Some Photos of Philippine Caves

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Some Photos of Philippine Caves

Postby pub » May 24, 2011 11:05 pm

@ Sungua, thanks, I too like the 2nd better nevertheless the 1st has depth, detail and is more realistic; the mist was quite thick and reach well into the twilight zone.

@ Ernie, talk about a small world, I just found out Glen also went to Humboldt State U.

Here are more Phil. photos:

The iconic Ice Cream Cone formation (during the dry and wet season) of the Cacupangan Cave System, Mabini, Pangasinan:

The Ice Cream Cone Room:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Jerry, those are pretty cool pictures. I especially like the one where the water is falling on the mite. :clap: That is a surprise about Glen attending Humboldt. Small world like they say. :woohoo:
How's Bagio these days? They still have the headhunters up there? :yikes: :off topic: I still have memories of that area. :cave softly:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » May 25, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks Ernie. That photo was taken as I was exiting the cave because of the thunderstorm that was brewing above ground, btw, thunder resonates quite nicely in the cave. I HAD to stop to shoot it! :woohoo:

Yep, Glen was Class of '85 (according to his FB) and I was Class of 194gotten! :tonguecheek:

Wow, when were you in Baguio? I hear there is less head taking because there are less tribal wars but there might be a rare head taking or two during family feuds. When are you coming back? :big grin:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby jingvelos » May 25, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks Pub....Nice Pix (2nd one with HDR)

Posting cave photos of Sohuton and Rawis Cave in Samar, Leyte

jingvelos
Infrequent Poster

Postby jingvelos » May 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Marahan Cave, Davao, Southern Philippines

Please follow the link:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
jingvelos
Infrequent Poster

Postby jingvelos » May 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Marahan Cave, Davao

jingvelos
Infrequent Poster

Postby jingvelos » May 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Lake Sebu, South Cotabato

OUr recent Cave Assessment in Lake Sebu, South Cotabato....Here we conducted lectures and Awareness campaign on the importance of cave and bats in our environment
jingvelos
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 26, 2011 6:31 pm

More nice and interesting pictures, Jerry. :kewl: Thanks for sharing! I especially liked the white jobbies, since they reminded me of my teeth, which were being worked on this a.m. :rofl:

As for your questions, I'll see what you have to say by
Thanks Ernie. That photo was taken as I was exiting the cave because of the thunderstorm that was brewing above ground, btw, thunder resonates quite nicely in the cave. I HAD to stop to shoot it!

Yep, Glen was Class of '85 (according to his FB) and I was Class of 194gotten!

Wow, when were you in Baguio? I hear there is less head taking because there are less tribal wars but there might be a rare head taking or two during family feuds. When are you coming back?

Oh, yeah! You indicated about the thunderstorm and problems within the cave. Guess you've heard of the group that was in Church Cave in Kings Canyon when the earthquake hit; thus, it made a lot of thundering noise, also, especially in the sandy passage that goes from one side to the other. :yikes:

Hot damn! Haven't seen Glen for a long time. Guess he's still down in San Andreas. Haven't heard much of what's going on around there these days, 'cept over at Cave City Cave.

'Twas a long time ago, being in Baguio. Have a story that would definitely be :off topic: so won't go there. Maybe a private message. :tonguecheek: Had to chuckle about your comment of "head taking because there are less tribal wars..." :wink: Was that written with tongue in cheek.

Go cavin' guy, go cavin!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » May 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Ernie wrote:More nice and interesting pictures, Jerry. Thanks for sharing! I especially liked the white jobbies, since they reminded me of my teeth, which were being worked on this a.m.
Can’t take credit for the molar shots, they were taken by Jing. Great shots Jing!

Ernie wrote:Guess you've heard of the group that was in Church Cave in Kings Canyon when the earthquake hit; thus, it made a lot of thundering noise, also…
Nope, but this is what I found with a websearch:

Arnfried Becker et al. wrote:In some cases speleologists heard unusual noises: (1) a “thunderbolt” in the Buddha cave, Grand Canyon, during the M 5.2 Flagstaff earthquake, Arizona, in 1952, and (2) the same sound in a cave in Papua New Guinea during a M 5.1 earthquake (Audra, 1999). (3) a noise similar to a “Boing 747 jet engine” in the Church cave, Kings Canyon National Park, Sierra Nevada, during M 5.5 earthquake in 1974, and (4) a “howling as from a wounded animal” in the Frasassi cave in Umbria, Italy, during the M 5.6 Assisi earthquake of 26th September, 1997. Most frightening was probably the experience of a caver who was trying to pass through a narrow shaft in the Churchill cave (USA) in autumn 1974 when the cave was struck by an M 5 earthquake. The caver felt something like a “vibro-massage”.
Source: Speleoseismology: A critical perspective
Every time I signs of seismic actively in-cave the thought of, “What if it happens now?” enter my mind. :yikes:

Yep, the grapevine has him still in Calaveras County…

I’d like to hear more of your adventures here… and no tongue-in-cheek about the tribal wars.

Here’s a couple more Pinoy photo...

Philippine Cobra:

Tailless Whip Spider Mom:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » Jun 10, 2011 8:20 pm

LarsT wrote:…then you post a picture of a cobra and a scary looking spider and now I'm not too sure about caving there.
As anywhere in the world, there are caves here that will suit your comfort level, from the easy show caves, mild horizontals, to extreme wild caves and many virgin caves.

Personally, I’m attracted to biologically healthy caves, which means there are the top predators (like is my last post) supported by a well established food pyramid. BTW, you can see more from our pyramid at our newly created Cave biota album (still a lot more to add).

Thanks for your post and I hope you do consider visiting us, we can tailor the caving trips around your comfort level! :waving:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum