Bats make lifelong friendships just like humans

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bats make lifelong friendships just like humans

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 17, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm bats about you! Scientists find nocturnal mammals form long-lasting relationships just like humans :bananabat:
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:13 PM on 9th February 2011

* Microchip tracking of bats reveals surprisingly stable social sub-units
Bats make lifelong friendships just like humans, according to scientists.

The nocturnal creatures - the only mammals that are able to fly - keep family and friends close, a five-year study of over 20,000 roosting observations in Germany has concluded.

Their social structure is so strong it resembles that of elephants, dolphins, some carnivores and certain non-human primates including chimpanzees, all of whom can maintain enduring friendships.

Read on:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... s-say.html
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Bats make lifelong friendships just like humans

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 18, 2011 1:32 am

awwww!
Bats are awesome. They are so cute. I really wish there were some domesticated ones because I'd totally get a pet bat if I could.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Mar 17, 2011 5:28 am

Sungura wrote:awwww!
Bats are awesome. They are so cute. I really wish there were some domesticated ones because I'd totally get a pet bat if I could.

Weeeeeeeellllllll......we had 2 different pet opossums over the years & they started off completely wild so I assume something similar could happen with a bat under the right circumstances. However, the opossums were just dumb luck combined with the general weirdness that always seems to surround people in my family :laughing:. I wouldn't recommend setting out with the idea of trying to domesticate any wild animal because that rarely seems to end well.

Bats make lifelong friendships just like humans, eh? Great, even BATS are ahead of me when it comes to social skills. I don't have ANY friends I'm close to now whom I've been friends with since childhood. I still talk to several of my childhood/high school friends but we're not even close to being the friends we once were. Life happened and we grew apart.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 17, 2011 9:00 am

Merlin Tuttle had a pet fruit bat for years. He would bring it to convention with him.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Everything Bats