2011 Sera Cave Carnival

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2011 Sera Cave Carnival

Postby self-deleted_user » May 3, 2011 8:24 pm

Cavemud wrote:
cavergirl wrote:a friday night Drum circle is planned for later that night!

:nuts: Here come the DEADheads! :laughing:
Oooh i am working on getting a pandeiro and a berimbau can i join? I can't play an atabaqe yet.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » May 4, 2011 5:25 am

Sungura wrote:
Cavemud wrote:
cavergirl wrote:a friday night Drum circle is planned for later that night!

:nuts: Here come the DEADheads! :laughing:
Oooh i am working on getting a pandeiro and a berimbau can i join? I can't play an atabaqe yet.

Just shows that different folks like different things. To me late night drum circles are a reason to not attend caving events. . . . some don't like dogs, some don't like kids. . . I don't like drums.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby ron_miller » May 4, 2011 10:28 am

mgmills wrote:Just shows that different folks like different things. To me late night drum circles are a reason to not attend caving events. . . . some don't like dogs, some don't like kids. . . I don't like drums.

. . . But only dogs routinely get banned from even attending.

Sounds pretty dog-hostile to me.
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » May 4, 2011 10:48 am

Okay this settles it. I will fashion some dog ears on a headband to wear and bark at people. That make ya'all happy? hahaha I don't do good dog barks though, I sound like an annoying yappy dog. You are forewarned!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » May 4, 2011 10:56 am

This is why I always camp in the quiet area at the cave-in.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby cavergirl » May 4, 2011 11:33 am

Only 18 days left to get the $5.00 discount with preregistration! The preregistration form is posted on the SERA website
http://www.caves.org/region/sera/CaveCarn.htm
Preregistration must be postmarked May 21, 2011 or before, for discount
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby cavergirl » May 4, 2011 12:03 pm

Just to set things straight on the dogs, It was a landowner request, not a SERA committee decision. Landowners have rights. The campground is small, there are neighbors on all sides. Some have horses. Caver's dogs chasing neighbor's horses= bad neighbor relations. Caver's dogs chasing neighbor's cats or dogs= bad neighbor relations. Caver's dogs barking all night= bad neighbor relations. It's too bad that good dog owners have to pay for the bad, but too many cavers are out caving or busy partying and NOT watching their dogs. I have to work the event, and I am paying $100.00 in pet sitting fees myself.
Chrys Hulbert
2011 SERA Vendor Chair
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » May 4, 2011 8:59 pm

ron_miller wrote:
mgmills wrote:Just shows that different folks like different things. To me late night drum circles are a reason to not attend caving events. . . . some don't like dogs, some don't like kids. . . I don't like drums.

. . . But only dogs routinely get banned from even attending.

Sounds pretty dog-hostile to me.

Ron - I'd say about half the SERA's I've attended have allowed dogs. I have been attending the CAVE-IN since 1994 and dogs have never been allowed there as long as I have been attending. If dogs are allowed I usually take mine but truthfully I always have more fun when I don't have to deal with the dogs.

In the quote above I should have added a smiley. I really would not chose to stay home from an event just because of drums but I do appreciate it when the drumming stops around 1 am or so. I can sleep through a lot of noise using ear plugs but even ear plugs don't help me drown out the drumming.

I won't be attending this year's SERA because it is my weekend to work and I go to bed at 9 pm when I have to work. I am a neighbor of the site hosting the event. I just hope my home is sound proof enough to drown out the drumming on Friday night since I have to get up before 5 am to go to work.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby cavergirl » May 9, 2011 11:18 am

The next work weekend will be this coming weekend, May 14,15. Much, much more clearing to do. Come help, you can clear and claim your own campsite for the event.
Hot tub and sauna up and running! :clap:
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caver Events