2011 Sera Cave Carnival

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2011 Sera Cave Carnival

Postby cavergirl » Mar 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Marduke wrote:What would be the chance of getting GPS coordinates for the campground? Please PM me if you don't want them posted publicly.

Sorry, I don't have those. the address is 482 Wildheart Lane, Sewanee, Marion County, TN
Last edited by cavergirl on Mar 25, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

11 hours...eeeeesh. Ok that is 2 tanks of gas oneway so 4 total so about $200 at current prices.

Alrighty flying with a good deal is about equivalent.

OK so who wants to plan on picking me up from Nashville airport? Anyone? Do I see any hands of volunteers? Atlanta is sometimes cheaper to fly to, any volunteers from Atlanta? Huntsville is prob more $$ to fly to but willing to take volunteers from there as well!

Must be someone, right? :) Although since SW flies to Nashville that is probably the cheapest as I can check bags, so then I can bring my sleeping bag/tent/vertical gear easier than figuring out how to lug that all in carryon.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

Sungura wrote:11 hours...eeeeesh. Ok that is 2 tanks of gas oneway so 4 total so about $200 at current prices.

Alrighty flying with a good deal is about equivalent.

OK so who wants to plan on picking me up from Nashville airport? Anyone? Do I see any hands of volunteers? Atlanta is sometimes cheaper to fly to, any volunteers from Atlanta? Huntsville is prob more $$ to fly to but willing to take volunteers from there as well!

Must be someone, right? :) Although since SW flies to Nashville that is probably the cheapest as I can check bags, so then I can bring my sleeping bag/tent/vertical gear easier than figuring out how to lug that all in carryon.

Consider Birmingham as well.... SW previously allowed an addtional "Gear" bag in the past, check their website.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 22, 2011 12:01 pm

SW allows 2 free checked bags on all their flights, can't beat that! :) Very handy when traveling with caving/camping stuffs.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 25, 2011 8:30 am

AMY - I can pick you up in ATLANTA for the event if you fly into here.

All - I was elected as Vice Chair of SERA last weekend at the meeting. If anyone has any concerns they would like to bring to the attn of the SERA board please feel free to email me directly rowland7840@bellsouth.net.

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 25, 2011 8:45 am

ALSO, If anyone would like a copy of the Registration Form email me (rowland7840@bellsouth.net). Pre registration ends May 21st. The registration form has NOT been posted to the SERA site yet. We have created a facebook page, just search for 60th Annual SERA Summer Cave Carnival or find the link on my facebook wall.

This year will be a simple, no frills, SERA. There will be vendors on site. There will be no individual campfires, but you can bring your grill!, NO Dogs allowed on site either. We are working on getting signup sheets for volunteers. If you are interested in helping out please email me. We will need folks to help work registration and some help on work weekends prior to the event.

The dates of the event are June 10-12. You can pay an extra $5 if you want to arrive on June 9. Pre registration is $20, at the door is $25. NON NSS Members pay $25 to pre register or $30 at the door. Children under 18 are $5. Day passes will be $10. There will be a guidebook, most likely in B/W due to the SERA budget. There will be no T-shirt however we are working on asking past hosts to bring their leftovers and sell them on a consignment basis. We will have some sort of stencil and artwork for this years event that can be put on an older shirt.

Oh and as far as 2013 - CAG will be hosting.

Kelly
^V^
:grin:
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Mar 25, 2011 6:44 pm

The registration form has gone through it's final revision and will be posted on the SERA website this weekend.
The Vendor registration form will be posted there as well. I am the vendor chair, if you would like to vend, feel free to PM me.
The Central Alabama Grotto is looking into T-shirt options, and will be handling that. There might be a 2011 shirt and we may be selling shirts from past carnivals as well. Additional information will be forthcoming.
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby mgmills » Mar 25, 2011 7:06 pm

rowland7840 wrote:ALSO, If anyone would like a copy of the Registration Form email me (rowland7840@bellsouth.net). Pre registration ends May 21st. The registration form has NOT been posted to the SERA site yet. We have created a facebook page, just search for 60th Annual SERA Summer Cave Carnival or find the link on my facebook wall.

Kelly
^V^
:grin:

Is the facebook page already up? I just searched for it as listed above and did not find it.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 25, 2011 7:10 pm

self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Sungura wrote:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_207856249227269

Thanks Amy, don't know why it wouldn't come up when I typed it in. Maybe I typed it incorrectly, but I did get a link to the SERA Website when I typed it in on facebook search.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 25, 2011 7:42 pm

mgmills wrote:

Thanks Amy, don't know why it wouldn't come up when I typed it in. Maybe I typed it incorrectly, but I did get a link to the SERA Website when I typed it in on facebook search.

No probs! I found it by going to Kelly's fb page and finding the link there, since the search didn't work for me either, maybe because it is a closed group? I dunno, I just asked to be added into it.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 26, 2011 9:36 am

Sungura wrote:
mgmills wrote:

No probs! I found it by going to Kelly's fb page and finding the link there, since the search didn't work for me either, maybe because it is a closed group? I dunno, I just asked to be added into it.

I did notice it asked for people to join the group. I don't usually join groups for events due to the increased volume of messages on my facebook page (sometimes I don't check it daily and it gets too much to read everything). It is just my opinion and not worth much but I think groups for events should be "open" if the intent is to promote the event.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Mar 26, 2011 9:53 am

rchrds wrote:Don't know if I should post this, as I have an inside line, but The cave carnival IS still happening- it IS going to back to basics, it might be at Maureen Handlers, folks from all over, including the Nashville Grotto, will be taking care of the details, and it is later than usual, and this is the fuzzy part for me, but I thought I heard June. I am by far not any sort of authority, I am in Afghanistan, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Jason

I am replying to a post from early in this thread. It hasn't been mentioned in later posts which state that the event will be on the Monteagle Mountain but the event is being held on Maureen Handler's property. This will help some folks (especially those in the TAG area) locate the venue for the event.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 27, 2011 10:17 am

It is an open group. Facebook has changed how "groups" are set up.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Is anyone going from northern areas???? I want a carpool =( I'm in Michigan! I'm guessing I basically drive down I75 to get there, ha! Or anyone willing to do an airport pickup at Nashville or something, maybe?
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events