Bridge Day 2011

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Bridge Day 2011

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 7, 2011 12:06 pm

So um...I in no way want to *do* it :rofl: but it looks so pretty! I have no clue how teams and whatnot work though, is it possible to just go and watch? Maybe hike down to the bottom and back up or something? And just walk out on the catwalk or whatever it is under the bridge just to see the view? I mean just walking out under the bridge is scary enough for me, I'm good with that but I bet some pretty sweeeeeeeeet photos I could get from there! I'd just want to go and watch and take pictures but actually be able to get closer to things and not have to stay where public has to stay (I assume there are barricades and such to keep folks who shouldn't be there away?).
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Bridge Day 2011

Postby nathanroser » Apr 7, 2011 3:10 pm

You'd definitely be able to go watch, some people I know in Syracuse drove all the way down there for a weekend to go see bridge day. Though I'm pretty sure in order to be allowed and properly qualified to jump you need to have done a lot of skydives and a lot of BASE jumps.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 7, 2011 3:22 pm

:laughing:

I'm not talking about actually doing it, and if I was talking about actually doing it, not BASE or skydiving or whatever, rappelling, sillygoose! I know cavers who go there to rappel off the bridge :tonguecheek: (And fyi they do have a public "highwire" thinging that basically from what I can tell is like a 300ft zipline that anyone can do, I saw that on their site)

If I went though I'd actually like to you know...get to go out on the bridge, and hike down to the bottom to take photos looking upwards...and all that. This is what I'm not sure how to do. I certainly wouldn't want to rappel that...I definitely don't have the training or experience or even proper gear for that. Also, sorry, heights suck. I have no desire to rappel that myself.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Apr 7, 2011 4:11 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part, an 800 foot open air rappel would be pretty sweet, or a 250 footer if you further away from the center of the bridge.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Marduke » Apr 7, 2011 4:32 pm

The top of the bridge is open to the public, and anyone can hike down to the bottom and be where the rappelers and base jumpers land, but you absolutely cannot be on the catwalk without a pass (and included background check).

If you really are interested, let me know and we can talk about getting you on my team as a belayer (earn your keep!!).
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 7, 2011 4:39 pm

Seriously?! I sent a PM
:bananabat:
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 7, 2011 7:19 pm

muddyface wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that part, an 800 foot open air rappel would be pretty sweet, or a 250 footer if you further away from the center of the bridge.

Actually I think the shortest distance that's rappeled is around 600'.
That's also where they put the Bridge Day ascending ropes.
Last edited by Carl Amundson on Apr 8, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby jharman2 » Apr 8, 2011 11:38 am

Sungura wrote:So um...I in no way want to *do* it :rofl: but it looks so pretty! I have no clue how teams and whatnot work though, is it possible to just go and watch? Maybe hike down to the bottom and back up or something? And just walk out on the catwalk or whatever it is under the bridge just to see the view? I mean just walking out under the bridge is scary enough for me, I'm good with that but I bet some pretty sweeeeeeeeet photos I could get from there! I'd just want to go and watch and take pictures but actually be able to get closer to things and not have to stay where public has to stay (I assume there are barricades and such to keep folks who shouldn't be there away?).

Yes, you can walk across the bridge, watch the BASE jumpers and the rappellers. You can also bike or hike to the bottom and watch the jumpers and rappellers come in. You can usually get a ride back to the top on a bus although that is discouraged for folks that aren't jumping or rappelling. Each year our team (Mon Grotto) has several folks that come out just to enjoy bridge day and support the team. They always have a blast!

You are not allowed on the catwalk during Bridge Day. However, through http://www.bridgewalk.com/ you can actually schedule a tour and walk out along the catwalk on other days of the year. They provide safety equipment and it looks like it would be a nice time.

Bridge Day is one of the coolest festivals that I know of and Fayetteville is a great little town. By all means, come out and enjoy it!
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby Marduke » Apr 8, 2011 12:22 pm

jharman2 wrote: You can usually get a ride back to the top on a bus although that is discouraged for folks that aren't jumping or rappelling.

That really bugged me last year. Tons of lazy tourists filling up the buses so there are no seats left for PAYING riders trying to get back up to the top of the bridge for more jumps/rappels.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 8, 2011 1:03 pm

Marduke wrote:
jharman2 wrote: You can usually get a ride back to the top on a bus although that is discouraged for folks that aren't jumping or rappelling.

That really bugged me last year. Tons of lazy tourists filling up the buses so there are no seats left for PAYING riders trying to get back up to the top of the bridge for more jumps/rappels.

Ah well if i'm on your team I'm not shy, I'll fuss about it. And I'm a ninja! I have no qualms doing the "HEY YOU GUYS this is for people PARTICIPATING only, and we need to get back up to the top. If you want us to continue to entertain you and others doing this crazy shit, let us on now! Any seats not taken by those of us this bus is for, feel free to fill up. But we are the paying passengers and YOU are standby, and must wait for us." and while saying that cutting right in and making room for the rest of the peeps with me to get on.

That's how I roll. :boxing:
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 8, 2011 1:10 pm

Ah here is the image I was looking for...a friend of mine put together this cute little gif of me being all ninja.

self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Apr 8, 2011 4:46 pm

I must say Sungura, you are entertaining. :big grin:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 8, 2011 5:03 pm

I'll be there.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Apr 8, 2011 9:29 pm

tncaver wrote:I must say Sungura, you are entertaining. :big grin:

:clap: Second that! :laughing:

Chads93GT wrote:I'll be there.

:kewl: Been there, done that....have fun! :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 8, 2011 9:50 pm

::bows::

Thank you ladies and gentleman, I'll be here all week!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caver Events