the project with the lab (some places are like that, others don't mind if you keep copies of your work). Anyway...yeah. I know I can wear them for at least two weeks without ever taking them out or washing them or anything, and then the only thing that will start going up is IL1β, a pro-inflammatory cytokine. But that was the only one I remember seeing any statistical significant increase in, all the way out to a month. And of course, taking them out at night and washing them and stuff makes even that not happen. Which is why the instructions say to do so, I'm sure. But I know the truth - I am fine for at least 2 weeks if I'm really that lazy and my eyes aren't bothered.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Signs you've been doing your job too long...

Postby batrotter » Jun 21, 2011 4:09 am

Are you bored, Amy?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 21, 2011 10:45 am

Bored? No, why do you ask? I just was amused! Thought I'd make a thread and find other's stories of such things! I mean, can't only happen to me, right?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » Jun 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Sungura wrote:Bored? No, why do you ask?

It just seemed to be an off the wall topic and the title about having been doing your job too long! Carry on!
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Well I've worked for both the Feds and the State.....

In the Federal government you make twice the private sector wage and spend 80% of your time pushing paper supposedly designed to increase your efficiency. Since nobody is efficient when they can only do actual work 20% of their day, your bosses decide to hire 5% more people and add 10% more paperwork to fix the problem. To comply with the paperwork reduction act, a form that requires 8 hours to fill out is listed as requiring 10 minutes.

In the State government you make half the private sector wage, must cut 5% of your budget each year, and spend 80% of your time responding to members of the public who are convinced they can do your job better, but in reality haven't a clue about either your job or anything else relating to practical applications in a real world. Some of those people get elected to public office.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 21, 2011 6:05 pm

batrotter wrote:Are you bored, Amy?

:rofl: (I was thinking the same thing, but held my tongue. No offense, Amy.) :waving:

batrotter wrote:It just seemed to be an off the wall topic and the title about having been doing your job too long! Carry on!

Perhaps we should change the name of the Open Talk forum to the Off The Wall forum? :tonguecheek: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 21, 2011 7:36 pm

NZcaver wrote:
batrotter wrote:Are you bored, Amy?

:rofl: (I was thinking the same thing, but held my tongue. No offense, Amy.) :waving:
LOL more like I was amused at that I had done research on the very lenses I was wearing, figured others must have similar experiences and I wanted to hear about it!

And maybe I was a little bored...after all there are no caves around here, what is a girl to do??? :shrug:
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Oh the stories I could tell............if I actually liked talking about work.............which I don't........... :shhh:
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Sungura wrote:And maybe I was a little bored...after all there are no caves around here, what is a girl to do??? :shrug:

Speaking of no caves and resulting boredom...

I was up in Denali National Park last week, playing tour guide for a couple of visiting Arizona cavers. In the evening, park staff and other volunteers walk the sled dogs along the park road for exercise. As we're driving past, I catch a glimpse of what looks likes an NSS bat sticker logo on the back of a girl's T-shirt. Surely not? So we do a U-turn, and sure enough it was a caver. After exchanging "nice T-shirt" pleasantries, it turns out she's from Illinois and is a seasonal park employee at Denali. Relying on the cavers one-degree-of-separation theory, we quickly found we had mutual caver friends. Small world!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Sungura wrote:And maybe I was a little bored...after all there are no caves around here, what is a girl to do??? :shrug:

Speaking of no caves and resulting boredom...

I was up in Denali National Park last week, playing tour guide for a couple of visiting Arizona cavers. In the evening, park staff and other volunteers walk the sled dogs along the park road for exercise. As we're driving past, I catch a glimpse of what looks likes an NSS bat sticker logo on the back of a girl's T-shirt. Surely not? So we do a U-turn, and sure enough it was a caver. After exchanging "nice T-shirt" pleasantries, it turns out she's from Illinois and is a seasonal park employee at Denali. Relying on the cavers one-degree-of-separation theory, we quickly found we had mutual caver friends. Small world!

Funny you mention that. Thats my best friends wife. 99% of my caving and surveying the worst hell crawls that missouri has to offer is done with her husband. If you see her again, her name is Erin, but maybe she already told you that ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jun 21, 2011 9:25 pm

I work for the government but not the Feds or a state, the county I live in is full of rich people and has an annual budget of about 4.3 billion dollars so we have stuff like county operated pools with staff on county payroll. I am a lifeguard at one of said pools and it pays quite well compared to other part time jobs high school and college students tend to work around here. It's my 3rd year guarding and I had a very strange dream last night. I'm sitting in the chair watching the pool when this kid dives into the shallow end. But instead of hitting the bottom he somehow loops back around underwater and slams his head into the wall hard enough to knock himself out. Seeing this I blow my whistle to signal I am going to rescue him and get in the water. I then grab him with a head chin splint technique to hold him steady while the other guards get the backboard so we can get him out of the water without moving him too much and potentially causing worse injuries to his spine or neck. We position him on the board and start strapping him on when all of a sudden he wakes up, kicks and screams and fights us off and then gets out the pool and runs away. Then I'm like oh crap because he just ran away and we already had called 911 (in the dream of course) and we can't get him to hold still until the paramedics arrive to make a better assessment. And of course my boss was also rather unhappy because we're supposed to fill out an accident report for this kind of stuff but we can't since the victim has just runnoft. And lastly we're all scared because we'd be in deep doo doo with the big bosses of the county department I work for, one of whom is a very scary lady. My mind being crazy I never realize this all isn't real until I wake up. Luckily I went to work today and nothing of the sort happened, though my best friend got a good laugh out of the whole story.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Jun 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Funny you mention that. Thats my best friends wife. 99% of my caving and surveying the worst hell crawls that missouri has to offer is done with her husband. If you see her again, her name is Erin, but maybe she already told you that ;)

Yep that's her, with little Egypt Grotto. We're now Facebook friends! (How did cavers ever survive in the old days without Facebook and forums?) :shhh:

Which reminds me - I promised to send her info on Alaska caving. Better take care of that now, before I forget again. :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Chads93GT » Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:Funny you mention that. Thats my best friends wife. 99% of my caving and surveying the worst hell crawls that missouri has to offer is done with her husband. If you see her again, her name is Erin, but maybe she already told you that ;)

Yep that's her, with little Egypt Grotto. We're now Facebook friends! (How did cavers ever survive in the old days without Facebook and forums?) :shhh:

Which reminds me - I promised to send her info on Alaska caving. Better take care of that now, before I forget again. :doh:

hehe, the one in the same. small world.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum