2011 Karst Field Studies Program - Kentucky June 13-25, 2011

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2011 Karst Field Studies Program - Kentucky June 13-25, 2011

Postby HoffmanWKU » Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

2011 Karst Field Studies Program - Mammoth Cave and Bowling Green, Kentucky
Classes offered this year include: Karst Geology, Exploration of Mammoth Cave, Cave Archaeology, Theory and Applications of Karst Hydrology, Speleology and Cave and Karst Resource Management. Classes begin on June 13-25, 2011. For Registration information go to http://caveandkarst.wku.edu/summerclasses.html
or email karst.field.studies@wku.edu.
HoffmanWKU
Infrequent Poster

Re: 2011 Karst Field Studies Program - Kentucky June 13-25, 2011

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 5, 2011 3:17 pm

I keep hearing that this is awesome to do, but I can't find out any information about scholarships. There isn't any way I'm afford $500 for class, and also paying out for lodging and stuff, probably easily a $1000 to do it. Cavers really have that much money?! Maybe I've just been a poor grad student too long...I don't have scholarships either so it's not like I could work it out as school credit and get it paid for that way.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 5, 2011 3:52 pm

HoffmanWKU wrote:2011 Karst Field Studies Program - Mammoth Cave and Bowling Green, Kentucky
Classes offered this year include: Karst Geology, Exploration of Mammoth Cave, Cave Archaeology, Theory and Applications of Karst Hydrology, Speleology and Cave and Karst Resource Management. Classes begin on June 13-25, 2011. For Registration information go to http://caveandkarst.wku.edu/summerclasses.html
or email karst.field.studies@wku.edu.

This could be why WNS hasn't been found in Kentucky as of yet? It would destroy their program.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Mar 6, 2011 7:03 pm

Sungura, depending on the course you take, lodging is usually available at the CRF Hamilton Valley "Caver Motel" facility for the week at very reasonable rates.

You can camp in the yard for even less, maybe free, and this has been done.

Sometimes groups buy food together to make meals in the CRF kitchen. More money saved.

I have taken several of these and found them to be worth far more than the fee. I would recommend Exploration of Mammoth Cave with Dr. Sides or Speleology with Roger Brucker for you. The knowledge you gain will be priceless but the introductions to speleologist and the friendships you have an opportunity to make are worth even more.

Scape up the money and sign up. Get there. Camp in the yard. Take food and cook your own meals. It really is worth the fee.

You should contact registration and confirm that these cost savings are available.

Brianc are you implying that WNS is in Kentucky but has not been officially "found" because it would disrupt this program...like a conspiracy...like a lie? I live on Pine Mountain in Eastern Kentucky at the edge of the current WNS Virginia hot zone. WNS should be here but it has not been found. There is no conspiracy and there is no lie. Maybe you are just a jokester. Consider putting "Heh" or "LOL" or "Ha Ha" at the end of statements like these to help with communication.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby John Lovaas » Mar 6, 2011 7:16 pm

Sungura wrote:I keep hearing that this is awesome to do, but I can't find out any information about scholarships. There isn't any way I'm afford $500 for class, and also paying out for lodging and stuff, probably easily a $1000 to do it.

Nope- $475 covers the (non credit or CUE) workshop costs, and 'm almost certain the $10/day to stay at Hamilton Valley is included in the workshop cost. You can confirm that with the registration contact. As it is, they'd only charge you $55 for (air conditioned and chigger-free) lodging for the week.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 6, 2011 9:15 pm

Crockett wrote:
Brianc are you implying that WNS is in Kentucky but has not been officially "found" because it would disrupt this program...like a conspiracy...like a lie? I live on Pine Mountain in Eastern Kentucky at the edge of the current WNS Virginia hot zone. WNS should be here but it has not been found. There is no conspiracy and there is no lie. Maybe you are just a jokester. Consider putting "Heh" or "LOL" or "Ha Ha" at the end of statements like these to help with communication.

Many remarks I make are very sarcastic to be sure, mostly, I make them to provoke thought.

Factually, it would be almost impossible for WNS to not be in Kentucky,

In the late 70's and early 80's I spent much time caving in Ky. I spent time with the late very gracious Tom Crockett ,Thanksgivings and around the pool table, and was one of the first to show his wife Cathy the finer aspects of caving. I am not being a jokester here. I made a very hypothetical statement concerning the very research state that cavers have lost caving to because of White Nose Syndrome. The hypothetical human spread of WNS is why I made the very derogatory remark, yet it is still hypothetical. Fair is fair in love and (what was that other word).
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Mar 7, 2011 12:01 am

BrianC wrote:
Crockett wrote:

Many remarks I make are very sarcastic to be sure, mostly, I make them to provoke thought.

Factually, it would be almost impossible for WNS to not be in Kentucky,

In the late 70's and early 80's I spent much time caving in Ky. I spent time with the late very gracious Tom Crockett ,Thanksgivings and around the pool table, and was one of the first to show his wife Cathy the finer aspects of caving. I am not being a jokester here. I made a very hypothetical statement concerning the very research state that cavers have lost caving to because of White Nose Syndrome. The hypothetical human spread of WNS is why I made the very derogatory remark, yet it is still hypothetical. Fair is fair in love and (what was that other word).

Fair enough Brian. I can accept prodding for thought. It worked.

Tom Crockett was my father but not that Tom Crockett. That Tom was my friend. He and Cathy were indeed gracious. I had not returned to Sloan's Valley for almost 30 years when this photo of me was taken at the Post Office in spring 2006... Cathy had already passed away and that day was the last time I saw Tom.

http://caves.org/committee/salons/Print ... htm#Tunnel

We are almost off topic but "Kentucky" and "Karst" is in the subject.

Sungura, ask Grottos and/or other groups to partially sponsor you in exchange for an article or presentation about your experience? You might get some takers.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 7, 2011 8:55 am

sponsorship is a good idea, i'll ask around.

This may just be something I have to wait until next year for (I assume it is annual?) though.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 7, 2011 9:52 am

All,

Just FYI, as of this weekend, Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources has check about 85 sites, and there is no sign of WNS. They are still checking.

Re: the Mammoth field studies, I would expect any attendees will need to abide by the new Mammoth Cave WNS Response Plan in terms of gear and decon:
http://www.nps.gov/maca/parkmgmt/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=330269
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Return to Caver Events