Member input needed for FAQ forum

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Member input needed for FAQ forum

Postby David Grimes » May 12, 2011 7:20 pm

We are going to be putting together a Frequently Asked Questions forum here where members can find tutorials on common forum features like changing username, password, etc. We are also going to include other topics frequently asked about by new cavers. We think this will save people a lot of trouble looking through thousands of pages of old posts for an answer that might be very simple.

Some topics might be things like lighting, helmets, vertical gear, vertical setups, and many more. We are seeking any volunteers to write some of these articles. Cavechat has a lot of highly experienced cavers who are masters of their area of caving knowledge and new cavers could really benefit from this information.

Visitors to our forum will be able to find these articles and learn from them. Many visitors do not like to ask simple questions for fear of asking a stupid question. This could be a valuable resource that could help keep new cavers safe.

All of the articles would be submitted and reviewed to make sure the information is valid and would not put someone in jeopardy.

If you would like to write some tutorials or even make video tutorials (which could be good for things like knots) or if you have ideals for things we should include in the FAQ forum please let me know. You can post your ideals here or send them personally to me in a PM. We also need someone who could write a good disclaimer for the forum since it will be offering advice on potentially dangerous activities.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: Member input needed for FAQ forum

Postby botkin02 » May 12, 2011 7:57 pm

For some reason I had a really hard time setting up my avatar when I first got started. Maybe some quick instructions on how to do it better?
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Name: Bo Lancaster
NSS #: 62989

Postby wyandottecaver » May 12, 2011 8:03 pm

*DISCLAIMER*

The opinions, viewpoints, advice, answers, and posts on this forum are completely and solely the work of the individual authors, and are provided to present a range of potential responses to a variety of real or imagined situations. They are intended solely for the consideration and enjoyment of readers and do not necessarily represent the views, opinions, or recommendations of the NSS and it's affiliates. Since individual circumstances and natural environments vary widely, no particular response, recommendation or technique should be considered to represent industry Best Practices or the appropriate response for your particular situation.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » May 12, 2011 8:09 pm

FAQ

"I saw some rope at my local hardware store that looked just like the caving rope my buddy has. It was only .12c a foot. is this a good deal?"

NO

"while in Mexico I saw some caving rope made in Poland for sale. Should I buy it?"

NO

:funny post:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 12, 2011 9:57 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:*DISCLAIMER* ...

:exactly: Thank you for your contribution. David and I already discussed the need for disclaimers, and that fits the bill nicely. :shhh:

We already have a few of these how-to topics on the forum, but even the best information tends to quickly get buried in all the chaff. Besides the Read Me First and forum TOS announcements, we have a generic forum FAQ page, the want to find a cave page (courtesy of former forum regular Big Alpha), and various IT-related informational topics, some of which are now obsolete.

I was thinking of broadening our scope to include locked (non-discussion) topics with well-presented information on vertical caving systems, equipment, lighting, techniques, etc etc. Despite these specific info topics being locked, forum members will still be encouraged to post questions and suggestions in the forum and I imagine many info posts will be periodically updated and modified.

When time permits, I'll look at harvesting pieces from some particularly useful posts and trialling this concept. Members will be credited (by user name) for their contributions, and suggestions and critique will be welcomed.

Aside from an avatar guide, any more suggestions?

[And I mean serious suggestions, not "Mommy, why are cavers spreading White Nose Syndrome?"] :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » May 13, 2011 2:38 pm

One thing on a huge forum I'm on (xkcd forums) they have stickied at the top of certain sections the main pertinant threads. Like...in the LSR section (love/sex/relationships) there are links to the threads like...breakup thread (because yours isn't special), so cute you will vomit candy (for sweet happy stories), thread for the in-sex-perienced, etc. The common ones people might want to find, ya know?

So taking that for here...if we have a FAQ thread, maybe just link to the best headlamp thread, or comparison headlamp thread, or the whine about kneepads thread, or whatever thread. Like that, instead of copy/pasting info. Keeps the FAQ shorter and easier to sift through, and allows the viewing of the entire discussion pros and cons all.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » May 13, 2011 4:32 pm

I was planning something along those lines. We plan to have sub-forums under the FAQ forum that will be for specific topics like gear, technique, etc. These specific sub-forums will probably be linked from relevant forums as wells as in a global announcement that would take users to the FAQ thread they wish to view with a couple clicks.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby NZcaver » May 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Sungura wrote:...if we have a FAQ thread, maybe just link to the best headlamp thread, or comparison headlamp thread, or the whine about kneepads thread, or whatever thread. Like that, instead of copy/pasting info. Keeps the FAQ shorter and easier to sift through, and allows the viewing of the entire discussion pros and cons all.

I was wondering about a 3-tiered approach. One announcement page with a list of FAQs containing short answers and links. Links lead to a single locked comprehensive post (with collaborative input) specifically so the viewer DOESN'T need to read through a hundred posts of chatter, BS and off-topic discussion just to get the good info they need. Finally a link from the locked topic to various discussions so they can then choose to read everything (and participate in discussion) if they want to.

Or perhaps I'm over-thinking this a little. :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby LWMM » May 13, 2011 5:59 pm

How about a list of commonly used acronyms and abbreviations? TAG, QAS, etc. Took me ages to find out the meaning of the latter.
LWMM
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63001

Postby NZcaver » May 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Good idea! Duly noted. :cavechat:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » May 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Maybe terms too. I mean...we just write 'biner all the time for carabiner. That one took me the longest of any to figure out even though it seems obvious, haha.

Probably something too about equipment for caving safely, the basics. Don't have to spend $100+ on coveralls, but make sure to not wear cotton, type stuff.

You mentioned looking for articles, for one I'd recommend asking if you can use Marduke's battery article.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » May 15, 2011 7:10 pm

LWMM wrote:How about a list of commonly used acronyms and abbreviations? TAG, QAS, etc. Took me ages to find out the meaning of the latter.
Great suggestion LWMM!

I started a thread to begin a list at: Acronyms and abbreviations for FAQ forum

Please add your favs to the list... :waving:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Return to Please Read