Living for free in a Cave

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Living for free in a Cave

Postby CaverMC » Aug 7, 2009 9:24 pm

I guess I was thinking about federal land, not state, local, or private property. Teresa mentioned national parks, state parks, and forests. In this case, with the exception of state parks, it seems to me, with the passing of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1979, that a homestead claimant would have to prove that they possessed and developed the land before 1979. I'm saying, someone can't go on BLM, National Forest, or National Park Service land these days and set up a homestead claim. In the case of private property, I've heard that if someone didn't pay their property tax for a certain amount of years, someone could go in and pay the taxes and claim the property. I think I actually heard of someone loosing their land this way.
CaverMC
Infrequent Poster

Name: Matt Crass

Postby Alabama John » Sep 4, 2009 5:27 am

if the owner doesn't pay their taxes for 2 years and you have paid them, then its yours. The owner has the right to come in and pay you back your tax money plus interest for the amount you paid in the first 2 years. You have a clouded title for 7 years, but, after paying 7 years you get a clear title in Alabama.
Lots of people have left a generation or two ago, and their family doesn't know they even had any property or died that had no family. I've known folks to get farms and sizable pieces of property this way. Another way is to fence a piece of abandoned property and put a structure on it, thus improving it, and after 7 years its yours.
Alabama John
Infrequent Poster

Living for free in a Cave

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 6, 2009 10:09 am

Here's another weird article on the same subject, but in the State of Colorado. :yikes: The grotto cavers were involved in cleaning up Cave of the Clouds recently, so...read away: http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/136458
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby basjr » Sep 7, 2009 9:01 am

mine.....mine.....mine.....Wow........ I love how this became a legal description of laws and ordinances of the states involved. It all comes down to human greed, we want to own, control, and dictate everything around us. This is funny. At some point people need to realize that we cannot really own anything, but simply borrow it for a short time, unless perhaps you are immortal. People living in caves is as primal and as basic as you get.
I might be a "cave" man, but i am no neanderthal!
Basjr
basjr
Occasional Poster

Name: Brett Allen Smith Jr.

Previous

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum