What light to get?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

What light to get?

Postby cavemud2 » May 27, 2011 2:57 pm

I am looking at getting a new light at a decent price. I think i have decided on 2 lights. The Princeton Tec APEX 200 lumen model or the Fenix hp10. Any suggestions?
Randy Gandy Club 2011 :bat sticker:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62,925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Parkersburg Area Grotto

Re: What light to get?

Postby rlboyce » May 27, 2011 6:23 pm

You'll have to give us more info than that. What's your ideal battery type? Battery pack? Max output? Max range? All flood? All spot? Adjustable beam? Max weight? Max price? Waterproofness? Runtime? Warranty? Durability?
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Chads93GT » May 29, 2011 8:03 am

hp10 < any apex.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 29, 2011 8:04 am

Chads93GT wrote:hp10 < any apex.

and there are threads comparing the reasons why if you search ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby snoboy » May 30, 2011 8:06 am

Chads93GT wrote:hp10 < any apex.

Until your Apex is broken, again, which in my experience is pretty much guaranteed! I didn't even take them caving.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby rlboyce » May 30, 2011 10:48 am

I definitely wouldn't say "guaranteed." I've thoroughly abused my Apex as a primary for over a year now, with countless impacts against passage walls, occasional drenching and just general mistreatment with a "I don't give a crap" attitude, but despite this my Apex still functions the same as when I first got it and still manages to impress those unacquainted with the high-end caving lights. Hell, I've purposely been uncaring towards the light so that it might break and I'd have a reason to send it in and maybe get a new light out of it, but the damn thing refuses to break on me. On top of this, I hear they've improved upon the previous model and the 200 lumen model has a stronger hinge now, a feature of the light that has been a big complaint from others in the past. The Apex has its faults, but for me it has stood up to the cave environment admirably and proven itself worthy to be on my helmet. Maybe I just got one of the good ones though?
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » May 31, 2011 9:42 am

Do you do very much wet caving? In my experience that is the Apex's Kryptonite. Both of the cheaper Princeton Tec's that I have considerable experience with - the Eos and the Quad - are far better at keeping water out which is kind of sad considering the price point of the Apex.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby rlboyce » May 31, 2011 10:29 am

LukeM wrote:Do you do very much wet caving? In my experience that is the Apex's Kryptonite. Both of the cheaper Princeton Tec's that I have considerable experience with - the Eos and the Quad - are far better at keeping water out which is kind of sad considering the price point of the Apex.

No, and I agree that is something to be pointed out. This light is in no way suitable for any kind of submersion unmodded. The occasional rainstorm, splashing or dripping my light encounters from the ceiling or crawling through pools hasn't seemed to be an issue so far, but I would never think of going under a sump with one or passing underneath even a small waterfall. So yes, if you are looking for a light you are not afraid to get completely wet and to let it stay wet, I would definitely not recommend the Apex.
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavemud2 » May 31, 2011 10:30 am

No i dont really do anything that wet, other than maybe passing under a quick waterfall or what not. Im just looking for something cheap,dependable,and with a good light output.
Randy Gandy Club 2011 :bat sticker:
cavemud2
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62,925
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Parkersburg Area Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » May 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Oddly enough, it was my Corona that I had to send back because after drenching it in the UK with various waterfalls and a fall into the double pots (hahaha). I have since purchased an Apex as well (200 lumen model, whichever one I got from someone here who was selling it in...December? January? can't recall) anyway the Apex has been now into waterfalls and jazz without troubles. I didn't even do the waterproof mod to it. My Apex definitely impresses many I cave with who are on old lights or halogens? (they don't seem like LED's) I've even caved with someone who still uses carbide 0.o especially when they are trying to look across a room or up a dome or something, and I jump my widdle Apex up to the spot hehehehe. I use it to lightpaint with too when I take photos.

The nice thing about PT too is lifetime warranty. They didn't give me any troubles, I had my new Corona in a week. I need flood to travel by so I worry about the HP10 on that matter. Now I'm just looking to find an old duo I can mod. :D
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » May 31, 2011 12:49 pm

cavemud2 wrote: Im just looking for something cheap,dependable,and with a good light output.

Pick two of those.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 31, 2011 10:26 pm

sorry i mean hp10 > apex, lol. i do a lot of wet caving though so the apex wont cut it.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 1, 2011 4:09 am

Chads93GT wrote:sorry i mean hp10 > apex, lol. i do a lot of wet caving though so the apex wont cut it.

The HP10 is fine when you only need a head mounted spot beam. But moving through caves, I find the Apex flood provides a far more usable light pattern than the HP10. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby LukeM » Jun 1, 2011 7:44 am

Bomb proof, good beam shape, and cheap. Pick two. :tonguecheek:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby caveflower » Jun 1, 2011 7:49 am

Ok Apex or HP10. I'm on my 4th Apex broke, drowned or just stop working. Good point they always send me a new one without any complaint. I have the new 200 lm one now. We do a lot wet caving in the Binkley system all wet low crawls, big wet borehole with lots of water, muddy ruff caving. They just don't hold up long and the kind of caving we do you need something reliable.

Just got a HP10 I wasn't sure if I would like just having the spot and no flood. Now that I have used it that doesn't seem to be a problem. The light has enough spill from the spot that it gives plenty of light at your feet to cave by. The batteries seem to last longer in it, 7 hours on half charged enloops on high. Did a 200' tight bathtub with about 4'' airspace and dunked the light for a long time with lots a mud. Didn't miss a beat. Got mine on ebay for 53.99 w/free shipping. If it holds up I think it will be a great light, plus its as bright as a Sten light if not brighter. I don't like the light color on a Sten its to yellowish. Buttons are easy to use I like the one on and off with the other changes the brightness.
My new main light for sure. :cavingrocks:
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Next

Return to Equipment Forum