Spam problem on Cavechat

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Spam problem on Cavechat

Postby pub » Apr 1, 2011 7:24 pm

oops, i didn't mean to exclude the mods and the behind the scenes people who helped :doh:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 1, 2011 8:59 pm

No worries. We minion mods just swatted flies. :wink: David Grimes is the hero for figuring out how to close the door to keep the rotters out, then doing the cleanup work. We're lucky to have him! :patriotic:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby pub » Apr 1, 2011 10:16 pm

:woohoo: That's what I meant in my Kudos... David has to clean up the schist so there are less flies to swat but the mods have to takes care of those that get through the screen :rofl:
Swat on... :boxing:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Apr 1, 2011 11:01 pm

I am glad you noticed, I made some code changes that are automatically blocking most bot registrations. Luckily the spam has been reduced to manageable levels and we are still working to bring it to zero or as close as possible. The mods have done a great job deleting the ones that still slip through but at least we are no longer getting 100+ spam registrations per day.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby pub » Apr 1, 2011 11:08 pm

Exactly...

One plus is the spammers knocks the dust off some interesting dormant topics :laughing:
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Apr 1, 2011 11:13 pm

Thats true in some part but the issue with that is I get a bunch of emails from people who have subscribed to those topics. When the apammers post to them these people get a message but by the time they get there the mods have already deleted the spam postings and everyone is confused about why they recieved a message saying there was a post on the thread.

I do agree though I have seen some interesting old topics get bumped by spammers and then regain momentum. The biggest task now is getting rid of the spammer accounts that had registered but not posted spam, I have deleted over 1000 and there are still more.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby PYoungbaer » Apr 6, 2011 8:48 am

I was just remarking to myself last night that the volume of spam seemed to have disappeared. This morning I saw this thread. All I can say is, "BRAVO!"
:clap: :banana_yay: :clap: :clap: :banana: :clap:
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Previous

Return to Please Read